Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2007   #1
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Naming Images

Does the name of the image(s) on your page have much of an SEO affect on Web sites? I don't mean images that act as links to other pages, but just in general does the name of standard images on a page have much of an affect on the SEO of the page?
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #2
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I've tested it and an image named with a keyword in it is enough to get a page that otherwise has no other mention of the keyword to show up for a search, so the answer is "yes".

I doubt if it makes much of a difference, but it does appear to at least include the page for an initial relevance check.

Ian
Old 07-17-2007   #3
ublogtoo
user

ublogtoo is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
I've tested it and an image named with a keyword in it is enough to get a page that otherwise has no other mention of the keyword to show up for a search, so the answer is "yes".

I doubt if it makes much of a difference, but it does appear to at least include the page for an initial relevance check.

Ian
yeeessssssss
ublogtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #4
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Thank you.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #5
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Also, perhaps worth pointing out that many times "named" images rank higher in "image search". This is an important fact to consider with the advent of Google Universal Search.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007   #6
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
One way I use this (it's why I did the test in the first place) is for misspellings. If I can't misspell the word on the page, then I put in in the meta keywords (for Yahoo and MSN) and then name the images with the appropriate misspellings (for Google, Yahoo, and MSN).

It won't help much with anything competitive, but can be useful for long tail terms and misspellings.

Ian
Old 07-19-2007   #7
ExposureTim
TimDineen

ExposureTim will become famous soon enough
I agree, YES.

But it's just one of the many factors that'll help your rank improve.

It's really one of those things that if you don't do it right, and your competitor does, they may get one extra notch on their belt and end up outranking you.
ExposureTim is offline   Reply With Quote