Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2007   #1
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
Guiding the Future of Search Engine Strategies

As you know, the Search Engine Strategies conferences are in a period of transition. We've got big shoes to fill with the departure of Danny Sullivan and Chris Sherman, and plan to continue to improve and grow the conferences. We've brought in Kevin Ryan as VP and global content director for Search Engine Strategies and Search Engine Watch. He's not here to be the "new Danny," by any means, and today's news should emphasize that point.

As Kevin told Rand Fishkin this week at SES Toronto, Incisive Media is creating an advisory board for Search Engine Strategies to help guide the direction of the conferences going forward. This board will consist of about a dozen individuals involved in the search industry, which will help our programming and operations teams plan future events.

We're also very interested in getting feedback from you, the readers of Search Engine Watch and members of the SEW Forums. We know that many of you have already shared your thoughts about the future of the site and forums, and we certainly appreciate those ideas and will take them into consideration as we make changes.

Now, we'd like to hear your ideas and suggestions for changes you'd like to see in the Search Engine Strategies conferences. We'd like to hear big ideas about the overall direction as well as small ideas about things we can fix. And yes, we know the food was great at SMX, and will look at our options as we plan future shows.
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Newcomb
And yes, we know the food was great at SMX, and will look at our options as we plan future shows.
LOL, that's definitely one.

One of the great things about SMX, in addition to it being geared towards advanced SEMs, was its small size attendee-wise. While there are many good things about a bigger conference (a great expo floor, for one), one of the things that's hard to do at SES is break into the "groups," so to speak. It's hard to chat with speakers, because they're mobbed after every session, at lunch, in the bar, etc. Matt Cutts practically needs bodyguards at a show like SES. At SMX, he walked the halls with nary a Cuttlet following him. Extreme example, but still.

I like the Birds Of A Feather seating at lunch at SES. That's a great way to meet like-minded people, and they didn't have it at SMX. That said, there has been more than one time at SES where I wanted to sit at a particular table, only to find it crammed with people to the point that I couldn't even squeeze in an extra chair.

And then there's the party situation. At SMX, most of the parties were for all attendees and were actually part of the agenda. At SES Chicago '06, I didn't get invited to a single party - and it wasn't for lack of asking around. Everything was invite-only and exclusive. Parties are great for networking, but useless if you're not invited.

Bottom line, both SES and SMX have great value. I plan to attend each show at least once per year. Can't wait to see what others have to say.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #3
WaterGuy

WaterGuy is on a distinguished road
Bring back the printed presentations and hold speakers accountable for providing something for the book, even if it's not the final version. I have all my books w/notes dating back to Boston 2002. The notes from NYC just don't provide the same value without the data and charts found in the presentaitons.

- Bill
WaterGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #4
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Maybe a "Universal Search" track would be a good idea! Helping folks understand more about how widgets, maps, xml/rss, images, audio and video aid with SEM/SEO.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #5
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
More on the food topic

Just to elaborate... I actually never minded the box lunches at SES. They're just fine for me. The pretzel on the last day was lame, but other than that, I was satisfied with the boxes. And honestly, I think it would be very difficult to serve a hot buffet lunch to the number of attendees that come to SES.

The breakfast buffet at SMX was great, though. "Continental breakfast" at SES was always so scant that I had to get food elsewhere before coming to the conf hall. At SMX, the "real" breakfast created yet another networking opportunity. And they just left the leftovers out for the a.m. break, which was nice - if you missed breakfast before the show, you could still grab something between sessions. This could work well at SES too.

So, adding a real breakfast, and having a real lunch the last day, would help the SES food situation.

Melissa
Old 07-03-2007   #6
Black_Knight
Ancient SEO

Black_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really nice
Wow! I'm really surprised that there aren't a lot more replies here, like a few hundred more.

Okay, first suggestion is a long held desire for more networking events. The old-timers all know that all the big stuff happens at the bars, especially the hotel bars, because frankly the conference usually doesn't provide anywhere good for just 'hanging with peers'. An all day bar or coffee bar would do a lot to make the real value of SES something SES actually does, raher than the traditional fact of the best parts of SES being the parts outside of the actual event (not great branding there really, eh?).

Second, add a "single session" ticket to the product list. There are people who would happily attend one particular session, but are not going to pay for an entire day when they can only spend a couple of hours there at best.

Third, run a new track that is a half-day panel of top folks discussing a pre-set list of popular topics of the day, and taking questions from the audience to discuss as well. This would be a big hit with the actual SEOs themselves, since this really would be a lot more advanced as professionals discuss issues with professionals. A growing number of companies are building in-house SEO to this level, and the current 'Advanced' track is still too 'vendor' based.

The half-day panels can be split into 'Technical' issues session, discussing coding, dynamic issues, server issues, and more hardcore organic SEO topics, and a broader 'Marketing' session aimed more at PPC but with plenty of meat on landing pages/paths, conversion rates, other traffic sources, etc.

Just my $0.02 of suggestions.
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #7
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
Thanks to you all for your input. There are some great ideas here so far, and Kevin Ryan and his team will definitely be taking them under consideration as they plot the future course of the SES shows.

I like the ideas you guys have for bringing some of the benefits of the smaller shows to the big SES shows. That would seem to be a good way to get the best of both worlds.

I also agree with Ammon that something like the half-day panel he proposes would be useful for advanced SEOs. Another way to offer useful content for both beginner and advanced attendees at the same show.

Please keep the good ideas coming. We really appreciate the input.

Kevin
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #8
Kevin Ryan
VP, Global Content Director, SES

Kevin Ryan is on a distinguished road
Talking The SES "To do" List

Wow!

These are great entries and thanks for taking the time to post. Keep in mind, though we may not always get back to you quickly, we are reading the posts.

On the food subject: I am open to suggestion and, yes, it is easier to feed 100 people as opposed to 1000.

Universal search: More on this later, but oh yes, there will be more on this topic.

Printed presentation books: We have the presentations online and available for download. Many attendees find it easy than lugging around a large book with information they may not need. Now, conference attendees can log in and download exactly what they want.

To the "Black Night:" Spot on mate! A lot of what I am doing here lies in the vein of quality control and gearing up the content for senior managers. The ongoing challenge in finding quality speakers is simply this: "buy side" (clients, as opposed to vendors) speakers usually have less training on public speaking and are generally limited in what they can say whereas "sell side" speakers have far more training and usually have more to offer. Generally, people want to hear more from the "buy side" so balance is the key.

By the way, your ideas came in slightly ahead of $.02 in my opinion.
Kevin Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007   #9
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I'll second Ammons (Black Knights) excellent suggestions, especially regarding the "all-day/half-day" networking bar. Perhaps a room with some simple food and drinks available just set aside for people to meet others at - maybe near the vendors or something. I'm thinking something like the "birds of a feather", but with more time and possibly a better location.

Just so you know, somedays I just want to grab a quick sandwich, but others I'm actually looking for real food. I'd pay a premium for real food, either that day or in advance. Perhaps that could control your costs and help solve some logistic issues - have a standard and premium lunch.

I can't agree more about a better breakfast, though! That should be for everyone.

Perfect SES Day: (for me)

8AM Arrive and have a coffee and maybe some yogurt, fruit or muffins. Stop in at the networking room to see if anyone I know is there already. Maybe leave a quick message on a big white board for an impromptu meeting later.

9AM Listen to Opening speech. If it's too packed or I get bored listening to the Google rep tell us that Google is cool, leave and go check the networking room. Maybe grab a bottle of juice on the way. Better yet, for the perfect day, I'm actually really interested in the opening speech because it's NOT someone from a search engine. Maybe it's not even someone from our industry. Maybe it's a futurist, or a comedian with search related jokes or an inspirational speaker or even just a business guru with some tips on making your business better (which applies to clients and SEO's alike).

10AM Skip the sesssions and go see the vendors while they still have some swag available and are not half asleep. Find one that I think is interesting and get some contact information.

11AM Go to a session on a topic I have no expertise in at all. Actually learn something.

Noon Lunchtime. I got in late last night and missed supper, so I'm still hungry. Pay 5-10 extra for the premium meal instead of the simple sandwich that's included in the normal day pass. I notice several of my friends are in the sandwich area near the Birds of a Feather table - I'll meet up with them later. I meet some interesting people at my own table. Tomorrow, perhaps the premium meal will be free, and paid for by a vendor who gives a spiel about their company during it. I skip it, but it's very popular with other people.

1PM I'm so engrossed in the conversation that we move it to the networking room so the hotel staff can clean up.

2PM There is a brainstorming session. Perhaps it's a site clinic, a debate, or a "purple cow" session, but the key is that it's audience-centric and not speech driven. Power point is banned, and a live internet connection is available. A strong moderator makes sure that no one monopolizes the session. I come away with a couple of good ideas which pay for the whole SES.

3PM I could stop now, but I decide to go to a session so I can meet up with one of the speakers at it. The session is good, and the speaker says they will be in the networking room for the next half hour, which clears the room for the next session. They get mobbed there and I can't get a chance to talk to them, but that was going to happen anyway and at least I had an opportunity, so I'm not upset.

4PM Stay in the networking room to see if I can find someone to go to dinner with. Notice that the whiteboard says that some of my friends are meeting at a nearby restaurant. I go next door to check my email, and go meet them after hanging around the networking party for a while and using up my drink tickets .

7PM There are a couple of parties being held, one is open to everyone, and a couple are invite only. There are advantages to each. I choose the one that suits my mood and go.

Midnight I stumble into my hotel room, answer a few emails, sort out the busness cards I collected and go to sleep. Tomorrow will be another busy day.

That's my idea of a perfect SES day. It might not be everyones, but hopefully there are a couple of ideas in there.

Ian
Old 07-05-2007   #10
Mel66

Ian, this is GOLD! Super, super ideas here. I think you have pretty much summed up my perfect SES day, with maybe just a couple differences (which are so minor they're not worth elaborating on).

Love the networking room and whiteboard idea. Also love the idea of a vendor-sponsored and/or pay-extra-for premium lunch.

You mentioned having a live internet connection. One thing I will say is that the free wifi at SMX - throughout the conference center - was a big benefit, especially in the Paid track room that had actual desks in it. Over half the people in the sessions in that room were taking notes right on their laptops. Saves time re-typing notes later. Also, I actually logged in to my Adwords, Yahoo, and MSN accounts several times so I could follow along with the presentation/Q&A right in my own account. Others around the room were doing the same. It's a huge hands-on benefit that's not possible without a wifi connection. I also used the wifi in the breakfast/lunch area - I showed up early for breakfast, and it gave me the opportunity to check email and do some work, yet be available to chat with other attendees as they showed up. I liked having the choice between "network" and "do some actual work."

I think you should get a free pass to the next SES for all these great ideas.

Melissa

Last edited by Mel66 : 07-05-2007 at 02:59 PM. Reason: added stuff
Old 07-06-2007   #11
Agency Kingpin

Agency Kingpin is on a distinguished road
Agency

I would like to see more agency related topics. Managing search within large corporations, etc. Also, scheduling the agency track for the last day of the seminar is not ideal.
Agency Kingpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007   #12
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanerin
I'll second Ammons (Black Knights) excellent suggestions, especially regarding the "all-day/half-day" networking bar. Perhaps a room with some simple food and drinks available just set aside for people to meet others at - maybe near the vendors or something. I'm thinking something like the "birds of a feather", but with more time and possibly a better location.

Just so you know, somedays I just want to grab a quick sandwich, but others I'm actually looking for real food. I'd pay a premium for real food, either that day or in advance. Perhaps that could control your costs and help solve some logistic issues - have a standard and premium lunch.

I can't agree more about a better breakfast, though! That should be for everyone.

Perfect SES Day: (for me)

8AM Arrive and have a coffee and maybe some yogurt, fruit or muffins. Stop in at the networking room to see if anyone I know is there already. Maybe leave a quick message on a big white board for an impromptu meeting later.

9AM Listen to Opening speech. If it's too packed or I get bored listening to the Google rep tell us that Google is cool, leave and go check the networking room. Maybe grab a bottle of juice on the way. Better yet, for the perfect day, I'm actually really interested in the opening speech because it's NOT someone from a search engine. Maybe it's not even someone from our industry. Maybe it's a futurist, or a comedian with search related jokes or an inspirational speaker or even just a business guru with some tips on making your business better (which applies to clients and SEO's alike).

10AM Skip the sesssions and go see the vendors while they still have some swag available and are not half asleep. Find one that I think is interesting and get some contact information.

11AM Go to a session on a topic I have no expertise in at all. Actually learn something.

Noon Lunchtime. I got in late last night and missed supper, so I'm still hungry. Pay 5-10 extra for the premium meal instead of the simple sandwich that's included in the normal day pass. I notice several of my friends are in the sandwich area near the Birds of a Feather table - I'll meet up with them later. I meet some interesting people at my own table. Tomorrow, perhaps the premium meal will be free, and paid for by a vendor who gives a spiel about their company during it. I skip it, but it's very popular with other people.

1PM I'm so engrossed in the conversation that we move it to the networking room so the hotel staff can clean up.

2PM There is a brainstorming session. Perhaps it's a site clinic, a debate, or a "purple cow" session, but the key is that it's audience-centric and not speech driven. Power point is banned, and a live internet connection is available. A strong moderator makes sure that no one monopolizes the session. I come away with a couple of good ideas which pay for the whole SES.

3PM I could stop now, but I decide to go to a session so I can meet up with one of the speakers at it. The session is good, and the speaker says they will be in the networking room for the next half hour, which clears the room for the next session. They get mobbed there and I can't get a chance to talk to them, but that was going to happen anyway and at least I had an opportunity, so I'm not upset.

4PM Stay in the networking room to see if I can find someone to go to dinner with. Notice that the whiteboard says that some of my friends are meeting at a nearby restaurant. I go next door to check my email, and go meet them after hanging around the networking party for a while and using up my drink tickets .

7PM There are a couple of parties being held, one is open to everyone, and a couple are invite only. There are advantages to each. I choose the one that suits my mood and go.

Midnight I stumble into my hotel room, answer a few emails, sort out the busness cards I collected and go to sleep. Tomorrow will be another busy day.

That's my idea of a perfect SES day. It might not be everyones, but hopefully there are a couple of ideas in there.

Ian
Great detailed response mate - as per usual.

I also see the benefit of the niched conferences.
Travel, Finance, Product Marketing, News, Entertainment, etc.

Obviously the larger conferences are more profitable but possibly the tracks could be divided to cover individual industries.

Forget the food and drop the price - let vendors hold luncheons.

A teaching session with an internet connection where people can come with their laptops and join the classroom online.

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 07-08-2007 at 12:19 AM.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007   #13
mrl5545

mrl5545 is on a distinguished road
Dont forget BtoB

Would love to see more directed to btob websites that are lead generation in nature. I have been to a few sessions in the past but looks like most info is for companies that sell online.
mrl5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #14
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Virtually with you

Webex the whole darn thing.

Whatever happened to online education?

I know I know, we all work in a virtual community so its really nice to finally get out, meet and greet, rub elbows, go to parties, get cool swag and network with people in the real world... and I like to do that to. However, I just don’t have the time nor can I justify 3-4 grand to attend 4 days of sessions where only half of them are relevant to me.

If I could attend virtually I would. This way I could attend only the sessions I want and not have to spend the time which is precious to me right now.

(SES could get valuable visitor behavior stats)

Of course I could ask for something completely unrealistic and say to hold an SES down in San Diego which is a FAR superior destination than San Jose.
Some of the best golf courses in the world, World famous San Diego Zoo, Seaworld, downtown ball park, The Chargers are playing, Amazing Beaches and a world class convention center on the water, surrounded by beautiful oceanview hotels, bars, night clubs and shopping? Everything within walking distance or a short cab ride? Did I mention the year round perfect 75 degree weather...?

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #15
Mel66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery
You mean, like ecommexpo?
Old 07-12-2007   #16
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
You mean, like ecommexpo?
I actually do one for them with Amanda... not really hig end yet.
Old 07-12-2007   #17
Black_Knight
Ancient SEO

Black_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really niceBlack_Knight is just really nice
Aye, selling access to an online cast, even if only audio, could spin extra money for the venues and provide greater value for many new customers who can't justify the expense of the travel.

At the very least, video the sessions and sell them a week after as vid-casts.
Black_Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007   #18
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Knight
Aye, selling access to an online cast, even if only audio, could spin extra money for the venues and provide greater value for many new customers who can't justify the expense of the travel.

At the very least, video the sessions and sell them a week after as vid-casts.
Very true... delayed video casts are a great idea and could be a profit center.
Old 07-12-2007   #19
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Video hmm... Great idea! Sell the videos on iTunes so everyone can check them out on their shiny new iPhone.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007   #20
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery

Discovery
The real time transcripts via the blogs are not good enough. ;-) j/k
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote