Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2007   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Who's using AdWords Negative Suggestion Tool?

I must say I just came across this recently and saw it mentioned in a great negative keyword article.

Who is using it at the moment or who plans too now that it is found....
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #2
mwoolgar

mwoolgar is on a distinguished road
I used it last week. Personally I don't think much of it . I entered 5 keywords as suggested but it didn't give me anything. I continued to add keywords and eventually it spat out a negative keyword - but nothing very impressive.
mwoolgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #3
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
I have been using this for a while. It is an excellent tool! In most cases I run it in an ad group, add a bunch of negative keywords then run the clean sweep function to add them as campaign negative keywords.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Okay I will be working with it this week and will give my opinions as well.... keep posting folks - possibly some industries it is good and others it is not... I wonder how they determine the negatives... from customers usage??? let's hope not.
Old 05-08-2007   #5
PPC

Are you guys talking about the Google keyword tool and the 'possible negative keywords' option?

If so, here is how this tool works:

- You enter a term (example: 'car').
- It spits out a huge list of the most common searches that include that term (ex: car parts, car hire, car pictures, car sale, honda car, car insurance quote, britney spears getting out of car, remote control cars, etc.).
- Next to each search term you are given a link to add the negative to the ad group (ex: Add negative -parts, Add negative -hire, add negative -insurance quote, etc.)

So the tool is effective for those using broad match and the more general the term, the better. You are still going to need to use common sense when using this to figure out which negatives to add. This saves me a ton of time and takes out a lof of steps of adding negative keywords to my ad groups or campaigns.

To easily add your negative keywords from an ad group to an entire campaign just do the following. After you save to ad group, go to the campaign screen, click 'edit' from the negative keywords screen, under clean sweep choose 'any ad group', click on the run clean sweep button and add any or all of your negative terms.
Old 05-08-2007   #6
AussieWebmaster

Yes we are PPC... thanks for the input.
Old 05-08-2007   #7
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

I use it all the time. Love it. I still use the regular keyword suggestion tool to make sure I've covered all the negatives, but most times they came up in the negative keyword search. I love the fact that you can export the KWs into Excel and manipulate them, save for other ad groups, post to Adwords Editor, etc. It's very useful.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #8
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Is it even available to everyone?

May 1, there were reports of it, but I personally do not see it.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #9
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Barry, I don't have it as a tab, but it's an option in the pull-down menu of the Keyword Tool within Adwords. So maybe this is just a cosmetic change?

(I'm trying to log in to Adwords to see if I have the tabs this morning, but the interface is slower than molasses! If I see the tabs, I'll post again.)

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #10
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
Barry, I don't have it as a tab, but it's an option in the pull-down menu of the Keyword Tool within Adwords. So maybe this is just a cosmetic change?

(I'm trying to log in to Adwords to see if I have the tabs this morning, but the interface is slower than molasses! If I see the tabs, I'll post again.)

Melissa
I am talking about the drop down..... many people are not aware of it and it is generally available as far as I was aware.
Old 05-10-2007   #11
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Interesting. Maybe that is why they are testing a new UI for it.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #12
PPC

Yeah, there was no publicity at all regarding this tool... or the other options in the drop down menu (search volume trends, cost and ad position estimates). I've had it available in my account for at least a few months now.
Old 05-10-2007   #13
CarrieHill
Oversees: Small Business Marketing Online

CarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the rough
We use it quite a bit for our travel clients. It's important not to bid on Fargo, GA if our client is in Fargo, ND. I also use some other geo sites for that purpose just to be sure.

I know even quite a few in my agency don't know about the tool (not for lack of telling sometimes) hopefully a new UI will bring it's usefulness to the forefront.
~C
CarrieHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #14
AussieWebmaster

Interesting - a bit hard to do a negative for a city of the same name but a different state.... that would be a local search with a geo limit I think
Old 05-10-2007   #15
CarrieHill
Oversees: Small Business Marketing Online

CarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the roughCarrieHill is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Interesting - a bit hard to do a negative for a city of the same name but a different state.... that would be a local search with a geo limit I think
True - we have to do this with "-fargo ga" and "-fargo georgia" and then if we have issues with still showing up for the wrong terms - we will do a regionally targeted campaign.

Historically in my experience, terms that DONT include the state and are phrase and exact match don't convert very well - regardless of their geolocation or the competition for that city name between states. Really high impressions, very low CTR or Revenue.
CarrieHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007   #16
GuyFromChicago

GuyFromChicago will become famous soon enoughGuyFromChicago will become famous soon enough
I use it quite a bit. I find it especially helpful in markets that are newer to me and that I don't already extensive negative kw lists built for.
GuyFromChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007   #17
dotTim

dotTim is on a distinguished road
Negative Suggestion Tool Is Time Saving

Yesterday I used the Negative Suggestion Tool on an Ad Group with excellent results. I added every suggested negative because they were all spot on for things I wanted excluded; it saved me a bunch of time because, previously, I hadn't had the time (nor had remembered) to create a list of negatives after looking over my server logs.
dotTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007   #18
AussieWebmaster

It is amazing how much negatives improve your CTR, quality of traffic and overall conversions....
Old 05-14-2007   #19
andr3a

andr3a is on a distinguished road
Extended broad?

Guys with regards to negatives has anyone had problems with the match type? I heard the extended broad matching can be very restrictive and so better go for phrase?
andr3a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007   #20
ams123
One-way, Reciprocal and 3-way Linking-Rankready.com

ams123 is on a distinguished road
Nice Discussion...

Its really nice forum...and the discussion helped a lot...
Thanx mates!!!
ams123 is offline   Reply With Quote