Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > The Padded Room
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2004   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
You Better Pray...

You are not the "SEO firm" (and I'll use that phrase VERY lightly) I just found claiming my work over the last 8 months as your 'successful SEO' results in your SUMMER 2004 newsletter.

Because those rankings didn't come until well after I got done removing invisible gifs to your junky doorway pages, that you put in well over a year ago and never gave the client any return, who came to me desparate for help in a competitive industry, and I did the job as a favor to a friend and because it was clear they had already been hosed once by their SEO/hosting service.

You better hope I don't keep digging up dirt on you. Oops. too late.

be afraid. very afraid. I'll be your worst nightmare come tomorrow morning.

grrr....

i'm generally not a SPAM reporter - and I probably still won't report the company's shoddy techniques to the engines because they aren't a threat that way -

but other people claiming MY Work as their own is something I WILL NOT tolerate.

Last edited by Elisabeth : 09-19-2004 at 11:23 PM.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #2
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
yipes for someone...

bummer deal for all parties involved

http://www.pirated-sites.com/
perhaps seo-pirated-sites.com is in order?
Old 09-20-2004   #3
projectphp
What The World, Needs Now, Is Love, Sweet Love

projectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to beholdprojectphp is a splendid one to behold
Hell hath no fury...
projectphp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #4
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
I hate that, Elizabeth. I've had my entire site copied before. Go get 'em.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #5
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeV
I hate that, Elizabeth. I've had my entire site copied before. Go get 'em.
to be clear, they didn't copy a site or optimization done by me - they're claiming the rankings the site has now is due to their "SEO" work done in the far past. (interestingly, the client is not listed on their client list though)

back in the spring i took down their pages and doorway links. site went from a PR3 to a PR5 now.

But flat out copying articles & presentations REALLY gets me too, especially where it's a situation where they just wanted the content, and I would have agreed in exchange for a byline & link, if they had just asked first. common courtesy would have gone much further -
but that's when I just go straight to the DMCA in that case.
Old 09-20-2004   #6
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
Sorry; I should have clarified that I understood that they were claiming the rankings. I could have been clearer.

Yes, I've found the DMCA extremely helpful. As are web hosts who have been provided with proof.
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #7
Elisabeth

well, in the interest of dealing with this right away, I was probably going to give them a call directly tomorrow- and demand they take it down immediately on their own will, before any legal steps are taken, usually that's enough to get their interest.

but considering it's their "summer" newsletter, it's been out there longer than I would have liked, meaning they've likely profited in some way from using that example - and it just really gets me that they could be claiming those techniques get clients results.

And I'm wondering if I should really go the direct route this time, not that this is a case where I could really get a retraction/restitution out of them anyway, or if we should also report to the BBB because they are making false claims on their services.
Old 09-20-2004   #8
Incubator

Incubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura aboutIncubator has a spectacular aura about
Hi Elisabeth, sorry to hear about your situation. They obviously do not seem to care since they have sent out an email to at least there client base. in other mediums they should follow up with a re-traction or correction on an immediate new email release at the min. for you. somehow i dont think that is going to happen.

You will probally step into legal here but i would out them on the major forums and then wait for there response while the legal is in process, this kind of crap is another problem in the seo/sem world that needs to be stopped.

I wish you luck, we have been there so i know what your going through

Cheers

WC
Incubator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #9
Chris_D

Chris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud ofChris_D has much to be proud of
Elisabeth

Believe me - what comes around - goes around. I had almost exactly the same thing happen just a few weeks ago.....

Bloody funny. Actually - in hindsight - it was too bloody funny.

It took the prospect about 3 nanoseconds to work out who did the work - and who had NFI.

I'm sure that you will be able to leverage this in exactly the same way.....

Cherish it. When you get to slam dunk them - you'll see what I mean!

Chris
Chris_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #10
dstew
Just me

dstew is on a distinguished road
Angry

Just appalling and disgusting...I can't believe people would actually bethis stupid either. So you put up false claims to get clients. When you do the work and your clients don't see the benefit, what then? Just stupid and disgusting.
dstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #11
Chris Boggs

Chris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud ofChris Boggs has much to be proud of
hey I optimized Google...

...see the PR 10

It's funny, because I actually went to the same high school as Al Gore...coincidence?

Seriously though, I would actually demand a public apology (on their website).

Last edited by Chris Boggs : 09-20-2004 at 01:39 PM. Reason: typo
Chris Boggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #12
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about
Did they copy your entire article?
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote