Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007   #1
YahooPete

YahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the rough
Blocked Domains feature launching October 2007

Hi there,

As an advertiser, you want quality traffic –qualified clicks from users most likely to become customers. Our new Blocked Domains feature, planned for launch later this month, is just one of several ways Yahoo! is working to improve the value of the traffic that we deliver to you.

Yahoo! Blocked Domains:

•Can block your ads from up to 250 web sites
•Works with Sponsored Search and Content Match
•Blocks sites on your entire account
•Complements pricing discounts

We’ve posted a more detailed article on the new features on our Yahoo! Search Marketing blog: http://www.ysmblog.com/blog/2007/10/...affic-quality/

All the best,
YahooPete
YahooPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #2
chris1
Low-gravity fun for everyone!

chris1 is on a distinguished road
Re: Blocked Domains feature launching October 2007

This is great news!
chris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Yes at least they have not added the max bid pricing model yet.... MSN just went the way of Google.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #4
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road

At last! Is this going to be available in the UK at the same time as the USA?
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #5
MSI

MSI is on a distinguished road

I won't hold my breath that it will work. I tried the blocking they can do now and it had a negative affect on my client's account and Yahoo could not explain why. How can I block aprox 300 clicks per day with 3 conversions and have the account clicks RAISE by more than 300 and conversions were cut in half.I had them remove the blocking and the account showed improvement

I would suggest great CAUTION when first using this feature. They still haven't gotten some publishers to UN-MASK their traffic that STILL shows in teh Non-reffered category when it is truly REFERED traffic. How can blocking go into place if that has not been resolved?

I will try the blocking again, but I will do it ONE publisher at a time until I figure out which ones cause problems when they are blocked........
MSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007   #6
MSI

And what good is being able to block only 250 sites when I have can have over 1500 referes per day????????? Is that why when you block one big publisher they throw 50 new little sites on you and clicks go up with more bad business????? What good will it do then?
Old 10-04-2007   #7
YahooPete

YahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the roughYahooPete is a jewel in the rough

Hi there, “Sem4u,”

Thanks for your feedback.

Initially, Blocked Domains will be available in the US and Korea. We plan to roll out Blocked Domains in other markets next year.

I’ll keep you posted.

All my best,
YahooPete
YahooPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #8
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

On some Google accounts we block up to 120 content sites/day. I was told by an "important Y! Exec" that they have a different way of doing site blocking than Google, and that, Y! has far fewer questionable publishers than google, it will be rare if an advertiser reaches the 250 limit.

Just pure bull.

It didnt help that during this intimate meeting of only a few advertisers and two "important Y! Execs" One continued to scratch down notes with somewhat placid interest. I was curious and I watched him "write". The quick long strokes looked more like that of doodles. So after the meeting I quickly walked right up behind his seat and got a first hand look at his "notes" on our input. About 3 bullet points and the rest; a full page of high school grade doodles.

I'm very happy to see Y! implement this feature, however, dont ruin your introduction of site exclusion with BS - that was the Yahoo of old. Just give it to us straight, we'll understand and adapt.

Detailed referral reports
Unlimited site exclusion

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #9
MSI

Here is my example to show how little blocking 250 publishers will help....

In the month of Spetember I had 1700 (rounded) various publishers in my referer reports. Of those 1700 about 200 had conversions (good business). So I want to keep those 200, Yahoo will let me block 250, so what do I do with the other 1250?????

Well according to Yahoo I will just have to put up with it and I'm lucky they're about to implement blocking at all.

This is just like QBP!!!!!! Looks good, but it is really just fluff to make them look good and has no real teeth for advertisers.

By the way YahooPete. I noticed how you just ignored my questions, and have been might I add..... Are they going to get the Non-Referered category straightened out??? I can prove they still haven't as of right now......