Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2007   #1
atlanta404
SEO for process engineering instrumentation

atlanta404 is on a distinguished road
Wrapping text in Description Lines 1 & 2...

Hello everyone. Thanks for checking out my post.

What have your experiences been with click-thru rates and wrapping one statement from Description Line #1 into Description Line #2? Or do you try to maintain two separate statements in the two distinct Descriptions?

For example:

Fuzzy Cat Toys
Shop here for cat toys
that your cat will love.
www.cats.com

Fuzzy Cat Toys
Shop here for cat toys.
Your cat will love you.
www.cats.com

Thanks!
atlanta404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #2
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Re: Wrapping text in Description Lines 1 & 2...

I write ads both ways. Only way for you to know is to test.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #3
atlanta404

With the traffic that my site sees, testing would take months & months (if not years).

I'm just trying to get an idea of how YOUR tests have performed and what the best practices are!
Old 07-26-2007   #4
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough

Well I have no data one way or the other, only that some ads with wrapped description text perform better than seperate line ads and some don't. The overall quality of the ad is what matters most. If I were you I would write at least a few ads per ad group - some with wrapped descriptions and some without.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #5
Shmuel
PPC Manager

Shmuel is on a distinguished road

From my experience, only my branded ads work well with wrapped text. Most of our other ads (well, searchers) seem to prefer the seperation.
Shmuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta404 View Post
With the traffic that my site sees, testing would take months & months (if not years).

I'm just trying to get an idea of how YOUR tests have performed and what the best practices are!
You need to test. Testing involves your impression and click volume on adwords. Are you saying that all your keywords have incredibly low search frequency on google?
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #7
atlanta404

Thanks for all of your replies!

Some of my keywords have high search volume, and others don't. Obviously it will be easier to test these two concepts for Ad Groups that see higher search volume.

I guess I'm just looking for a "rule of thumb" when writing the ad for a new Ad Group?

Thanks again for your help!
Old 07-26-2007   #8
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanta404 View Post
I guess I'm just looking for a "rule of thumb" when writing the ad for a new Ad Group?....
There are few rules of thumb, because so much depends on your situation... your industry, your ad copy, your keywords, your landing pages etc.... testing is the way to go. Get the budget, then test. If you don't have the budget, don't do adwords.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007   #9
SearchEnginePPC
PPC Consultant

SearchEnginePPC has a spectacular aura aboutSearchEnginePPC has a spectacular aura aboutSearchEnginePPC has a spectacular aura about

The only time I've used wrapped lines in my description is when I know there is a good chance our ads will appear in one of the top center featured areas that will show the two lines together. Otherwise, my rule of thumb is to default to two distinct lines of text.
SearchEnginePPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007   #10
atlanta404

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearchEnginePPC View Post
The only time I've used wrapped lines in my description is when I know there is a good chance our ads will appear in one of the top center featured areas that will show the two lines together. Otherwise, my rule of thumb is to default to two distinct lines of text.
This is exactly the type of suggestion I was looking for - thanks for your help! I'll pay attention to where my ad will appear when writing my ad copy to determine if I should use one or two lines of copy. Thanks! :-)
Old 07-27-2007   #11
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Exactly... if in top section then they don't wrap... on the right they will be impacted by position as well as style... we have seen clean sentences work better... but it could be the wording etc forced by the individual line copy.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote