Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How Long Will SEMPO Survive?
SEMPO Will Survive More Than 3 Years 9 27.27%
SEMPO Will Close within 90 days 3 9.09%
SEMPO Will Close within a Year 13 39.39%
SEMPO Will Close within 3 Years 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2004   #1
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Will SEMPO Survive?

So you think they will be closing the doors soon? Makes for a nice poll in a new thread.

(1) SEMPO Will Survive Forever
(2) SEMPO Will Close within 90 days
(3) SEMPO Will Close within a Year
(4) SEMPO Will Close within 3 Years

Poll at the top.

Oh, put personal feelings aside. Doesn't matter what you think of SEMPO, I just want to know what you think will happen to it in the future.

Last edited by rustybrick : 09-27-2004 at 01:38 PM. Reason: typo
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
I voted for 90days becuase it's what i think they should do. But i would have rather seen a poll titled "should sempo close"...

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Nick, its not about what they should do, I wanted to know what you feel they will do.

Feel free to start a different poll, this one is mine.
Old 09-27-2004   #4
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Nah.... i dont want to start another poll, quite frankly, i cant be bothered ;-) There's enough threads on dumpo to accomadate all views methinks heh..

Nick
Old 09-27-2004   #5
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
Based on this: "Staggered replacement/election for BOD in 2005" I voted on 1 year.
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #6
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I said a year...think it will last more than 90 days (especially as christmas seo stuff gives many people other things to think about) I am thinking springish
Old 09-27-2004   #7
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Since they have some cash in the bank I think it will take more >> than a year.
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #8
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
That is all going to go to their "High Profile" lawyers and/or to back taxes & tax penalties. Just my little humble opinion.
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #9
mugshot

mugshot is on a distinguished road
SEMPO in 90 days!

I chose 90 days, but again it is really relative. Does surviving mean that sempo will continue to offer it's website as a resource, retain it's current members, find new members, heck even renaming the organization?

The way I view sempo, in my opinion, they will not survive 90 days if their image doesn't change. Perhaps they can pick up the pieces and move on, and like Aaron said, 1 year might be the limit to sempo given their current lack of efforts.

By the way, the forum that they are going to launch sounds like something of an afterthought. You would think that the forum was one of the first thing such an organization would have....to encourage communication!
mugshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #10
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethabernathy
That is all going to go to their "High Profile" lawyers.
Makes cents to me........
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #11
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
I voted three years because nothing can last "forever". With that said, I think they "can" survive but certainly not with its current leader at the helm.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004   #12
Brad
A Usual Suspect

Brad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the roughBrad is a jewel in the rough
It may never "officially" close. Or at least no announcement will ever be made, the website will just cease being updated, nobody will answer any emails and stuff will just stop working.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #13
Anthony Parsons
Rubbing the shine of the knobs who think they're better than everyone else...

Anthony Parsons will become famous soon enough
I gave it a year....had to allow old Barb time to draw the account down with her stipend and all.
Anthony Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #14
Nick W

EEEEOW! Anthony......

That's so bitchy, you a girl? only kidding mate
Rumour has it that they are waiting for the chatter to die down then biz as usual. (which means doing sweet FA as far as i can see...)

Nick
Old 09-28-2004   #15
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
(which means doing sweet FA as far as i can see...)
what is sweet FA?
Old 09-28-2004   #16
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
The poll doesn't talk about specifics (board, goals, etc.) it just requests a life term, therefore in general I think SEMPO is something needed in our industry and it will survive forever. It just needs a lot of work to be what everyone wants from it.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #17
Nick W

>>what is sweet FA

FA -> Rymes with "cluck call"

Nick
Old 09-28-2004   #18
seobook
I'm blogging this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick W
FA -> Rymes with "cluck call"
and hence Charlie the Rubber Chicken...
Old 09-28-2004   #19
rustybrick

It is not safe to make jokes about sempo in this room, there is no padding on the walls here. So be careful, and do not play with sharp objects here.

On a serious note, I started this poll to get an idea of what people in this forum think in regards to if SEMPO will actually succeed. Ultimately, that decision is in the hands of the decision makers at SEMPO. But I just wanted to see what y'all (i am not from texas) think.

Last edited by rustybrick : 09-28-2004 at 09:51 AM. Reason: added laughing smiley to enhance my message :)
Old 10-05-2004   #20
glenn
Provocateur

glenn is on a distinguished road
Foreign Devotion

As mentioned earlier, SEMPO has the cash to survive and I'm guessing the $$$s aren't drying up anytime soon; however, there is a lot of industry consolidation going on and the landscape three years from now for search engine marketing altogether could be quite different. I voted for 3 years and could see SEMPO being a chapter of a larger organization in that timeframe.
glenn is offline   Reply With Quote