Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2007   #1
lifediva

lifediva is on a distinguished road
Is it worth reporting Spam sites to Google

When we send out press releases via PRweb, we get some decent exposure, but the vast majority of the sites that pick up the release (usually without actually linking to us, thank heavens) are spam, MFA sites. I get google alerts for the press release, and I can't believe that Google actually bothers to index these sites on a regular basis (many of them were indexed within 48 hours of my press release).

I've also gotten really good insight into the types of sites displaying Google content ads in our particular niche (off-topic, I know) and why ROI in the content market is a challenge.

Question is, is it worth reporting these ridiculous spam sites to google? What's the best way to do this.

Last edited by lifediva : 07-20-2007 at 10:24 AM.
lifediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #2
phpmaven
And now for something completely different...

phpmaven will become famous soon enough
Re: Is it worth reporting Spam sites to Google

Google has made it clear on several occasions that they use these reports to improve the overall quality of their index, not to go after specific websites with a view to punishing them. The chances of them doing a hand job on a site reported in this way seem remote, although I suppose it does happen.

You would be much better served spending time working on improving the ranking of your own site as opposed to worrying about spam (Sites Positioned Above Mine).
phpmaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #3
lifediva

lifediva is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I was just curious if Google bothered with blatant sites done using text generators just to make a buck (course, Google's making a buck, too). I guess there are so many, they wouldn't have time to follow up.

I hadn't seen that definition of SPAM before - Sites Positioned Above Mine - gave me a laugh
lifediva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #4
bestimtools
Best_IM_Tools

bestimtools is on a distinguished road

Just in case you have much free time or someone p*ssed you off greatly.
bestimtools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #5
JPRuss
JPRuss

JPRuss is on a distinguished road

If I were an advertiser on the MFA site, and I was paying a lot of $ for low quality clicks and I would likely report it, or remove myself from advertising on that site.

But if I waw just writing a press release to get exposure. I would probably not report it, they say any publicity is good publicity.
JPRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #6
natasha499

natasha499 is on a distinguished road

I am thinking of using press releases more... It is an easy way to get articles written about your website in addition usually the article will include a link to your site.
natasha499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007   #7
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: Is it worth reporting Spam sites to Google

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifediva View Post
When we send out press releases via PRweb, we get some decent exposure, but the vast majority of the sites that pick up the release (usually without actually linking to us, thank heavens) are spam, MFA sites. I get google alerts for the press release, and I can't believe that Google actually bothers to index these sites on a regular basis (many of them were indexed within 48 hours of my press release).

I've also gotten really good insight into the types of sites displaying Google content ads in our particular niche (off-topic, I know) and why ROI in the content market is a challenge.

Question is, is it worth reporting these ridiculous spam sites to google? What's the best way to do this.
Yes! One tip, report spam via Google Webmaster Tools while you are logged in to your account.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote