Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2007   #1
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
What Does Ask.com Need to Do to Succeed?

Ask.com has been busy with several moves on both the search and advertising side. They've also spent a lot of money on a TV campaign to drive user interest. In a post on the SEW blog, What Should Ask.com Do?, I've outlined a recent discussion that's been taking place on a few blogs recently. The question is, what's the best strategy for Ask.com to follow to succeed against its much larger competitors?
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007   #2
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
So today, Ask.com launched its "Ask3D" interface, with new features that are meant to align more closely with the way people actually search. Ask3D offers a three-paneled SERP, with query refinements, Web search results, and vertical search results.

Eric Enge gives some great examples in his blog post, Ask Launches Ask3D. I've also gone through the changes in detail in today's SearchDay.

Think this is the right answer? Will it be enough?
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #3
gravel72

gravel72 is on a distinguished road
Marketing Advice for Ask.com

Kevin,

It still seems they are trying way to hard to push their “algorithm”.

<snip>

Thanks,
-John Ellis

Last edited by evilgreenmonkey : 06-21-2007 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Please do not self-promote - opinions should be left on this thread.
gravel72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #4
trooperbill

trooperbill is on a distinguished road
i love the new layout
but would like adverts to be vertical down the right hand side not on top of the natural listings...

the cleaner the better, if they do this they'll be onto a winner

mark rushworth
web designer
trooperbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #5
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Buy Google and scrap Ask.com?
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #6
AnthonyCea

AnthonyCea can only hope to improve
Barry Diller is a man to be reckoned with, he is selling search like McDonald's sells hamburgers in going after the user with mass market TV ads.

Ask does not have enough data center power, but none of the search engines do, they do not spider the web enough, their search index is quite old because of this lack of capacity, so to move forward they need to invest billions in data centers as Google, M$ and Yahoo are.

All the search engines are way behind the curve of the web in regard to their ability to properly index all the content out there and it will take years and Billions to catch up.
AnthonyCea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #7
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
The new interface is nice and clean. I like the site previews for the organic listings, and the drill down search to the right.

However, as an advertiser ASK.com's returns have always been terrible. The bottom line is that they have no user base for their search services, so the only traffic they can provide you is from their other partner sites which are mostly garbitrage.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007   #8
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Call me crazy, but a way to submit your site would also be nice. All the other kids are doing it!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007   #9
natureday
natureday-com

natureday is on a distinguished road
Re: What Does Ask.com Need to Do to Succeed?

I really love ask. I advertise on many search engines and they really pull their own weight. I hope people realize they are cooler then google some day!
ANna
natureday is offline   Reply With Quote