Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2007   #1
Tlaserx

Tlaserx is on a distinguished road
Do Google checkout badges help or hurt?

I signed up and put Google checkout badges on my ppc ads recently. I can't yet tell if they are helping or hurting however. My click through rate is up, but I made some ad changes at the same time.

My suspicion is that people are clicking on them because they are new and want to find out what the program is about. So I'm worried that I'm paying for Google to advertise their service.

Anybody else have any experience with them?
Tlaserx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007   #2
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
I reviewed one quick thing with a client that added this feature recently.

It does not show a significant increase in conversions.

However, I do see an increase in click-throughs from the ad to the site since adding the Google Checkout icon to the AdWords listings.

So more exposure but same conversion rates.
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #3
Tlaserx

Tlaserx is on a distinguished road
Lower costs

I think some are clicking because they wonder what Google checkout is. But I also think some of those clicks are offset by the fact that I'm getting clicks from lower positions. Your ads with Google badges in position 5-8 stands out nearly as much as the ones in position 2-4. That's my humble opinion.

So on the backside, I'm able to reduce some of my bids while getting the same clickthrough rates as before. So I think it equals out. I think I'm getting more clicks from the curious, but they cost me less overall. I don't have a good handle on it yet. Will keep everyone informed.
Tlaserx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #4
psurplus

psurplus is on a distinguished road
Perhaps it also is influenced by what industry your ad is competing in. Initially our ads saw increased CTR, but as more advertisers in our space joined Google Checkout, those CTR rates subsided. I also agree with the above comment that ads further down still receive as good of CTR as ads in #1-2 spots. The icon is different between spots #1-2 and 3+ in Firefox, that may also have something to do with it. Try searching the same term from a GC merchant in IE and FireFox.
psurplus is offline   Reply With Quote