Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2004   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Search Engine Personalization: Growing, but Still Weak

"Personalized" search is hot. In the past weeks, we've seen Amazon's a9.com and Ask Jeeves' beta of MyJeeves launch with some interesting search history and content saving features. We've also seen Looksmart acquire Furl, a nifty web page clipping service that let's you create your own searchable "personal web."

Today we have the launch of My Yahoo Search which allows you to tweak and save Yahoo search results in a similar way to MyJeeves.

While it's great to see all of this interest in personalizing search, these efforts all seem timid and don't offer many really compelling reasons to use them. In today's SearchDay article, Yahoo Introduces Personal Search, I describe the new service, and why I probably won't be using it until the inevitable enhancements appear in the future.

Danny also weighs in with an article for Search Engine Watch members, Search Personalization: A Marketer's Perspective, where he provides tips for search marketers on preparing for the coming of personalized search results, including a close-up look at how the My Yahoo Search "Block Site" feature works.

Anyone else using these new services? Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? Remember, search engine reps read these boards and welcome constructive commentary. Post away!

Chris
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I personally feel personalize search should be an option and continue to be that way. Will it ever be 'stronger' then standard search? By that, I think stronger means that it will be utilized more.

I don't use many personalized search services. I am not sure if I want to see different results than the average Joe. Its been talked about for a while now, still waiting to see what will happen.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Oh,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Sherman
Today we have the launch of My Yahoo Search which allows you to tweak and save Yahoo search results in a similar way to MyJeeves.
I believe the link is http://mysearch.yahoo.com/ not http://my.yahoo.com/
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #4
Brad
A Usual Suspect

Brad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Anyone else using these new services? Comments? Criticisms? Suggestions? Remember, search engine reps read these boards and welcome constructive commentary. Post away!
I keep trying to use the personalized searches, but frankly they never quite take. Ask still has too many PPC ads in the SERPs, I always seem to be not logged in to A9 when I search so there goes the personalization (besides it is just reheated Google.)

Heck I'm having more fun "personalizing" Clusty.com tabs, specifying the engines and directories I want, than I have ever had with the searches that try to remember search histories and stuff.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #5
rcjordan
There are a lot of truths out there. Just choose one that suits you. -Wes Allison

rcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to allrcjordan is a name known to all
VCR/DVD Whistles & Bells: Growing, but Still Weak
rcjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #6
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
think about the data they could capture like how many times a site has been blocked

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #7
seomike
Md_Rewrite Guru

seomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to beholdseomike is a splendid one to behold
Another cool function would be a memory freeze on the SERPS. That way if the rankings change when you called up the search from memory they would be how they were before any change.
seomike is offline   Reply With Quote