Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007   #1
GeneralLeeArgent

GeneralLeeArgent is on a distinguished road
Value of Links Pointed to a 302 Redirect

I wanted to get some objective opinions on the following situation as the folks I've talked to have mixed opinions:

I am currently working with a customer that has a great site and great business. However, when trying to figure out why they're not performing well in organic, I discovered that their main domain 302s to a deeper, internal page. So when they do come up in SERPs, www.domain.com displays as the URL, but then you are redirected to www.domain.com/internal/internal.html.

I asked why this was the way it was. There was no good answer. I don't think the current guy knows All he knows is it's been that way for a long, long time...

Here are some more statistics:

Yahoo site explorer shows the number of backlinks to www.domain.com (minus internal links) to be almost 10x that of www.domain.com/internal/internal.html

My questions challenged to the wise and willing are as follows:

*Given that there is no page at www.domain.com, are the outside links pointing to it providing any value to the site's link popularity?

*What impact should I expect if he figures out how to get his host to change his 302 to a 301?

*If the answer to question one is that the links pass zero value to the domain because they get blocked by the 302, and if the answer to question two is that the links that once didn't count will now count, is there any possible risk of shocking the system with so many links?

Awesome thanks to any responders - these are tricky waters to navigate for a newb like yours truly
GeneralLeeArgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #2
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
It sounds like in this case a 301 should be used:
http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=40151
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007   #3
Jazajay

Jazajay has disabled reputation
Re: Value of Links Pointed to a 302 Redirect

Hi
Yeah you are right 302 doesn't pass link equity where as 301 does you should be able to change this via the htaccess file yourself thus cutting out the need for contacting the host. For inital shock to the system the links will lose equity for a while till the
SE relise they are being re-directed and then pass on the correct link equity to the new domain. He should get quite a boost once the link equity is consolidated aslong as his backlinks are relevant etc...
Hope this helps
Jazajay is offline   Reply With Quote