Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2004   #1
davidatweboptimiser

davidatweboptimiser is on a distinguished road
SEO Roadshow review

That was great, nice to see everyone again. I have written out a review of the SEO Roadshow for those that could not make it, see you all again, soon. Thanks to the organisers.

David
davidatweboptimiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
David, thanks for the quick review.

Can you or someone else give us more detail?

Scotland sounds cool...Will it be on a Saturday? What are the expected dates?
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #3
robwatts
Idoit: A non too bright volunteer

robwatts has a spectacular aura aboutrobwatts has a spectacular aura about
Scotland is cool, especially this time of the year and thereafter.

K'in freezing in fact.
robwatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #4
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
Mikey does the SEO roadshow.

Day 1

Enter hotel, RC Jordan thrusts beer into my hand and explains the speaking schedule for the following day:

12.00 pm [Name censored] Presents "Everything I know about SEO"

12.01 pm Mike Grehan presents "Everything I love about SEMPO"

12.02 pm Let the drinking begin.

I spot my buddy Nicholine Hayward and greet her with a hug. This will become the theme for the entire weekend.

Next I hug Barry Lloyd and his wonderful wife Hilary. Swiftly followed by a round of hugs for Jim Banks, Ammon Johns and Shak.

Peter Da Vanzo arrives and I'm already limbering up for more hugging. I start to drink "little girly" white wine spritzers while the butch and manly black hats guzzle REAL beer.

Shak arranges for a fleet of taxis to take a crowd of us to an eaterie in the west end. Here, I drink more "little girly" drinks, randomly hug people and introduce Aaron Wall to his first real curry.

Eating over and done with, we head for the tube, here I begin to hug people and say goodbye to those who are leaving. The rest head back to the hotel. I decide to buy everybody in the hotel a drink, many of whom are not actually with the SEO roadshow crowd, but are happy to accept free drinks from me nonetheless.

At some point everything goes black.

Day 2

I wake up to a couple of little surprises:

1) Ammon Johns is in the room with me (no we are not doing any kind of hugging at this time). I ask him what he's doing in my room - he answers, "how do you think you got back here last night."

2) I find the receipt for the last round of drinks I purchased the night before. I sit on the edge of the bed and begin to weep a little...

12.00 pm or thereabouts, we enter the Citte of York pub. I spot my dear friend Fantomaster and the hugging begins. Within minutes I have hugged Danny Sullivan, Barry and Hilary (again) Shak (again) David White, and possibly even NFFC. And by now I'm back on the "little girly" drinks.

I pop downstairs and ruin Danny Sullivan's lunch by entering into a very secret and private conversation between just the two of us... and JenStar who is sitting right next to me ear-wigging everything.

I go back upstairs where I start randomly hugging people at the entrance to the pub... only to discover they have absolutely nothing to do with the SEO roadshow. Nonetheless, they are happy to be hugged anyway and hug me back with much gusto.

I have some more "little girly" drinks and decide that Danny Sullivan looks like he needs another hug. I then introduce Thomas Bindl to Fantmaster... this will be the first of four times I'll introduce them to each other during the course of the afternoon.

More "little girly" drinks and then it's back to the hotel for... more "little girly" drinks"...

Fantomaster, Dirk, Barry Lloyd and Hilary step out to dinner with me in a swanky Chinese restaurant. I have some more "girly drinks" and then begin to bore the arse off everybody by talking absolute, total crap for about an hour. I then decide that I should pay for dinner.

Back to the hotel and some more "girly drinks" and I realise something wonderful... I can now speak fluent Swahili - no English - just fluent Swahili. Unfortunately the barman doesn't seem to understand Swahili as I attempt to get him to give everybody in the hotel a free drink on me.

Everything goes black again.

Day 3

I wake up to some more surprises:

1) Ammon is nowhere to be seen.

2) My wallet contains only half a 20 pound note for some unknown
reason.

3) Someone is banging a gong inside my head.

I find the receipt from the Chinese restaurant the night before and realise just HOW MUCH dinner had cost me. I sit on the edge of the bed and begin to weep uncontrollably...

Fantomaster texts me with an invitation to join him for breakfast. The mere thought of breakfast has me convulsing. I need some air so I cross Bayswater Road into Hyde Park, where sickeningly healthy looking people are jogging.

I find a park bench, sit down... and promptly fall asleep. I wake about an hour later, looking and feeling like a vagrant. People are still jogging and someone is still banging a gong inside my head.

I head northwards to my home. My wife greets me late afternoon with "how was the conference darling?" - "what conference?" I reply as I head to the bedroom with an Alka Seltzer... and someone still banging a gong inside my head.

Everything goes black again...
Mike Grehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #5
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
best "conference" report, ever, MIKE!

added - of course, those of us that didn't attend already knew exactly what we were missing
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #6
Mike Grehan

Mike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to allMike Grehan is a name known to all
And some random pics here:

http://www.search-engine-book.co.uk/seo_roadshow/
Old 09-19-2004   #7
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
I was only able to make it for the "Citte of York" event - being a newbie to the professional world, my objective was simply to meet the people in the industry and get to know it a little better.

What was great was not simply the informal nature of it all - but also how approachable everyone was. I was honestly astonished that you could walk up to everyone and - no matter who they were, or what background, experience, or income, they had - they seemed happy to engage anyone in conversation.

Glad to see the pictures I took on Mike's camera were also the best ones - then again I was probably the only one sober enough to keep people in the center of the frame.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #8
creativecraig
Who said that..?

creativecraig is on a distinguished road
All the people I had a chat with were all friendly.

Best get together I have been to, a good number as well - too many people and you can not hear what people are saying, not enough people and your voice echo's.

Looking forward to the next one.
creativecraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #9
Jill Whalen
SEO Consulting

Jill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really niceJill Whalen is just really nice
Too funny!

What's funny is that knowing Mike as I do, every word he's said is surely the god's honest truth!

Mike, you have to learn to stop buying drinks for the whole bar...how many times do I have to tell you this!!!

<added>Great pics, Mike!
Jill Whalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #10
bethabernathy
Looking forward to Summer

bethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura aboutbethabernathy has a spectacular aura about

I like the part about falling asleep on the bench.
bethabernathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #11
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Awesome coverage, Danny, think you can republish that at SEW this Monday? Makes for great reading. Damn, I wish I could of been there.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #12
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
I had a ton of fun talking to everyone. Thanks for finding the amazing curry Mike
Old 09-20-2004   #13
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustybrick
Can you or someone else give us more detail?

Scotland sounds cool...Will it be on a Saturday? What are the expected dates?
I also think there is going to be a mid cycle one in the states (somewhere in the Carolinas if memory serves)
Old 09-20-2004   #14
4eyes
Quit - its just not worth the bother anymore

4eyes will become famous soon enough4eyes will become famous soon enough
Edinburgh

This was an awesome event - talked myself hoarse and left with my head spinning with ideas.

Not enough time to talk to all the people I wanted even arriving a day early - clearly next time I'll have to arrive two days early (and stay a day later)

Edinburgh will be a weekend in September 2005 - which one is still to be decided.

As I understand it, the US one is yet to be confirmed.
4eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #15
MakeMeTop
Complete SEO Dunce!

MakeMeTop will become famous soon enough
Great summary, Mike - but you forgot about the part when you introduced Hilary to me before embarking on a eulogy on Penny's outstanding assets to the company over dinner.

Next time we are going to confiscate your credit cards before going for a meal!

A great time, great people, superb atmosphere and a return to a modus-operandi that I thought might have gone forever. Free sharing of information, ideas, suggestions and "war stories" in an amiable atmosphere with no sales pitches. A meeting of friends (even if we had never met personally previously) and minds.

To be continued soon, I hope!

Hats off to the organisers for a job very well done and to all the participants for creating an environment where no-one felt out of place.
MakeMeTop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #16
Mike Grehan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMeTop
Great summary, Mike - but you forgot about the part when you introduced Hilary to me before embarking on a eulogy on Penny's outstanding assets to the company over dinner.
Barry!!!!! How could you - Penny reads this forum sometimes!!!

I'll never be able to look her in the eyes again... and it was difficult enough to do that in the first place

Quote:
Next time we are going to confiscate your credit cards before going for a meal!
Not before the bank manager does I'm afraid

Quote:
A great time, great people, superb atmosphere and a return to a modus-operandi that I thought might have gone forever. Free sharing of information, ideas, suggestions and "war stories" in an amiable atmosphere with no sales pitches. A meeting of friends (even if we had never met personally previously) and minds.
Couldn't agree more!

Quote:
Hats off to the organisers for a job very well done and to all the participants for creating an environment where no-one felt out of place.
Absolutely, well done guys... now remember your image and get those hats back on again
Old 09-20-2004   #17
searchengineblog.com
There's an anti. Let's up it.

searchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura aboutsearchengineblog.com has a spectacular aura about
Excellent summary, Mike.

Fantastic conference. I have a sore head, sore throat and sore bits I didn't even know existed. I now realise it's possible to have a sore liver, too.

Talked to so many great people - all friendly, generous, and dead clever. Came away buzzing with ideas and opportunities to explore and an overwhelming desire to relocate to the UK, if only to ensure a timely arrival at Edinburgh next year.

Thanks to the organisers, you did a top job. See y'all again soon.
searchengineblog.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #18
NFFC
"One wants to have, you know, a little class." DianeV

NFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to beholdNFFC is a splendid one to behold
Well...what a fantastic time. A big thanks to everyone who attended and made it happen.

Hard to pick out any highlights amongst what was one long highlight but three stick in my mind.

Mr Sullivan graciously putting a few quid in the pot so that Cre8aSite could celebrate their second anniversary in style with a toast of champagne.

And then THE moment...out of the corner of my eye I saw littleman and fantomaster lean towards each other and shake hands. Maybe others noticed but the room seemed to wobble a little, I think we witnessed a small rift in the time-space continuum. Still can't get the theme tune to the Omen out my head.

The third...well lets keep a few secrets for those that were there.

Looking forward to Charleston in April [hopefully!] and Edinburgh next September [100%].
NFFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #19
mick g

mick g is a jewel in the roughmick g is a jewel in the roughmick g is a jewel in the rough
excellent event and well organised, looking forward to the next one
mick g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #20
DianeV

DianeV will become famous soon enough
From those of us cre8 folk who couldn't attend, I'd like to thank everyone, and Danny, for the kind comments and attention.

Now: why the East Coast for the U.S.? We do have another coast ... and, if you're talking about the winter, it's generally warm here then. :-)
DianeV is offline   Reply With Quote