Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007   #1
LHC67

LHC67 is on a distinguished road
Link Building Incentives?

I'm in the process of building links for a couple of SEM clients. I'm having difficulty coming up with ways to convince sites why they would want to link to my sites. Both sites have good content, are reputable, etc.

A few days ago a colleague suggested that we come up with an "incentive program" for link building. I don't want it to appear that I'm bribing or attaining links in an unethical manner but I need some help.

Does anyone do anything like this?

Thanks in advance!
LHC67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #2
debraM

debraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nice
Quote:
I don't want it to appear that I'm bribing or attaining links in an unethical manner but I need some help. Does anyone do anything like this?
It's rare for people to link to a site "just because" unless you have an amazing site with content that can't be found elsewhere. Even then you need to let people know where it is so they can link to it.

I don't think offering a well thought out incentive is a bribe or unethical unless you're offering first born children or items that can't be delivered. Create an incentive that showcases what you have to offer and is exclusive, people like to think they're getting something special.

Start by extending the offer to current customers, vendors, family and friends and then branch into any Associations you belong to. It's much smarter to market to an established group of people who already buy your "stuff" and like you than hunt around for new prospects.

Search on "community" + "your keywords" to find social networking sites hosting your demographic and get involved. You'd be amazed to find out what some of these sites are offering their membership in the way of networking and promotion opportunities.

Now all that said, I will also say this: If you're going into a culture or country you're not familiar with - get familiar with their business dynamics before you start. There's no road back from offending culture and custom.
debraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #3
skysoldier

skysoldier is on a distinguished road
The best way is you must also consider if the site you want to link with is related with your site.
skysoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #4
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
LHC, welcome, and listen to the wise words of the Debra. Entering into a link relationship should be considered as you would any other business relationship. The more important the connection, the more likely you are to spend time and resources to nurture the networking opportunity.

Don't think of only ythe linking benefit from and SEO sense - forget about PageRank and figure out if the other site's visitor's will benefit from the link to your page. If there is a large potential for visits from a page, I would say it becomes even more valuable in a "bribe" sense, as you put it.

There are many recent discussions about buying and selling links that you should read. (an example)

Good luck!

CB
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #5
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
A local SEO/blogger has offered 15 minutes consultation to everyone short-listed in a national blog competition (it's a small nation), to take-up the offer you must mention it (with a link) on your own blog.

Quite neat I thought :-)
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #6
debraM

debraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nice
Quote:
Quite neat I thought :-)
Agree! Although I think he's going to be a very tired blogger when it's all over!

Quote:
The best way is you must also consider if the site you want to link with is related with your site.
Bold is mine. I don't know if related sites are necessarily the "best way" unless you qualify them. If your related site isn't in the index, has crummy content or looks less than honest in any way, I'd avoid it related or not.

So related yes. Related and marketable - better. Related, marketable and high ranking - best.
debraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #7
PeteBKay

PeteBKay is on a distinguished road
For our B2B manufacturing clients, one thing we do is get distributors to link to their site by posting content that distributors' customers need, such as spec sheets, product onesheets and the like (NOT PDF format but HTML format).

This solves several problems....first, the distributors don't have to constantly update content on their site. Manufacturers can build special landing pages for certain distributors if they want. And customers can quickly find the latest data on products.

Bottom line is....think carefully about your customers' customers. What do content do they want? Everyone is different.
PeteBKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #8
pdstein

pdstein is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBKay
For our B2B manufacturing clients, one thing we do is get distributors to link to their site by posting content that distributors' customers need, such as spec sheets, product onesheets and the like (NOT PDF format but HTML format).

This solves several problems....first, the distributors don't have to constantly update content on their site. Manufacturers can build special landing pages for certain distributors if they want. And customers can quickly find the latest data on products.

Bottom line is....think carefully about your customers' customers. What do content do they want? Everyone is different.
Great idea and great advice!
pdstein is offline   Reply With Quote