Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2004   #1
Chris Sherman
Executive Editor, SearchEngineWatch.com

Chris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the roughChris Sherman is a jewel in the rough
Yahoo Local Grows Up

Yahoo Local has moved out of beta with a new launch this evening, gaining prominence with its own link on the Yahoo.com home page.

Today's SearchDay article, Yahoo Local Officially Launches, describes the enhancements to the service, including a cleaner look and feel, better relevancy and a more comprehensive database of local listings.

Comments welcome!
Chris Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Wow, only two months in beta. What is this industry coming to?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #3
Brianfontana

Brianfontana is on a distinguished road
Yahoo Local listings

How do you get listed in the Yahoo Local Listings? Does the listing info get picked up from your contact info on your webpsge or how does it work?

HELP.... I"m new...
Brianfontana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #4
YsMike
Official Yahoo! Rep

YsMike will become famous soon enough
Getting listed in Yahoo! Local

Hi Brianfontana,

Glad to help where I can. Have you tried visiting the below site? http://www.content.overture.com/d/USm/ays/lm.jhtml

Let me know if you get the information you need here.

Thanks,

Yahoo! Mike
YsMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2004   #5
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
With Local Match listings you pay only when a customer clicks on your local listing and there is no monthly minimum.
Yahoo Search = organic listings
Local Match = PPC = Overture

Overture Local Match

It may well solve the problem that companies in cities like Los Angeles have being properly found, with it appearing that there are multiple localities referred to as though they're cities themselves, but which are actually completely part of Los Angeles proper itself.

Last edited by Marcia : 10-04-2004 at 08:46 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #6
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
That may be, Marcia.

But I'm in L.A., too, up here in the Santa Clarita Valley (east of Valencia/Magic Mountain); however, I happened to be logged in to my Yahoo account when I visited Local Search and it automatically identified my area as "Canyon Country" which is *also* true. Canyon Country is kind of the east part of Santa Clarita. So, no me in the SERPs.

But it's a great tool; just unfortunate in that this is a small valley up here, and if I'm going to use it, I'd like to see everything within X miles or within the overall area, but can't figure out how to broaden the search.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #7
Sharon and Roy
We Teach An Online SEO Class

Sharon and Roy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV
But it's a great tool; just unfortunate in that this is a small valley up here, and if I'm going to use it, I'd like to see everything within X miles or within the overall area, but can't figure out how to broaden the search.
Hi Diane,

Once you receive your initial set of results you can then broaden your results up to a 50 mile radius.

Just look over on the left side of the results page for the Distance Within: dropdown box to broaden your search.

The default is set to a 5 mile radius.

Your Friends,

Sharon and Roy Montero
Sharon and Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004   #8
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
Ah, thanks, didn't see it.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #9
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
I just submitted a rating for the first time, and got this response:

Quote:
Reviews are generally posted 2-4 days after they've been submitted. Some feedback that is not specific to the business or landmark may not be posted.
So, I'm patiently waiting my 2-4 days to see if this 5 stars I gave to this listing gives it a ranking boost.

If so, what or who validates my comments? Could a competitor kindly say his/her competitor has a poor service in a way it will be accepted?
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #10
Paul

Paul is on a distinguished road
I was thinking to be in Yahoo Local you needed to be listed in Yahoo's Yellow Pages from either BellSouth or InfoUSA. Is this correct at all or am I just flat out wrong?
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004   #11
Shredhead

Shredhead is on a distinguished road
Bring back the Yellow Pages!

Sorry, but Yahoo's Local product is simply not ready for "prime time". As a user, I find this product simply cannot provide local results equel to the IYP. As an advertiser, why would I continue to spend the same fixed monthly charge when it's been made virtually invisible?

A quick example can be demonstrated by searching for "Drugstores" in NY NY. In Local, you'll find 2 drugstores in Manhattan and one office supplies store, plus alot of unrelated stuff. In IYP, you'll get virtually every drugstore in Manhattan...just like the "original" local search engine; the Yellow Pages.

For now, Yahoo should at minimum supplement the local results with the proven, complete and locally accurate IYP content. I think they're too concerned with Google and have taken their eye off of what's important: a proven revenue stream and a great user experience.
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #12
wwi

wwi is on a distinguished road
free listings worthwhile?

So I've entered a client's info into Yahoo! Local's free listings. There is already a link to the client's website. Would there be any benefit to adding a free business website as well? There is a place to add a link to the store. Would having some relevant keywords on the page help in driving traffic to the site?

If I'm thinking about users, not search engines, I think this page might be a waste of time. A user who has found my client's business through Yahoo! Local is one click away from their website. If I add a free website at some yahoo.biz domain, that's at least another click or two away from getting them to the store, and that's some traffic that might get lost.

If I'm thinking about search engines, on the other hand, using the free business website to add relevant content about the site isn't a bad idea. Also, practically speaking, I also want to protect my client (let's call them "Mom and Pop Shop") from a competitor ("Mom and Pop Store") getting a website listing (yahoo.biz/momandpopshop) under my client's name.

It's free, but it's my time - if it's worthwhile, I'm happy to do this for all my clients. Otherwise, I'll make sure they have the Yahoo! Local free listing and leave it at that. Any feedback - votes of confidence would be appreciated!
wwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #13
Daria_Goetsch
SEOExplore.com - SEO Research Directory

Daria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura aboutDaria_Goetsch has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwi
So I've entered a client's info into Yahoo! Local's free listings. There is already a link to the client's website. Would there be any benefit to adding a free business website as well? There is a place to add a link to the store. Would having some relevant keywords on the page help in driving traffic to the site?

If I'm thinking about users, not search engines, I think this page might be a waste of time. A user who has found my client's business through Yahoo! Local is one click away from their website. If I add a free website at some yahoo.biz domain, that's at least another click or two away from getting them to the store, and that's some traffic that might get lost.

If I'm thinking about search engines, on the other hand, using the free business website to add relevant content about the site isn't a bad idea. Also, practically speaking, I also want to protect my client (let's call them "Mom and Pop Shop") from a competitor ("Mom and Pop Store") getting a website listing (yahoo.biz/momandpopshop) under my client's name.

It's free, but it's my time - if it's worthwhile, I'm happy to do this for all my clients. Otherwise, I'll make sure they have the Yahoo! Local free listing and leave it at that. Any feedback - votes of confidence would be appreciated!
It can't hurt to sign up clients for free for the free listing, it's free publicity. I'm not sure about setting up the free website, up to you and the client to try it out. If you have clients who cannot afford to pay to submit to Yahoo then the free listing is an alternative. Time will tell if it is worthwhile.
Daria_Goetsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005   #14
macjet

Yahoo Offers Free Business Web Sites

It sets me to wondering if Google has something similar in mind (free webpages, hosting?) with thier recent move to being a ICANN registrar.

Anything new in this area since announcement?

Brian
Old 04-13-2005   #15
Shredhead

Shredhead is on a distinguished road
Y! Local and the free sites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwi

So, I agree - but I don't think the free sites Yahoo announced today are meant for businesses that have existing sites... it's for the millions (literally) of small bussinesses that have no existing representation. Local search (as opposed to IYP) cannot work without robust, complete database. The landing pages for Y local listing is nice, but a five page site is better! Google's approach to building the local product is impressive, especially with respect to how they ensure the listings accuracy - but Yahoo! has now stepped it up a notch! I just (still) wish their IYP product got more attention; the potential to build upon the existing data and proven YP search structure seems to be a shorter way to "point B", accurate/complete search results.
Shredhead is offline   Reply With Quote