Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2007   #1
Alexis

Alexis is on a distinguished road
SES Miami

Hi All,

I live in South Florida and am interesting in taking advantage of a local SES conference coming to town in June. From the SES Miami site, I'm gathering that most of the information is for the Lat. Am. market.

Since I don't necessarily target that market, is it worth it for me to attend? Does anyone have any additional details about the conference agenda before I drop $900?

Thanks,
Alexis
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007   #2
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Hello Alexis,

There are actually two tracks during the two day event. The fundamentals track is primarily focused on those SEM needs that you want to get better at, which doesn't really have to apply to the Latino market. It's like learning math no matter if you adding apples with apples or using examples of oranges. The principles are the same. On the other hand, there are really awesome new sessions at SES Latino on the Landscape and Tactics track that may help you understand how to take your site from being monolingual to multilingual. In our case, we use the prime focus of Spanish or Portuguese driven targeted markets. However, the principles again will also help you with other languages. With regards to the Latino market, you'll be surprised the enormous potential it has, so if you are not targeting them, maybe SES Latino will help you change your mind.

In the process of making your decision... here is a 20% discount for you. Coupon code: 20IHIS

http://www.seslatino.com/sewforums

Saludos,

Nacho
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007   #3
Alexis

Alexis is on a distinguished road
This is helpful. Thanks! Looks like I just might see you there!
Alexis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007   #4
curiousgeo

curiousgeo is on a distinguished road
Hi,

I was thinking of going to the conference in Miami as well. I was wondering if there's things going on the evening that are worth sticking around for. I live about an hour to hour 1/2 north of Miami... so not sure if I should stick around or if I should drive back and forth.

Thanks,
Mike
curiousgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
The party list should be available next week.... though the bar action is always fun.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #6
mcanerin

mcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond reputemcanerin has a reputation beyond repute
I was there last year, and enjoyed it immensely. Which was a complete surprise, since I previously did not have the best impression of Miami, and have been to many, many SES conferences.

I think it's worth going. First, it's not like there are different rules for SEO for the latino market. It's still SEO. There are just some extra things you need to know about.

That means that a lot of the conference will apply to those who just do English language SEO, and also to anyone doing multilingual or international SEO, Spanish or otherwise.

Oh, and my opinion on Miami ended up getting changed, too

Ian
Old 06-07-2007   #7
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I really enjoyed SES Latino 2006 as well.

If you are unsure, check out last years coverage at http://www.seroundtable.com/archives...06_latino.html

I believe we will be covering it as well this year. I personally wont be going, but cshel will be doing the leg work.

The hotel, location, audience and sessions were all great last year - i suspect it will be great this year also.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007   #8
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
The latin market is huge and I think learning more about the subtle differences of the various countries' languiage use etc. in and of itself invaluable.
Old 06-11-2007   #9
lorenbaker

lorenbaker has a spectacular aura aboutlorenbaker has a spectacular aura about
I'll be attending and have a special interest in the Brazilian search market, Orkut and Google's $100 Laptop plans in the Mercado Brasiliero, especially with Brasil Telecom charging an arm & leg for Internet connection.

Besides that, Miami should be a blast. I've been living in Florida for 4 months now and have only been to Miami once. Drinking cafe con leche in the morning and espressos cubanos between sessions should be tight, not to mention dropping by Mangoes in the evening or just chillin' on Ocean Drive, sippin' on a Mojito.
lorenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007   #10
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenbaker
I'll be attending and have a special interest in the Brazilian search market, Orkut and Google's $100 Laptop plans in the Mercado Brasiliero, especially with Brasil Telecom charging an arm & leg for Internet connection.

Besides that, Miami should be a blast. I've been living in Florida for 4 months now and have only been to Miami once. Drinking cafe con leche in the morning and espressos cubanos between sessions should be tight, not to mention dropping by Mangoes in the evening or just chillin' on Ocean Drive, sippin' on a Mojito.
Sweet.... we are organising some sort of event.... a group of us are digging in to our pockets to buy some drinks on Monday night I think.

Be good seeing you again....
Old 06-12-2007   #11
AussieWebmaster

I really think it pathetic that the big three engines all have passed on any type of social event this year.

Might be why the Latin market is so disorganised... no one really seems to care... well except for Terespondo people who must be wondering why Yahoo even bothered buying them.....

No one seems to remember when there was very little use of ecommerce on US sites... and the ones that did had a hard time convincing people to use them.

It was a fast turn around and the engines where there waiting... in other countries I see the big three running behind this. Where big traffic numbers are beginning to develop they are getting involved but just like in Japan and China the locals dominate because they were there....

Hey it would be classic if Google, Yahoo and MSN fell behind in the end because they were too xenophobic
Old 06-12-2007   #12
Nacho

Nacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to beholdNacho is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
I really think it pathetic that the big three engines all have passed on any type of social event this year.
I think that what happened last year was that both engines were tripping over each other to see who would throw the best party and ended up dividing the group, which in turn pissed both of them off a lot.

I expect that this year, they are trying to keep their social networking partying a surprise and this is why no one has heard anything yet. I have a good feeling that Google will come through, let's just hope my gut feeling is right. You know they like to draw attention in unexpected ways.
Nacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007   #13
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
I think that what happened last year was that both engines were tripping over each other to see who would throw the best party and ended up dividing the group, which in turn pissed both of them off a lot.

I expect that this year, they are trying to keep their social networking partying a surprise and this is why no one has heard anything yet. I have a good feeling that Google will come through, let's just hope my gut feeling is right. You know they like to draw attention in unexpected ways.
hey either way I think we will have fun... there are a handful of us who will dig into their own pockets and have some fun....
Old 06-14-2007   #14
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
hey either way I think we will have fun... there are a handful of us who will dig into their own pockets and have some fun....
damn damn damn...every quote you make in here I am more bummed I won't be there. You make sure to take care of my colleagues Lisa and Andy though right?
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #15
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Boggs
damn damn damn...every quote you make in here I am more bummed I won't be there. You make sure to take care of my colleagues Lisa and Andy though right?
Got be more global... I am reading my copy of Hispanic Business.... waiting until Sunday to go and enjoy some knowledgable conversations in Miami.... live is good
Old 06-14-2007   #16
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Smile Welcome to SES Miami

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdvP6eyApyM
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007   #17
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu
I can see Nacho dancing up a storm
Old 06-15-2007   #18
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
Darn it, I want to go as well now. Don't think my body can take another time zone though - and I suppose I have to do that thing called "work" as well. I loved Miami the last time I was there, I'm sure you'll have a superb time.
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007   #19
daver

daver is on a distinguished road
Alexis - I went last year and it was worth it to me. Even if you arent targeting the Spanish speaking market I looked at it as a way of thinking. Its interesting to see the differences in how people of different languages use a site, search, and just interact.

As I look to launch a Spanish site this year it will be a great conference and great timing btw Nacho
daver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007   #20
lorenbaker

lorenbaker has a spectacular aura aboutlorenbaker has a spectacular aura about
Finally reserved flight & hotel (apparently the last hotel room on the SES Latino block). Was going to stay on South Beach, but if I did that I highly doubt I would make it to the conference at all.

Looks like we're a 15 minute cab ride from Ocean Drive, that is, if the hotel scene gets old.

In Miami, the city that keeps the roof blazin'.
lorenbaker is offline   Reply With Quote