Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2007   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Are Google reports still effective?

There are SO many ways to look at your campaign data.
Internal analytics, Google's analytics, perhaps Yahoo's and MSN‘s too? heck run the gamut and toss in your 3rd party analytics and adwords reports as well. Bottom line: with so many reporting tools we advertisers are often looking at the same data in 5 different places and it’s a time sink. Is it time to kick out the clutter?

I'm a sucker for numbers and have been using pretty much all of these analytics tools - overkill! But what interests me lately is that I am seeing that the Google reports are becoming less and less effective due to their line iteming of data. For example:

The search query report:
When I first ran the reports in early June, they were great. However, more and more my data looks like this.

123 Other unique queries.
69 Other unique queries.
As a matter of fact the "other unique queries" line item represents nearly 70% of the reported traffic. The report is no longer effective.

The same is true with the Ad Placement report
In the beta test every single site that gave an impression and or click was listed in the report. A ton of data for sure, but an AWESOME and effective tool to weed out the bad and promote the good. Now we have "other", "Domain Ad" and "Error" line items. Once again, these summary line items which provide no information you can act upon, have slowly increased to represent almost 40% of the reported clicks/traffic.

Have your reports become less effective?

Why is Google resorting to line items and withholding so much data from their reports?

Why would I run Google reports when I can use Google analytics to see the same data?

Why would I run Keyword reports when I can quickly sort campaigns by keyword to see which are most effective and make the changes right there on the spot?

Outside of excluding sites who have already reamed me, why should I run ad placement reports when there is no way to submit click fraud sites directly back to Google for a refund without having to get congressional approval for a fraud investigation?

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Re: Are Google reports still effective?

Have noticed most tools seem to become less useful once bought by a search engine
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #3
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

The line item stuff is frustrating, to be sure. As much as 70-80% of our traffic gets lumped into these useless categories.

That said, I still find Google's reports useful beyond what I get from analytics. I suppose it depends on which analytics package you use, but I find I can more easily run granular/detailed reports within Adwords than I can from analytics. However, this is time-consuming, as you mention.

Bottom line, it's a juggling act - trying to weed out bad performers yet setting some kind of minimum traffic levels before doing so. It's what keeps us employed, I guess!

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

hey if you could turn it on and let it go we would all be out of work.

Look at the Commission Junction article I wrote yesterday... they are offering search marketing services... and they offer what to sell.... as close to do it themselves as there gets
Old 08-06-2007   #5
Waldo

Waldo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
123 Other unique queries.
69 Other unique queries.
As a matter of fact the "other unique queries" line item represents nearly 70% of the reported traffic. The report is no longer effective.
Isn't this what it references when the clicks come from the content network?
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of

Yes perhaps Waldo, and I realize many do not advertise in content, but we generate a large % of our traffic there.

I also know the data is there for Google to display, but they choose not to. We pull this data from other reports, but its a pain going to multiple places to pull together a summary report.

Discovery
Old 08-07-2007   #7
Waldo

Waldo is on a distinguished road

How could you pull what keyword is being triggered in the content network?
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #8
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo View Post
How could you pull what keyword is being triggered in the content network?
You can't, because content ads aren't shown by a triggering search query - they're shown based on matching page content to your ad/keywords.

And the "542 other unique queries" isn't content clicks. It's other search queries that weren't frequent enough to be statistically significant. From Adwords Help:

Quote:
Does the Search Query Performance report show every single query?

No. A report that included every query that triggered your ads to show is likely to be unmanageable in size and difficult to process. To solve this problem, we've aggregated statistics for all outliers (i.e. queries that don't meet our privacy and volume requirements) in the 'other unique queries' row.
found here: http://adwords.google.com/support/bi...ype=f&onClick=

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007   #9
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

So tell me how you want to classify this:

http://financialplan.about.com/sites...de=4466&type=1

If I navigate to bankruptcy articles I find specific ads (http://financialplan.about.com/b/a/257604.htm). When I search for bankruptcy in their search box I find the same article and ads.

Is about.com search or content, both? When is it one and when is it the other? Does it toggle or does G throw a search blanket over the whole site?

From URL strings like the one above obviously one can extract search term data. In our view About is content.

Discovery
Old 08-08-2007   #10
SEMantics

SEMantics is on a distinguished road

An email from a Google rep:

The 'Error page ads' and 'Domain ads' rows show aggregate performance statistics for sites in Google's AdSense for errors or AdSense for domains programs, respectively.

I've included information below on AdSense for errors and domains (which actually do tend to convert highly), but if you'd like to opt out, I can take care of that for you. Just let me know which campaigns and I'll make the change on our end.

AdSense for Domains:

Our AdSense for domains program places targeted AdWords ads on parked domain sites that are part of the Google Network. Users are brought to parked domain sites when they enter a search query or unregistered URL in a browser's address bar rather than in a search engine such as Google. Previously, parked domain sites were blank pages, which meant that users arriving at one of these sites had to renew their search query.

Now, parked domain sites offer ads that can be relevant to a user's search query. Some parked domain sites also include a search box, which allows users to further refine their search.

Depending on the design of the site, a parked domain site will be
classified as either a search site or a content site. That means your ads may show on parked domain sites if your campaign is opted in to the search or content networks.

AdSense for Errors:

Our AdSense for errors program serves users with targeted AdWords ads when they enter a search query in their browser's address bar instead of querying it through a search engine like Google. Previously, these searches would result in error pages (i.e. a "404 error" page), which would leave the user with no other option but to renew the search query.

Now, these pages offer ads (some pages also include actual search results) that can be relevant information for the user.

AdSense for errors uses Google's semantic technology to thoroughly interpret search queries before delivering targeted, contextually relevant ads to users. The pages that display your ads through AdSense for errors belong to our content network. Only advertisers opted into Google's content network may have their ads shown on these pages.
SEMantics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007   #11
AussieWebmaster

AdSense for Errors.... got to love it... Do you misspell the ads too?