Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > Beta Test
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2004   #1
searchgirl

Google/Alexa Toolbar for Firefox Users

Hi there,

We've just released a new toolbar for search engine marketers using Mozilla Firefox, and who are therefore unable to install the Google/Alexa Toolbar. SearchStatus lets you view info from the Google and Alexa toolbars, as well as backward links from MSN, Yahoo! and Google all in one toolbar. You can download it here:

http://www.quirk.co.za/searchstatus

Any comments/opinions about it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 09-17-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Would it be hard to make it work in Moz also? Most extentions do...

Sounds like a neat idea, it will install in Moz but no bar at the bottom

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004   #3
searchgirl

For the moment it's only for Firefox...however if there is enough interest/demand in the near future we'll look at making it work for Mozilla too...
Old 09-17-2004   #4
searchgirl

Ok it's just been updated. SearchStatus can now be used by both Firefox and Mozilla users...
Old 09-17-2004   #5
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down

Very nice indeed ;-)

Can you tell me about the PR bar? - Im pretty sure you cannot get that information without the official G toolbar? How is it calculated?

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004   #6
Artyom

Artyom is on a distinguished road
I wonder too

I'd like to know how this PR bar works;-) But as long as I can see it gives accurate results so far.
Artyom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #7
searchgirl

The PR bar works using the Google PageRank checksum algorithm which has been in the public domain for some time now.
Old 09-23-2004   #8
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Do note that Google recently updated their checksum - but that this was also recently broken.

However, I tried the toolbar, but the Alexa function seemed very screwy. It spent most of yesterday deciding every site I visited was Google.co.uk - then it spent the rest of the day completely greyed out.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #9
Artyom

Artyom is on a distinguished road
Cool amazing:-)

No matter how hard you've been trying to keep up with all BIG events on web you simple can not:-) I mean as I could find out from webmasterworld.com forum the php source code was firsty realised back in june, 2004 and I didn't know about it:-)

Anyway, searchgirl, how long do you think Google will keep the current pagerank algorithm the same it's now? I've just tried to compare what IE googlebar and your pagerank metre show and it's identical! But I don't really believe it'll last long, it's not about PageRank bar (I think Google is prertty OK with it), it's about I'm sure Google do not like it's PageRank algorithm being cracked and realised to public...

PS. And the last thought - my gut feeling tells me Google advisedly let it went away.
Artyom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #10
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
It's not the actual PageRank algorithm that's been cracked - it's simply the checksum for retrieving already assigned PageRank values to specific URLs.

There are reports of the code for the prior checksum having been hacked in June - but maybe that was just a public release of the code, as I know certain developers had cracked the checksum long before that.

Anyway, Google implemented a new checksum and that has also been quickly hacked:
http://google-blog.dirson.com/post.new/0155/
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005   #11
nickleus

nickleus is on a distinguished road
searchgirl, does your toolbar report back to alexa which sites you are visiting? one of the points of the toolbar is for them to gather statistics about which sites are being visited. another point is that it adds pages to the list of pages to be archived in the waybackmachine.
nickleus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2007   #12
theChronic

theChronic is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickleus
searchgirl, does your toolbar report back to alexa which sites you are visiting? one of the points of the toolbar is for them to gather statistics about which sites are being visited. another point is that it adds pages to the list of pages to be archived in the waybackmachine.
I was wondering the same. Has anyone determined this?
theChronic is offline   Reply With Quote