Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2007   #1
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
An overview of AdWords to date..

I've been using adwords since Feb, 2002. So today I decided to do a quick "all time" review and put my thoughts together with regards to what's given me the best ROI over the years. Here's what I came up with..

1) Ad formats
You've got text, image and video. Text rules. It's the workhorse of ad formats.

2) Ad distribution
You've got keyword targeted (on the Search, Content, and Mobile networks), and site targeted. Keyword targeted blows site targeted away.

3) Payment methods
You've got CPC, CPM and CPA. Without a doubt CPC totally dominates. CPC revenue has single-handedly built Google.

Who knows what the future might bring, but the feeling I get from the past 5 years is that the "Text/Keyword Targeting/CPC" model will be very hard to beat. In fact, it may be unbeatable. It may be *the* model for online ads. Not sexy, not glamorous - just deadly effective.
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #2
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
abbottsys, I gotta say it. You start some really excellent topics.

I can't wait to see where this one goes - and hope it gets lots of activity.

BTW, you've been with AdWords for three months longer than I have! I'm very glad you're still an advertiser, and that I'm still here as well.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #3
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
Agreed! I have been using AdWords since August 2002 and the products that were first available are still the best performers...Keyword Targeted, CPC Ads!
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007   #4
sodahip

sodahip is on a distinguished road
abbottsys - What are your thoughts on keyword targeting in the content network? I get differing opinions on it, and would like to hear your take since you've been advertising with Google for so long.

Cheers!

S
sodahip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007   #5
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Content Network comments...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sodahip
abbottsys - What are your thoughts on keyword targeting in the content network? I get differing opinions on it, and would like to hear your take since you've been advertising with Google for so long.
I use the Content network extensively, and I get good results. But, I always apply a few basic rules..

1) I use specific keywords for each ad. No broad keywords.
2) I use conversion tracking to get cost/conversion and monitor it very closely. It's my primary metric for managing ads on both content and search networks.
3) I accept much lower CTRs on the Content network of course, but that's ok because google does not penalize low CTRs on the Content network.
4) If necessary I'll set lower bids for the content network, but usually the same bid as the search network works fine.
5) If I'm geo-targeting multiple countries I first test each country individually.
6) I do not bid into the top positions, but I accept these positions if google promotes my ad due to quality. Still, when I'm in top positions I monitor cost/conversion even more closely in case of lower quality traffic.

Last edited by abbottsys : 05-05-2007 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-08-2007   #6
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
abbottsys, I gotta say it. You start some really excellent topics.

I can't wait to see where this one goes - and hope it gets lots of activity.

BTW, you've been with AdWords for three months longer than I have! I'm very glad you're still an advertiser, and that I'm still here as well.

AWR
Thanks AWR.
I would love to hear comments and experiences from others on this topic.
Old 05-09-2007   #7
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
OK, I'll bite. We've used Adwords since June 2002, so almost 5 years. My experience mirrors abbottsys's in almost every way.

We get good results in the content network, in general. There are a few pockets where we've had to turn it off. However, with the new reporting tools on the horizon, I believe content will be a viable option for all our campaigns and for most advertisers, since it's easy to see where the good and bad traffic is coming from, and you can exclude the bad. It's been our experience that 98% of the content sites are good sites - it's the 2% of bad apples that ruin the bunch, and when you remove them, it's all good.

If G would add site exclusion to the search network, it would be even better.

There have been very few changes over the years in Adwords that have been negative. Everything that's been done has been a huge step in the right direction. My biggest beef is the trademark policy. I wish Google would go to the same policy as Yahoo and MSN and allow resellers to use trademark terms in their ads. (AWR, are you listening? )

Overall we are very happy with Google - it has grown from a few sales a week in 2002 to our largest acquisition program in 2007.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I too have seen similar results... but have a few other observations.

Keyword Insert - it is great for increasing CTR but we have found not as good for conversion.... hence we pulled back on using it except as a way of inserting keyword into destination URL.... but like all things we test it here and there to see if we can change that.

Content has developed into a steady source of acquisitions... you need to work through some site exclusion, bid juggling (I agree top spot is not always best).

Click fraud numbers have decreased while arbitrage players have made sure PPC prices have continued to grow.

Inactive move by G has been the most interruptive and costly change since they launched.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote