Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2007   #1
xApple

xApple is on a distinguished road
Exact String Search impossible ?

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if it just me or is google really missing this function ? Which would be quite odd considering it's the largest search engine on our planet..

I wanted to perform a search for a simple string containing a slash "/" character. The exact search was for A/ROSE
The problem is that Google kicks out the slash character and performs a search for "A ROSE" which is not at all the the same thing.

I tried surrounding it with quotes, a +, I even tried "A\/ROSE", but nothing works. I then tested 6 other popular search engines: they all had the same behavior.

The closest I got to solving my problem was when I hit http://www.google.com/codesearch where one can enter REGEX expressions. Unfortunately it only searches c code.

I finally came across http://www.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=430 which actually tells us that's not possible to perform such a search o_O ?!

How did they get where they are while actually having such features missing in their search engine ?

Is there any other engine that could run my search ?
xApple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #2
xApple

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu
No.. besides it still returns results for "A ROSE" and not "A/ROSE"
Old 07-09-2007   #3
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by xApple
No.. besides it still returns results for "A ROSE" and not "A/ROSE"
Got ya, I've not searched something like this before.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #4
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
I assume this is a math problem?
Old 07-16-2007   #5
xApple

No.. It's just the name of a extension for Mac OS 7.5 that seams to be causing problems in my emulation boot stage. I wanted to gather some info about it.. but apparently google search is quite limited.
Old 07-16-2007   #6
beu

Ahhh ha, the problem is the / and the fact it is in so many URLs.

Does "a/" mean "a drive"?

either way try your search here but try to avoid using the / symbol:
http://www.google.com/mac.html
Old 07-21-2007   #7
xApple

No, the fact that "/" is the separator character for URLs has no relevance in my problem. The issue is simply that google refuses to perform a search with that character in it. It simply removes it every single time from my search query. Using the mac specific page doesn't help either. The word "rose" is still much too common.
Old 07-21-2007   #8
beu

Quote:
No, the fact that "/" is the separator character for URLs has no relevance in my problem.
Maybe not on your end but perhaps on Google's end.

Either way, I submitted this to see if it is a bug.
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/bugs/
Old 07-21-2007   #9
xApple

Yes it might be Google that chose to eliminate the "/" character form it's search capabilities because of that... but it's not the only character, queries with any of these characters will get modified, deleted and processed differently than the users wishes:

@ ? ! . % & / ( ) -

(non-exhaustive list)

I think it's crazy Google's search only supports letters... how did they get to be #1 with such a crappy engine ?
Old 07-22-2007   #10
beu

Unlike "C++" and "$10" there seems to be no workaround in this case. Sorry!

Last edited by beu : 07-22-2007 at 01:13 AM.