Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2007   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Google Flooding Serps With Google Book Listings

Seems there has been a noticed influx of Google Book listings in the organic serps. Try a search for "building wealth" and look at page four results and beyond.

I blogged about it but really want to see what others have noticed. Any info would be appreciated.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #2
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Google Flooding Serps With Google Book Listings

Hope Im not misquoting him, but I think aaron wall noticed something similar on his blog recently (I think it was just one phrase with a link to google results for one of his sites, though and i dont remember what post it was ;-( ).

Could be possible that Im mistaking somebody else's blog for his, but Im almost sure it was on his one...Ive definitely read that somewhere recently, though.
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #3
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

I looked and could not find it.... will call him tomorrow
Old 09-23-2007   #4
NewKidOnTheBlock

NewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of lightNewKidOnTheBlock is a glorious beacon of light

This is it (didnt remember it was from a month ago, though):

http://www.seobook.com/archives/002440.shtml
NewKidOnTheBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007   #5
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

I've been seeing book listings in the 30+ SERP range since the release of Google Universal Search. That said, I'm in the "Collegiate Marketing" business and I thought this was due to "Books" being part of "Universal". If you are seeing this more and more, perhaps Google is expanding the program more in your industry SERPS and/or authors in your industry are listing more books?

At work, we have major book publisher who has said that they don't want their books published on "Google Book Search". Either way, their publication is in every library in the US! As a result their publication is part of "Google Book Search" only the link associated goes to the library and not their site.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #6
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

This is really a non issue. Last week, those results were on page one. Let Google have page four. ;-)
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #7
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick View Post
This is really a non issue. Last week, those results were on page one. Let Google have page four. ;-)
But the huge influx creates displacement and slows down other pages getting past them.
Old 09-24-2007   #8
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

What I'm most curious about is why each of these book results is standalone and not the usual 1 + 1 indented per page.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #9
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeetle View Post
What I'm most curious about is why each of these book results is standalone and not the usual 1 + 1 indented per page.
true... has to be something with the coding... managing 3-4 a page is something I had not thought of in terms of grouping etc.
Old 09-24-2007   #10
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbeetle View Post
Good point, never considered that issue!
Old 09-25-2007   #11
AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea can only hope to improve

This can be expected, YouTube listings are displayed prominently also.

Why should they not, Google sites are important to users of Google, to be fair their products should be included.

I see Google sending traffic to Yahoo video and MSNBC portals quite a bit and ranking their stuff high, so they are going to include their own stuff to be fair about it if they send traffic to the competition, quite a bit of it too.
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007   #12
AussieWebmaster

yeah but 4 listings on a page?????
Old 09-26-2007   #13
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of

Only 4? :-)

Aaron's story that NewKid mentioned above links to a screenshot that showed 13 books.google results on a 30 result page; that search currently shows 9.

I'm in a bit of a muddle here. We know Google is aware of the issue and aware of the discussions surrounding it -- with no public reaction. So, is this a bug that G is quietly addressing internally? Or, is this how the Big G is going to be treating results from its subs from now on?
Old 09-26-2007   #14
beu

WOW, I don't see any of those ding dang NIFTY, lightbulb icons for "books" in my results!

I'm using OS 10.4.10 & Firefox 2.0.0.7 and my "books" results blend into the rest of the results page. Thought that was part of the issue in question here?

Do you need to write an SEO Book to get pretty lights?

Last edited by beu : 09-27-2007 at 12:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2007   #15
jimbeetle

He, he, he. I think (hope) that was Aaron's touch so folks wouldn't have to work too hard to find 'em.
Old 09-26-2007   #16
AussieWebmaster

Yeah I tend to agree with that one.... a little sarcasm on Aaron's part - as in what a bright idea!!
Old 09-27-2007   #17
beu

Lightbulb Re: Google Flooding Serps With Google Book Listings

Thought so but, just wanted to be sure we were all seeing and talking about the same thing here!

What a prankster, that Wall kid!