Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > Forum Policies & Operations
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2007   #1
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Arrow SearchEngineWatch about to become a butterfly...

SearchEngineWatch has always been the number one resource for Search Engine Marketing information, although perhaps seen as the ugly duckling in the industry.

Well, the SEW guys will kill me for announcing this first - but we're about to receive a facelift. We've heard the cries of usability issues and cluttered pages on the site, and are addressing this with a new, improved and user tested look to your favourite SEM destination.

I sneaked into the Incisive HQ today and gained an exclusive preview of the new homepage, let me tell you - it's superb. Us forum goers won't be left out in the rain either, with a fully integrated design and forum software upgrade.

To celebrate this milestone, I'll soon be introducing an exciting new array of features on the forums, including status rankings for long-serving members and some awesome prizes to the most helpful and sociable members.

Although a closely guarded secret, I'd estimate the new look going live as soon as next Monday. I can't guarantee that we'll be 100% bug free at launch, although feel free to PM me with any bugs that you find.

Rob Kerry (evilgreenmonkey)
SEW Forums Editor
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #2
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
How can the SEW guys kill the nicest bloke in SEO?

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what's new - thanks for whetting the appetite, Rob.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
I can't wait to see what you guys have up your sleeve!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
I (heart) EvilGreenMonkey! Great news! Can't wait to see it.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #5
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Nice way to smooze a new status ranking 66!

You're not Evil enough for EvilGreenMonkey

Well it's true! You're semi-evil. You're quasi-evil. You're the margarine of evil. You're the Diet Coke of evil. Just one calorie, not evil enough!
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007   #6
sportsguy
Just another in-house SEM guy...

sportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the roughsportsguy is a jewel in the rough
Best of luck with the change-over guys and gals. Hope everything goes nice and smooth.

I'll be refreshing like crazy hoping to catch the change-over...

Ah, the e-glee I'll experience will be worth it.

Duane
sportsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007   #7
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
I hope the forum doesn't change much. I like this format a lot - easy navigation, organized, great display of the threads, etc. I find more fancy forums to be less efficient and more prone to spam. I really don't need to see anyone's avatar or care about their signature links that lead to their site(s). This forum is great because it has the most knowledgeable moderators and participants and the majority of contributors here that are driving most of the threads are experts in SEM/SEO. Compare that with the forums over at Digital Point - sure, they might have more traffic over there, but the discussions seem to be driven mostly by affiliates, borderline spammers and black hatters, MFAs, garbitragers, SEM beginners, etc. Even the format at Webmaster World leaves alot to be desired... you would think with all the "webmasters" there, they would be able to design a cleaner format than that.

Keep the forums simple and efficient I say.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #8
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Re: SearchEngineWatch about to become a butterfly...

Well, what does everybody think?
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #9
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of

I like the new software, quick replies rock.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #10
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of

I really like it

Please bare in mind that the forum is still undergoing changes. The forum software hadn't been updated for years, so the upgrade wasn't too smooth. I'm fixing some permissions at the moment and the Featured Threads section on the homepage should re-appear soon. I'm also hopefully going to introduce Avatars and member rankings this week, followed by a few new forum changes. If you were expecting something that isn't currently live on the forums, let me know and I'll see if we can add it.
Old 07-23-2007   #11
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough

It looks much better now than the format I was seeing earlier this morning.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #12
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold

The site as a whole definitely looks a lot better and has a much cleaner interface. Although it did detract from the user interface, I will miss having a link in the blogroll that used to exists in the left navigational table on the SEW Blog but is absent from new site.

Any chance on the blog roll that used to exists at blogs.searchenginewatch.com being listed on its own page/section?
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #13
sam890
SEO Joker

sam890 is on a distinguished road

I like the look a lot better but I think it is harder to navigate I probaly just have to get used to it
sam890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #14
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66 View Post
I (heart) EvilGreenMonkey! Great news! Can't wait to see it.

Melissa
lol.... suck up
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007   #15
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
The site as a whole definitely looks a lot better and has a much cleaner interface. Although it did detract from the user interface, I will miss having a link in the blogroll that used to exists in the left navigational table on the SEW Blog but is absent from new site.

Any chance on the blog roll that used to exists at blogs.searchenginewatch.com being listed on its own page/section?
nice catch Dave I was on there too...
Old 07-23-2007   #16
evilgreenmonkey

I wasn't in the blogroll, so it was taken down.

Thanks for the ego boost Mel, I was starting to think that DaveN was getting all the SEO love.

His excellence,

evilgreenmonkey
Old 07-23-2007   #17
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgreenmonkey View Post
I wasn't in the blogroll, so it was taken down.

Thanks for the ego boost Mel, I was starting to think that DaveN was getting all the SEO love.

His excellence,

evilgreenmonkey
dropped blogroll = dropped vote
Old 07-23-2007   #18
evilgreenmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster View Post
dropped blogroll = dropped vote
I'll look into it, although I'm guessing that it was a PITA to look after with the hundreds of search blogs all wanting to be listed. Plus, how many people actually used the blogroll to find new SEM sites?
Old 07-23-2007   #19
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilgreenmonkey View Post
I'll look into it, although I'm guessing that it was a PITA to look after with the hundreds of search blogs all wanting to be listed. Plus, how many people actually used the blogroll to find new SEM sites?
It was the link juice from such an authority site that I will miss. It is probably one of the crucial factors that has me ranking # 4 for "David Wallace," a very common name with some pretty famous competition. Nevertheless, I have to admit that all the links in the old blogroll did look cumbersome. That's why it would be nice to have a separate page with them listed, kind of like Andy Beal does at Marketing Pilgrim - (http://www.marketingpilgrim.com/blogroll/).
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #20
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute

Lovely looking, but I can't see threads on the list once I've posted in them and like to follow up, which will be nigh impossible to do

http://forums.searchenginewatch.com/...archid=1053964

They disappear once they've been read once, unless there's been a new reply. And sometimes if there hasn't been a new reply, there needs to be one.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote