Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2007   #1
poenbek

poenbek is on a distinguished road
Creating Elite Adgroups for Top Keyword Performers

Hi,

Someone told me that for my top keywords, I should delete them from the current adgroup and put them in one of their own. Is this good or bad advice? Also, your current stats/history for those keywords will be lost which I am not sure if it is a good or bad thing!
poenbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #2
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Re: Creating Elite Adgroups for Top Keyword Performers

Quote:
Someone told me that for my top keywords, I should delete them from the current adgroup and put them in one of their own.
I would actually suggest the opposite approach - which would be to keep your best performing keywords right where they are, and either:

* get rid of low performing keywords altogether, or

* create new (and very carefully targeted) ad groups for them - to give them their best chance of performing better.

When I say a 'very carefully targeted ad group' I mean a short list of keywords which are all about the same thing and a well written ad which is also about that exact same thing.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007   #3
poenbek

poenbek is on a distinguished road

That does make sense. That way I get to keep the track record of the performers right where they are. Thanks for that.
poenbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #4
CarrieHill
Oversees: Small Business Marketing Online

CarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the rough

I always maintain a "best performer's" campaign, a "high cost" campaign and a "long tail" campaign. This lets me control spending where it counts - my best performers campaign gets the most money - that's what converts the best.

My "high cost" campaign is usually about the "CEO list" - the terms the client thinks they need to show for and cost a fortune, I can control my spending better that way - along with exposure - only turn those on when the CEO is in the office and track them separately - then you will evenutally have the ammunition to say "I told you so."

Long tail terms in their own campaign let me test, move things around, write seasonal ads, etc and not effect any of my other high-performers.

I never run 1 campaign, 1 adgroup. Never more than 30 words in an adgroup - at least 2 text ads, 1 local business ad (if applicable terms are in that group) and a mobile ad.

Hope this helps!
~Carrie
CarrieHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007   #5
Rockstar82

Rockstar82 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrieHill View Post
I always maintain a "best performer's" campaign, a "high cost" campaign and a "long tail" campaign. This lets me control spending where it counts - my best performers campaign gets the most money - that's what converts the best.

My "high cost" campaign is usually about the "CEO list" - the terms the client thinks they need to show for and cost a fortune, I can control my spending better that way - along with exposure - only turn those on when the CEO is in the office and track them separately - then you will evenutally have the ammunition to say "I told you so."

Long tail terms in their own campaign let me test, move things around, write seasonal ads, etc and not effect any of my other high-performers.

I never run 1 campaign, 1 adgroup. Never more than 30 words in an adgroup - at least 2 text ads, 1 local business ad (if applicable terms are in that group) and a mobile ad.

Hope this helps!
~Carrie
I do practically the same. AWA, can you give some arguments why this wouldn't be a good strategy?
Rockstar82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #6
Shmuel
PPC Manager

Shmuel is on a distinguished road

I would think that it would be easier to manage if everything was, more or less together. For us, I have a campaign for countries, a campaign for branded ads, a campaign for products, etc. In each campaign I then use the adgroups for subdivision. It makes seeing the big picture a little easier. You can also easily identify which adgroups are under performing, and thus which keywords and/or creatives are as all.

As far as keywords go...when making a new adgroup, I usually have somewhere between 50-100 keywords. Once I have the data on which keywords work and don't (usually about two weeks worth) then I trim it down. Unfortunately, for my niche neither the traffic estimator nor Google Trends has enough 'traffic' to give me a good idea which keywords will or won't work.
Shmuel is offline   Reply With Quote