Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2007   #1
shauvik

shauvik is on a distinguished road
Question Plural Forms of Nouns in Adwords

Are the plural forms of nouns considered by Google as other keywords?

Like are: Hotel and Hotels different, when i am bidding for these keywords?? Would bidding on Hotel mean that the Google will consider both my keywords (Hotel and Hotels) here and would display the ad whenever any user types in any one of the two keywords?

Or do i need to mention both of these keywords separately.

I have also heard that the nouns which have simpler plural forms like book(s), Pen(s), Hotel(s) are alright. But when it comes to complex ones like Shelves (Plural of Shelf), Knives (Plural of Knife), Qualities (Plural of Quality), We MUST mention those keywords as individual ones.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.
shauvik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007   #2
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Re: Plural Forms of Nouns in Adwords

Yes, we have found that there are significant differences in ad ranking according to plurals as well as conjunctions, articles and particles.

Use compact campaigns with short keyword list that take advantage of all 3 match types. Over time remove the keyword match types that are not performing well for you.

This will give you the most initial coverage, but then allow you to reduce it down to just the best performers.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #3
adamap

adamap is on a distinguished road

I concur with Discovery. Bid on singular and plurals. I've seen they can have quite different ROI.
adamap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007   #4
Shmuel
PPC Manager

Shmuel is on a distinguished road

I second the concurring. While google says they overlap (which they do) there are still vast differences in clicks & conversions.
Shmuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007   #5
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

Don't know about others but I always have better results with plurals. Better conversions and CTR.

Make sure that the ads are either dynamic or reflect the different keywords.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007   #6
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of

Quote:
Don't know about others but I always have better results with plurals. Better conversions and CTR. [...]
One thing that's interesting to think about (to me at least, but then I'm easily entertained, heheh) is how a word is used in day-to-day conversation and how that might relate to search queries online.

For example drivers do not usually shop for 'tire'. They more typically shop for 'tires', even if they only need one.

Folks searching online would probably search for 'bic pens' rather than a 'bic pen' since they'd likely want to buy in bulk. On the other hand someone might shop for either a 'waterman pen' or 'waterman pens', since a single pen requires a considerable investment.

And so on.

Just sort of thinking aloud here, not really making any sort of actionable point.

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 09-13-2007 at 06:53 PM. Reason: another dang typo!
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote