Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Ask.com
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2004   #1
MUSCLE13

Ask Jeeves Adds Personal Search Features: MyJeeves Beta

Hey Guys I found this on Andy's Search Engine Lowdown a couple of days ago and then he pulled it off the site after I informed him his link to the MarketingVox article didn't work. I then went to the MarketingVox site and couldn't find the article listed there. Since Andy had it I am really confused. I still found this link listed when I did an Ask news search though. Do any of you guys know anything about this mystery article

Ask Jeeves to Offer Personalized Search
Search Engine Lowdown - 9/9/2004 11:58:00 AM ET
Jeeves to Offer Personalized SearchAccording to MarketingVOX, Ask Jeeves is getting ready to launch a 'personal...
Old 09-16-2004   #2
MUSCLE13

Webvisitor - I was really interested in that personalization rumor that was posted on Searchenginelowdown a few days ago and then pulled from the site. So I tried typing a few urls randomly yesterday and came up with this

http://ask.myway.com

Unfortunately it looks like authorization is needed to look at this so I couldn't see the site but it intrigued me. Anybody's guess what Jeeves may be working on. The one thing that struck me yesterday about all the rumors of changes coming is that the Jeeves management has stated in the press this year and their quarterly earnings calls that they are going to change the way people search. Looking forward to it.
Old 09-18-2004   #3
MUSCLE13

As suspected - Personalization coming

Message from Jeeves-

I'm going sky surfing to celebrate a brand new discovery I've made. Its really going to change and personalize your entire experience at Ask.com. September 21st will tell the tale.

http://sp.ask.com/docs/mj/default.htm
Old 09-20-2004   #4
MUSCLE13

Details revealed
http://www.dmnews.com/cgi-bin/artpre...ticle_id=30440
Ask Jeeves Adds Personalization

Sept. 20, 2004

By: Brian Morrissey
Senior Editor

Ask Jeeves is the latest search engine to try its hand at personalization, adding a feature that lets users create an index of their favorite Internet sites.

Last edited by dannysullivan : 09-20-2004 at 08:03 AM. Reason: Deleted reposting of article; summary quotes only, please.
Old 09-20-2004   #5
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I've added just a few more details via our blog here: Ask To Release My Jeeves Personal Search This Week. Gary's working on the longer write-up, and I'm sure we'll see a flood of other articles, as well.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #6
AndyBeal
Fortune Interactive

AndyBeal is on a distinguished road
The news was leaked early last week and then Search Engine Lowdown was asked to pull the story.

The official announcement was not supposed to come until tomorrow, but DMNews broke the embargo. Anyway, the story is up on SEW's blog and Search Engine Lowdown. However, I noticed that the DMNews story has now been pulled, so expect Ask Jeeves to try and get the story pulled from all sources until tomorrow. Unfortunately, I think it might be too late and the will probably just go with it.
AndyBeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #7
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
This is way too late. Too many blogs have it. Oh well.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #8
AndyBeal
Fortune Interactive

They're still trying to get it taken down on SEL. They should just go with the flow and accept that it's public knowledge now.
Old 09-20-2004   #9
AndyBeal
Fortune Interactive

I've taken down the info at Search Engine Lowdown (at least the fine details). I told Ask Jeeves that if they could get Danny to edit his post, I'd edit mine. I didn't think Danny would, but he did, so I did too!
Old 09-20-2004   #10
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Aww, that's too bad. [side note]And this makes for my 800'th post.[/side note] I guess you can just repost it tomorrow.
Old 09-20-2004   #11
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
I was told by Ask Jeeves that you had taken the post down already, Andy -- not that you would only if I did. I did look to see if your post had been dropped, but actually the entire site was giving me a 404 error when I visited.

In the end, I didn't drop the post because you did or because DMNews dropped its story but because we at SEW did agree to an embargo and the DMNews story apparently broke that accidentally. It was a courtesy to them.

The entire thing was pretty absurd. Our post had only the barest of details, and those are still floating out in the blogosphere. Anyway, Gary will provide many more details with others, along with the rest of the media posts.
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #12
MUSCLE13

Remember my first post on SEW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSCLE13
Oh by the way MUSCLE13 has arrived
Old 09-21-2004   #13
rustybrick

Official MyJeeves Beta FAQ is up.
Old 09-21-2004   #14
AndyBeal
Fortune Interactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannysullivan
I was told by Ask Jeeves that you had taken the post down already, Andy -- not that you would only if I did.
Sounds like we were played off against each other.

They should have just gone with the story yesterday, but apparently they had spent the previous week discussing with reporters so had some big coverage to protect.

On a side note, I was due to speak with them on Monday about the story. I didn't get the full details until reading the DMNews report and hence wasn't technically under embargo. I guess I could have ran with it. Oh well, best not to bite the hand that feeds.

The full report is now live on Search Engine Lowdown.
Old 09-28-2004   #15
oprf71

oprf71 is on a distinguished road
can,t access my jeeves

my jeeves must be great but I can,t get on the site.I register with my e-mail and password and nothing happens.Is the problem with cookies or something else? HELP!!!
oprf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #16
MUSCLE13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oprf71
my jeeves must be great but I can,t get on the site.I register with my e-mail and password and nothing happens.Is the problem with cookies or something else? HELP!!!
Are you using AOL? I am having the exact same problem when using AOL on both my home computers but when I switch to Internet Explorer I can sign in to MyJeeves. They should really fix this. I bet its effecting a ton of AOL users.
Old 09-28-2004   #17
oprf71

oprf71 is on a distinguished road
my jeeves HELP!!!

i have aol dial-up and windows xp.I can,t log-on to my jeeves.I don,t think it,s cookies but maybe my firewall.I thought I had ie for my browser.any suggestions on this problem?
oprf71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #18
MUSCLE13

I have AOL DSL. What I did was minimized my AOL window and opened up my Internet Explorer window. I can get into MyJeeves account from IE. I wrote to Jeeves customer service about the problem with AOL. Maybe someone from Jeeves could post here on this forum and address the issue? Is this a problem for all the AOL users?

Last edited by MUSCLE13 : 09-28-2004 at 03:44 PM.
Old 10-01-2004   #19
MUSCLE13

Quote:
Originally Posted by oprf71
Jeeves fixed the problem with AOL. MyJeeves is working for me now dude. Tell me if it works for you too.