Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2007   #1
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
SMA-NA Dissolved

Ian McAnerin announced that SMA-NA, the Search Marketing Association of North America, will be dissolved.

SMA-NA, like SMA-UK and SMA-EU, formed out of frustration with SEMPO. It looks like the UK and EU groups are either dormant or gone too.

Is this a sign that SEMPO has cleaned up their act, or just an inevitable outcome in an industry filled with marketers that are too busy with their own businesses to spend time volunteering for industry groups, even ones that could be worthwhile?
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #2
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
Re: SMA-NA Dissolved

Quote:
Is this a sign that SEMPO has cleaned up their act, or just an inevitable outcome in an industry filled with marketers that are too busy with their own businesses to spend time volunteering for industry groups, even ones that could be worthwhile?
For myself, I think a little bit of both, though I'd love to hear what others think.

SEMPO is doing a pretty good job of providing representation and research so far, and although it's easy for me to complain about things that perhaps I would do differently, I have to temper that with the fact that I'm not a member and can't expect them to be mind readers.

I will say that over the last year I've had nothing but (unofficial) positive meetings and discussions with board members of SEMPO. There seemed to be a general attitude of "working together" rather than competing, on both sides.

As for time, I find I have a lot more sympathy for the growing pains that a fledgling organization in this idustry will go through. It's a lot messier than you might imagine. Kind of like herding cats. Wet cats. Everyone has the best of intentions but no time.

Of all the SEO related organizations so far, the SMA-NA had probably the most goodwill behind it and the most far reaching ideas it intended to put into place. That's a really good start. But it's not enough.

What I'd like to see, personally, is for SEMPO or some other marketing group to pick up the best parts of why people liked and supported the SMA, then implement them. I don't know if that could happen, but I can dream, can't I?

Ian
Old 09-18-2007   #3
Fionn

Fionn is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: SMA-NA Dissolved

I have been a member of both organizions almost since the start. The changes that I have seen in SEMPO over the last 4 years are nothing short of phenonenal and today I am very proud to be a member. Dozens of volunteers help run the organization. The goodwill and man hours given to create the SEMPO Institute was more than we could ever have expected. The early days of SEMPO as a fledgling start up were criticized without mercy and I think the seeds they sowed and their vision is now clear today as SEMPO takes its place as a trade body that is respected and worth being a part of. I think everybody now knows just how hard it is to get a volunteer organization off the ground and I hope that all of the SMA members will bring their love and passion of the industry over to SEMPO theres still lots of work to do one volunteer hour at a time.

Fionn is offline   Reply With Quote