Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2007   #1
Ryan L

Ryan L is on a distinguished road
Change to Algo or just normal indexing changes

I just ran through some of my results page ranking for Yahoo and man-o-man have I taken a nosedive. Looking through G-Analytics its as if my site ceased to exist on Yahoo on August 18th.

Any one else seeing major changes?

I used to Rank 1 for keywords no I am like 46 in one case, in another I dropped like 60....I haven't made any changes to my site, but have been trying to build links(all non-paid).

Am I in a "Bad" Neighborhood?

In mid July I made changes to the site that brought great results; does yahoo value fresh content that highly?
- ie could this just be my ranks settling after an initial ranking "pop"?

Dang!
================================================== ===========
alright thats a lot of questions....understandable....

long short of it......

Anyone else seeing their results dropping unexpectedly on or about last friday?

Last edited by Ryan L : 08-22-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Ryan L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007   #2
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Change to Algo or just normal indexing changes

Ryan, I haven't noticed anything recently, but a while back Yahoo seemed to have taken a dislike to a few of my sites.

Something I've suspected is that it's more important for Yahoo than it used to be to have some strong, solid inbound links.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007   #3
Ryan L

I've been working on those, and Social Bookmarks....

Do you think Yahoo looks at Squidoo as "bad neighborhood"

My only real guess is that:
I just took over as online marketing director...before the pages didn't rank for keywords well at all. I beefed up the density and boom, I was 8 for this keyword and 16 for that keyword etc.

Now I have dropped to page 6 results and so forth. Could this just be normal settling after a 2nd indexing of my site?

Any one seeing a "high" value for fresh content.
Old 08-23-2007   #4
grasshopper

grasshopper will become famous soon enoughgrasshopper will become famous soon enough

i've been seeing some pretty drastic fluctuations in yahoo traffic and rankings over the past week as well.

rule number 1 in any big index refresh / algo update is "be patient". until the update has settled out, and all yahoo's engineers have stopped turning dials, you should do your best to ignore the day-to-day fluctuations. whatever you do, don't start making radical changes to your site based on what you _think_ may have changed.

in many cases, i've gone through updates where i take a significant hit in traffic that can last six weeks, only to get all my traffic back, plus some additional percentage on top of that in week seven. so long as you've been building your site to best practices, be patient. don't start messing with your site architecture, re-writing title tags or content, etc. use the time to build quality links and take a look again in a couple of weeks.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #5
Ryan L

alright so when I check my logs I see tremendous uptick in data transfer on 8/15 going from like 8-12mbs to over 80 on that one day and then settling back down.

I also see in my logs that for keywords I have an unknown as the first and largest by a far amount. Like 1600 to maybe 43 for my next legit keyword.

Also when looking at my referral logs I see that again unknown is outpacing google, yahoo and all the others---like 1400 to 230 for google.
-is "unkown" in server logs just mean a direct hit.
=====================
I think maybe its just my internal traffic but it seems high, just me an one other guy.

Finally when I look at recent spidering in the logs it shows only one "Gigabot" but my g-webmaster tools shows that my site was indexed in said time frame and msn shows a cached version of my site on a date also within server logs time frame.

sorry I know theirs a lot in their but I am concerned as the graphs on g-analytics now show a traffic flatline essentially for the big three and I am getting nervous and looking for the defibrillator.

one of my keywords is at 7.98 density...too much? should I back it down?

Last edited by Ryan L : 08-24-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-24-2007   #6
mphung
mphung

mphung is on a distinguished road

FWIW: I too have seen a lot of fluctuations in Yahoo results recently, and the Yahoo Search Blog has mentioned several changes being rolled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan L View Post
one of my keywords is at 7.98 density...too much? should I back it down?
Whoa! That sounds really unnatural. Can you include a link to the page? I'd love to take a look at it and to see what that would look like.
mphung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007   #7
sdk1988
Trade Show Rental Exhibits & Displays

sdk1988 is on a distinguished road

Yes, I too ranked #3 for a specific keyword for a very long time, and now am around 35-40
sdk1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007   #8
Ryan L

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphung View Post
FWIW: I too have seen a lot of fluctuations in Yahoo results recently, and the Yahoo Search Blog has mentioned several changes being rolled out.

Whoa! That sounds really unnatural. Can you include a link to the page? I'd love to take a look at it and to see what that would look like.
Its a e-cart page so the product descriptions of the individual products are all nearly identical short of like one variable.

Can I post links here?

The products are storage media so the word disk is used a lot.

I know that the page needs more text "content" but I have to submit changes to the text thru our website team where as I can change the text in the product cart myself.