Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-06-2007   #1
Mohit

Mohit is on a distinguished road
Local Business Ads on Google Content Network

We are running local business Ads for our business only on the Google search network currently though there's an option for targeting the content network as well.

How will that be accomplished in the contextual advertising? I can understand in the case of search network (IP sniffing) but how does Google figure out which (target area specific) website they have to syndicate the Ads on?

I heard local business ads also feature on Google SMS, are there any other places where we can find local business ads?

Are there any tools available to track these ads from outside the area?

What should be the strategy while estimating content bids?

Thanks.
Mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #2
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Geo-targeting on the Content Network

Geo-targeting on the Content Network works the same way it does on the Search Network. When the adsense code executes on a page load it looks at the IP address of the site visitor and displays ads accordingly.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #3
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys
Geo-targeting on the Content Network works the same way it does on the Search Network. When the adsense code executes on a page load it looks at the IP address of the site visitor and displays ads accordingly.
You know your stuff mate.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit
We are running local business Ads for our business only on the Google search network currently though there's an option for targeting the content network as well.

How will that be accomplished in the contextual advertising? I can understand in the case of search network (IP sniffing) but how does Google figure out which (target area specific) website they have to syndicate the Ads on?

I heard local business ads also feature on Google SMS, are there any other places where we can find local business ads?

Are there any tools available to track these ads from outside the area?

What should be the strategy while estimating content bids?

Thanks.
A click is a click and can be tracked individually... there is the ability to run a code that will tell whether it was from search or content - don't have it handy but look through the ROI Tracking threads and you should find it.

There is some stuff here:
http://www.google.com/analytics/cu/d...rack_tips.html

Then there is this tool: http://www.apogee-web-consulting.com...ntent_ads.html

http://www.seobook.com/archives/001370.shtml
Old 06-06-2007   #5
Waldo

Waldo is on a distinguished road
Personally I cut back content bids to about 50% of the search bids. I havn't seen the same conversion from those clicks.. so I dropped the cost a bit. Surprisingly, I still get a decent amount from them.
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #6
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo
Personally I cut back content bids to about 50% of the search bids. I havn't seen the same conversion from those clicks.. so I dropped the cost a bit. Surprisingly, I still get a decent amount from them.
You can get the clicks from content for a lot less and they will convert at a decent amount if you use site exclusion.
Old 06-08-2007   #7
Mohit

Mohit is on a distinguished road
abbottsys and AussieWebmaster,

Are you saying that if I am running a Local Ads campaign on Content Network and targeting some specific regions in California, my Ads will be displayed only on those context sensitive websites which are being accessed in that targeted area?I would like to confirm this as I have read on many forums where visitors from outside the area were responsible for most click-throughs. And running ads for a popular vertical, may hit you hard!

Thanks.
Mohit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #8
Waldo

Waldo is on a distinguished road
Should be the case.

AdWords should only let your ad run if it is in your target DMA regardless of content network or SERP.
Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #9
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohit
abbottsys and AussieWebmaster,

Are you saying that if I am running a Local Ads campaign on Content Network and targeting some specific regions in California, my Ads will be displayed only on those context sensitive websites which are being accessed in that targeted area?I would like to confirm this as I have read on many forums where visitors from outside the area were responsible for most click-throughs. And running ads for a popular vertical, may hit you hard!

Thanks.
You will see which ones are sending that type of traffic and drop them.
Old 06-15-2007   #10
1066sem
1st-sem UK

1066sem is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Nice one AussieWebmaster. A very useful tool. And some very good advice on local searches for content. No need for me to post a question now. Cheers.
1066sem is offline   Reply With Quote