Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2007   #1
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
What to do now?

I manage paid search campaigns for the company I work for and am in the process of taking over the task of SEO, which we have for the most part ignored in the past. We do all of our business over the Web, mostly through paid search but also through other online advertising and partnerships. We make and sell our own products plus partner with and re-sell the most popular brands in our industry as well.

Our web site is a commercial site about 7-8 years old, has a page rank of 5 and we get about 7K visitors a month through organic search (though we have very few inbound links and virtually no listings in directories). I think I understand (or at least have a plan as to) what to do regarding optimizing our pages and site naviagtion/structure. After that the goal will be to increase quality inbound links. We have partnerships with some very significant companies that rank exceptionally well for terms related to our site and I anticipate that getting links from some or most of these partners will not be difficult. Also, I will be submitting to the top tier directories as well as a few niche ones - for a total of about 10-12.

My question is... what should I do to get more quality inbound links? As I mentioned above, we are a commercial site and we don't have a ton of non-sales/product related content as of right now. Eventually, we might add more informative articles, maybe a blog or something, but right now that doesn't really makes sense for our site or our company.

Should I be looking into reciprocal links or buying links? How do I even start to do this - link building software, link building services? Or maybe something else that I am missing? I have been reading resources for this (including Nacho's post above) and I still feel clueless as to what I should do.

Thanks,
Chris
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007   #2
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
all good questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC
I manage paid search campaigns for the company I work for and am in the process of taking over the task of SEO, which we have for the most part ignored in the past. We do all of our business over the Web, mostly through paid search but also through other online advertising and partnerships. We make and sell our own products plus partner with and re-sell the most popular brands in our industry as well.

Our web site is a commercial site about 7-8 years old, has a page rank of 5 and we get about 7K visitors a month through organic search (though we have very few inbound links and virtually no listings in directories). I think I understand (or at least have a plan as to) what to do regarding optimizing our pages and site naviagtion/structure. After that the goal will be to increase quality inbound links. We have partnerships with some very significant companies that rank exceptionally well for terms related to our site and I anticipate that getting links from some or most of these partners will not be difficult. Also, I will be submitting to the top tier directories as well as a few niche ones - for a total of about 10-12.

My question is... what should I do to get more quality inbound links? As I mentioned above, we are a commercial site and we don't have a ton of non-sales/product related content as of right now. Eventually, we might add more informative articles, maybe a blog or something, but right now that doesn't really makes sense for our site or our company.

Should I be looking into reciprocal links or buying links? How do I even start to do this - link building software, link building services? Or maybe something else that I am missing? I have been reading resources for this (including Nacho's post above) and I still feel clueless as to what I should do.

Thanks,
Chris
1. Stay away from recipical links Chris.

2. You sound link you are on the right track, if you submit to some quality directories paid & free, you should jump in PR pretty fast IMO. You don't need high numbers just high quality.

3. Blog won't hurt, but it can be difficult to manage and time consuming.

4. I would look into a public relations service and see if you can get some quality inbound links from reputable web sources.

5. You could always purchase a few links, however, I would certainly limit the numbers and make sure you are buying quality links that are placed on quality web sources, and make sure they are using your niche keywords within the inbound links (pointing keywords).

6. Ask for links from the BBB, public universities, libraries, charities, etc, they really count.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #3
PPC

Thanks for the reply, Phillip.

1. So you don't think we should look into reciprocal linking at all? Not even if it was only with high quality relevant sites? (Note that I have no idea how we would do this)

4. I don't think we are going to hire a PR firm, but my boss does some of that himself and we do issue some press releases and have news articles published about our products.

5. How would I go about buying links? Where is the best place to start looking for quality sites that would do this?
Old 06-28-2007   #4
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC
Thanks for the reply, Phillip.

1. So you don't think we should look into reciprocal linking at all? Not even if it was only with high quality relevant sites? (Note that I have no idea how we would do this)

4. I don't think we are going to hire a PR firm, but my boss does some of that himself and we do issue some press releases and have news articles published about our products.

5. How would I go about buying links? Where is the best place to start looking for quality sites that would do this?
Chris,

1. You can use reciprocal links when it is practical, being that you reciprocate the links for traffic purposes not PR purposes. Reciprocal links will not help in higher PR, the algo will pick up on that, and not reward you with PR. But, reciprocal links will bring you traffic, and sometimes high quality traffic, depending upon the source.

4. Hey if your boss if doing his own PR, that is fantastic, 1 rule of thumb is to make sure that he insist that any web write up have these 2 things (1) a link to your site (2) anchor link with keywords, if at all possible.

5. By no means am I prompting this company, but Alliance links as come up a few times in my research, it's worth researching more. There are some more references below. check em’ out.

Art & Science of Link Building
Alliance Link
How much per link .
Guide to link buying
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #5
PPC

Thanks Again!
Old 07-03-2007   #6
skysoldier

skysoldier is on a distinguished road
Have you tried Social Bookmarking? it may help you! Using it you may find sites that you can do reciprocal links!
skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote