Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007   #1
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Search Arbitrage Sites in the Yahoo Network

Is anyone else finding decreased conversion lately in Yahoo due to poor quality traffic from the Yahoo search network? There seems to be a ton of sites in my industry that are spamming the MSN listings with search arbitrage. How do these sites get to be part of the Yahoo search network?

Is anyone else seeing this? Is there anyway to opt out of their network or at least block some of this traffic? It seems to be killing my CTR and conversion rate.

p.s. - On a somewhat related topic, MSN paid listings are just brutal at this point. Between the AdSense only landing pages, duplicate ads and search arbitrage, I can't imagine that any user would be happy using this as their search engine.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #2
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
PPC,

I actually pulled "most" my contextual Ad's from the Yahoo Network. I still have a few Ad's running through the Yahoo Search Network, mainly trademark's and a few other high preforming ad groups. But I do keep a close eye on their performance.

On the same note, when I switched to Panamal I saw visits sky rocket, after reseach, the source was the contextual network.

Caugas
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #3
PPC

Belive me, the first thing I did when my account was migrated to Panama was to make sure content was turned off across the board. These are search ads that are displaying on Yahoo partners.
Old 03-28-2007   #4
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
PPC, this has been an ongoing problem for us, and in my perception, the garbitrage sites are running increasing numbers of ads on MSN for their garbitrage landing pages. In fact we had a bunch of keywords rejected in adCenter, and the reason for rejection was that "no ads can appear on that keyword." But when I went to live.com and searched on those keywords, all that was there was garbitrage sites, with landing pages full of Yahoo ads (including our Yahoo ads). What a load of crap.

MSN did eventually take these ads down, but the garbitrageurs just keep re-submitting them, on either the same or slightly different keywords. It's a mess.

We are not paying as much as we could be for Y traffic because of all the low-quality garbitrage sites and the high level of non-converting traffic we just from just a few poor "search" partners.

Yahoo has hinted at site exclusion on their blog: http://www.ysmblog.com/blog/2007/03/...w-job-for-one/, and I for one can't wait for that to become reality. I've got a nice list of sites in the search network that I plan on blocking the minute that goes live.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #5
PPC

Site exclusion in search for Yahoo would be excellent!

I would actually prefer seperate bids for Yahoo and their network.