Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Web Analytics & Tracking
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2007   #1
usablelayout
Usable Layout

usablelayout is on a distinguished road
Manually force Paid Adwords Campaign Tracking in Analytics

Hi,

Does anyone know of a method to force google (analytics) to associate traffic back to traffic from an adwords campaign. My site does a 301 redirect from the landing link to an entry page link when a user click one of my ads.

i.e. url in adwords is ex.com/landing_url_campaign1.html which does a redirect to ex.com/entry_url.html (which call analytics code). This is done for a few reasons and I do not want to change the process.

However, google will not associate this traffic back to campaign1 because the analytics code is called on entry_url.html. I want to somehow override the analytics code and tell it that I am really on the campaign1 landing page. I already set a virtual page name for all my pages for analytics by calling: urchinTracker("VIRTUAL PAGE NAME");

I tried using urchinTracker("landing_url_campaign1.html"); but it wasn't tied back to the adwords traffic.

I then tried setting up an advanced analytics filter to override the "Campaign Source" based on the "Campaign Target Url" but got nothing with that either.

Is there a way that I could try this by using the ecommerce variables. Or are there any other variables that I can set in javascript that analytics will read from? I have also tried setting the following jv vars in the page as well.
utm_campaign = "campaign1";
utm_source = "google";
utm_medium = "cpc";
utm_term = "";
utm_content = "";
but they didn't do anything either.

Has anyone else come across this problem and come up with a work around?

Thanks
usablelayout is offline   Reply With Quote