Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2007   #1
bigjeff

bigjeff is on a distinguished road
How do I know which keywords to target?

I've used allintitle:"search phrase" and inanchor:"search phrase" to help me find out the level of competition for my chosen keywords. Obviously the lower the competition, the better. But some of the keywords have around 1,000 competing pages, others have 3,000, 30,000, 70,000 etc.

I would like to register a domain name with one of these keywords. My question is, considering the number of competing pages, how do I know which is the best keyword to target?

i.e is there a rule of thumb to say that I will stand a good chance of getting to the top of search results with under 1,000 competing pages? 2,000?
bigjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #2
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Thumbs up

Take some of the keywords you know are important and plug them in here:
https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007   #3
bigjeff

Let's put it another way. If you target a particular phrase in Google, what numbers would you be willing to compete against?

When I did my first site I didn't know what I was up against. So my homepage was competing against:

search = 1,510,000
allintitle = 29,000
allinanchor = 14,300

In terms of SEO skills, I guess you can say I've passed white belt , but no way close to black belt . Now I'm happy to target phrases with less than 1000 competing pages.

What's your general opinion on competing numbers for a guy with my skills?
Old 06-10-2007   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
Just to inject a side comment, it isn't only the numbers, but what type of sites are being competed against and whether their numbers are deliberate. Numbers can look for high for some non-commercial, non-revenue search terms, for example, and yet nobody is actually trying for them.

Try using Google's search operators using default FINDALL mode and exact match (in quotes), and check out how aggressive some of the top contenders happen to be.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #5
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Smile

Marcia is right but if you are looking for a number I'd say 2,000,000 (2 million) is a good goal.

Again like Marcia said, it depends on the term!

For example I show one million and some change for ""super bowl tickets"" but that term would be difficult! Good luck!

Last edited by beu : 06-11-2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: EDITING IS FUN!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007   #6
bigjeff

Thanks for the replies .

I guess there really is no magic formula. You just really have to look at your keywords and get good at knowing who you're up against
Old 06-14-2007   #7
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
I would also look at the keywords phrases that searches are finding your site with, i.e. referrer urls in your log files. This will give you a better understanding of how people are finding your site. Once you have these keywords, you can plug them into the various tools, wordtracker, Google, Yahoo keyword generators and built out a decent list.

One thing that I found out the hard way with SEO, its not always the biggest and bad-est keyword that brings the right kind of traffic to your site and coverts at the same time. Sometime using more niche keywords allows you to bring in the right type of customers that convert higher.

Just keep on creating content, content, and content. The more content you have the more you can leverage the various keywords that apply to your site.
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote