Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2007   #1
red

red is on a distinguished road
Adwords Monitoring

What should be the ideal steps to follow daily to monitor a ppc campaign?
red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007   #2
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road
Re: Adwords Monitoring

monitor your keywords positions, CTR and Conversions.
of course you'll need to adjust your ads as well in order to maximize these variables.

It all comes down to bottom line. If I give you a nickel and you give me 7 cents, guess whose gonna have a lot of nickels?
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #3
red

thanks for your reply.But please can you tell me that as in last month my campaigns conversion were good but this month they had fallen to half.What could be the reason?
Old 08-29-2007   #4
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Red, I don’t know your background, but if you are not a marketer, an analyst or a programmer then you have a great deal of research and learning to do to answer your question.

Assuming you have all aspects of a solid online marketing machine in place. And that you have a robust well built out PPC campaign on Google, then I would say that you can break your day into these three areas.

Profitability - Staying viable
Performance - Staying on Track
Scale - Be pro-active and continue to test/build/grow

Profitability
Measure your profitability for the prior day. Look at that number in a trend chart. If possible look at the campaigns at an ad group and keyword level according to profit. Make changes where necessary.

Performance
Measure CTR and Conversions and Conversion Costs
Identify poor performing campaigns make adjustments at the campaign, adgroup, ad and keyword level.

Scale:
The two above tasks will identify both good and bad performing campaigns/adgroups/ads/keywords. Make adjustments to increase activity in the good and decrease or fix the bad. You should be A/B testing current campaigns daily and launching new campaigns regularly. Grow your campaigns!

Google and the other engines offer a variety of free tools to generate the reports you need take on these daily tasks. Learn how to make good use of them. And always remember this. Never over steer the car. One off day is no big deal, try to collect data so you can plot trend lines, then when a shift happens you can determine if: It is short or long term, if the cause is your campaigns, it was the marketplace, it was click fraud and then take the proper action.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #5
lizcamps
Online Marketing Manager at Yodle.com

lizcamps is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by red View Post
thanks for your reply.But please can you tell me that as in last month my campaigns conversion were good but this month they had fallen to half.What could be the reason?
I would also add this, if your campaigns are Content-targeted as well as search-targeted. Since the content partners in Google/Yahoo/MSN change all the time i.e. are in flux (esp. Google), that some new content site is taking on your ads and affecting your outcomes.

I always recommend separating search-only and content-only campaigns so you can check whether this is the case. You can always turn off a content-only campaign or even better, identify the "bad" content sites and exclude them.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by lizcamps : 08-29-2007 at 12:50 PM.
lizcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007   #6
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road

while your learning all this...its also a wise idea to get on board with yahoo search marketing and msn adcenter if you haven't already.

Its easy enough to manage all of them in separate tabs with firefox and their all fairly similar.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007   #7
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

yeah if a total newbie you have a bunch of reading etc. to do....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #8
adamap

adamap is on a distinguished road

If you are comparing a whole month to an incomplete month calculate daily averages and look at the changes. Are impressions or clicks down. You might want to look at your position in that case.

If clicks are the same check your destination urls, you might have changed something and users go to a bad page.

Also look at your stats at a daily level and see where things dropped off.

There are a couple of high level troubleshooting tips. I agree with the other posts, research research research.
adamap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007   #9
red

Hi,

Thanks alot to all the members of the forum who replied.
I am a starter in ppc.So need help from all those who are ppc experts.
I am handling a campaign,just need to knw that whta are the basic steps that we shd follow on daily basis to monitor the campaigns performance.