Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2007   #1
denemante

denemante is on a distinguished road
clean SEO/ranking swap from one site to another?

Hello,

We have a site (we'll call it Site A), and it's strong. #1 on Google for important keywords. Makes lots of money, and almost all traffic is from Google. And there's really just a few key pages that are ranked and make all that traffic happen.

For reasons beyond our control, we must develop an entirely new site (Site B) with a different name and different URL - but everything else will be identical. When I say "identical", however, I mean its the identical product at least. Site A will also remain up and running as usual.

Site A was built 6 years ago with an old e-commerce platform. Works great, ranks great, but looks pretty beat. So for Site B we're planning on using the same e-comm platform but a newer release, and general graphics and overall style will be improved.

We basically want new Site B to just replace Site A. And in a perfect world - all rankings everywhere will just become Site B's.

Since Site B will have altered content (we'll still try to dupliate any SEO we've done internally on Site A), I'm thinking we may have an uphill battle.

I've also thought that we can leave Site A up and running and unchanged - but just put big, obvious links on it to Site B. So traffic will continue to come through Site A, but hopefully end up at Site B.

Finally - Site A has a steller page rank. If we fill it with links to Site B (and since it's the same industry), could perhaps Site A boost natural rankings for Site A, and in short order, we end up with 2 sites in the top of the rankings?
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #2
Rajat Garg
Rajat Garg

Rajat Garg is on a distinguished road
Re: clean SEO/ranking swap from one site to another?

This is large and complex project. I think you should get a consultant before you make this switch for comprehensive guidance.

Few things you must do:

1. Keep Site A running. Else, expect to loose large portion (may be 100%) of organic traffic.
2. Link from Site A to Site B in a phased manner e.g. pages with lower PR (which has its own issues) / newer pages / pages not indexed in Google should be redirected first.
3. All redirects MUST be 301.
4. Switch your sitemap to point to site B in the same manner as #2.
5. Keep IP address same if possible for site B
6. Build enough link juice for Site B at the same time (i.e. Market your new brand)

Once enough traffic is coming onto Site B from organic results, switch to Site B completely. Again, 301 redirect all old pages to new pages.

If you do all above and phase the deployment over 1-4 months (depending on how big your site is), you may still loose 10-40% of your organic traffic. However, you will be able to recoup that within couple of months.

Above is based on my experience and I hope others will pitch in too.

Rajat Garg
Rajat Garg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #3
whitehat
SEO1

whitehat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajat Garg View Post
This is large and complex project. I think you should get a consultant before you make this switch for comprehensive guidance.

Few things you must do:

1. Keep Site A running. Else, expect to loose large portion (may be 100%) of organic traffic.
2. Link from Site A to Site B in a phased manner e.g. pages with lower PR (which has its own issues) / newer pages / pages not indexed in Google should be redirected first.
3. All redirects MUST be 301.
4. Switch your sitemap to point to site B in the same manner as #2.
5. Keep IP address same if possible for site B
6. Build enough link juice for Site B at the same time (i.e. Market your new brand)

Once enough traffic is coming onto Site B from organic results, switch to Site B completely. Again, 301 redirect all old pages to new pages.

If you do all above and phase the deployment over 1-4 months (depending on how big your site is), you may still loose 10-40% of your organic traffic. However, you will be able to recoup that within couple of months.

Above is based on my experience and I hope others will pitch in too.

Rajat Garg
Some good info here from Rajat

I agree with all he has said, but have a couple of queries really.

Are you going to be retaining ownership of Site A?
Will it have to close down due to this 'mysterious reason'?

No matter how this is done you will lose organic traffic and some PR by switching to the site B.

but I think how you plan the move and also rebuilding your 'new' brand will be crucial to making it as small a loss as possible..
whitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #4
denemante

denemante is on a distinguished road

We will always have full access to Site A, and can do with it what we want. But we have some new technical functionality that is impossible with Site A, so we're forced to build a new site (rather than retrofit it onto Site A).

So really, we've got Site A that sells widgets. Site B sells widgets you can customize.
denemante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007   #5
whitehat
SEO1

Quote:
Originally Posted by denemante View Post
We will always have full access to Site A, and can do with it what we want. But we have some new technical functionality that is impossible with Site A, so we're forced to build a new site (rather than retrofit it onto Site A).

So really, we've got Site A that sells widgets. Site B sells widgets you can customize.
Why don't you build the new site on a test server....name all your high PR pages the same, and make sure it is fully working.
and then migrate to the new site over one weekend? meaning you avoid all the risks associated with starting with a new domain (that will be sandboxed if it is not 'aged')

Then you can build a new site if you want to still have an extra site and orgaincally grow it and link to it from your main site as it builds?

or Im guessing these are not possibilities or you would not be about to use a new domain?!
Old 09-24-2007   #6
Webmaster T

Webmaster T is a jewel in the roughWebmaster T is a jewel in the roughWebmaster T is a jewel in the rough

I would not crosslink them especially if they are on the same IP. Note that Google will figure out almost immediately you are running two sites. How? If you don't think Google watch the domain registrations then.... you might want to look into it. IMO, every new entry or change in the domain registry triggers a lot of Google activity. If you have restricted access to the record then... IMO, trust starts with a - value.

I would build site B and when it's finished 301 all pages on site A to B. IMO, any time you run two sites with "similar content" you're just a breath away from the supplemental listings. Two sites has and never will be a good SEO strategy. 301 preserves the link juice you've earned and 301ing adds the benefit of the improved design and hopefully the CTR's on the new site.
Webmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007   #7
whitehat
SEO1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webmaster T View Post
I would not crosslink them especially if they are on the same IP. Note that Google will figure out almost immediately you are running two sites. How? If you don't think Google watch the domain registrations then.... you might want to look into it. IMO, every new entry or change in the domain registry triggers a lot of Google activity. If you have restricted access to the record then... IMO, trust starts with a - value.

I would build site B and when it's finished 301 all pages on site A to B. IMO, any time you run two sites with "similar content" you're just a breath away from the supplemental listings. Two sites has and never will be a good SEO strategy. 301 preserves the link juice you've earned and 301ing adds the benefit of the improved design and hopefully the CTR's on the new site.
Agreed.
I thought rajats post was pertaining to totally different or substantially modified content on site B.
I wholeheartedly would advise also against running two very similiar sites as the Big G and Y will most definately work out whats going on and Kaboom you from the useful results
Old 09-24-2007   #8
Rajat Garg
Rajat Garg

Rajat Garg is on a distinguished road

I also agree with Webmaster T. If the content is similar, phased changing won't make sense. Just 301 it if you can have 1:1 (or close) mapping.

If content is substantially different (which I assumed in response) and more, then switching the sites in phased manner helps as your new content gets indexed as you switch from old to new sites.
Rajat Garg is offline   Reply With Quote