Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2007   #1
belizeit

belizeit is on a distinguished road
Reciprocal link proposal, is it any good?

Hi,

I received the following in the email and was wondering if it was worth our time to investigate this and if you think it is worth our time:

-------------START---------------------
What is Link Popularity?
One of the early innovations by Google was the development of Page Rank, a numerical page ranking based on incoming links to a site. Link popularity is the process of developing incoming, outgoing, and reciprocal links for the purpose of increasing Page Rank.

Simple put, link popularity refers to the total number of links or "votes" that a search engine has found for your website. The higher your link popularity, the higher your Page Rank, the more traffic that is routed to your website. At Netkom/IdeaLab Studios we have developed two programs designed to increase your Page Rank:

STANDARD PROGRAM
With the Standard Link Program we establish reciprocal links from your website and the Central Network. This will increase the Page Rank of the Central Network significantly and increase your Website's Page Rank moderately. You will benefit from the higher traffic generated by the network. Links are discreet text links at the bottom of your website, as is customary with these types of networks.

FULL PROGRAM
With the Full Cross Link Program we establish reciprocal links from your website, the Central Network and other websites in our network. This will increase the Page Rank of the Central Network as well as your Website's Page Rank significantly. You will benefit from the higher traffic generated by the network and by your own higher rankings on the search engines.

Links are discreet on a secondary page of your website and are of related content (not competitors).
---------------END---------------------------------

It appears to me that:

1. The Central Network gets all the benefit
2. It might hurt Page Rank if Google Detects this a sSPAM

Look forward to your analysis.

Last edited by belizeit : 03-27-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Geteting rid of links
belizeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #2
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
"discreet" tells me something is not on the up and up!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #3
Xyone

Xyone is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Not a topic - just someone dropping links

How odd that you received an email from belizeit.com and your user name is belizeit?! What are the odds in that happening??

Why dont you just say here's my cheap and crappy way of getting a couple of inbound links to my site.
Xyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #4
belizeit

I changed the names in the email

Trying to avoid a flame war here.

I changed the names in the email I received. Not sure how to set this straight. I could post the original email? Just didn't want to inject names of companies into the discussion, and was only looking at whether or not this is a legitimate request, and something we shouuld be looking at.

The email was not form belizeit.com, that is my email and domain. I downloaded the graphics from the email and put them on my server so that I would not be using these peoples graphics from their site.

I will be more than happy to answer other questions as to the voracity of this post, and I understand your skepticism, and apologize for the way I did the post.

Really, was wondering what effect this would have on a website that joined this network.

P.S. I removed the links cause I have no interested in the links, only why the program is good or bad.

Last edited by belizeit : 03-27-2007 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention I was deleting links
Old 03-27-2007   #5
Xyone

Xyone is on a distinguished road
Apolagies

Ok Belzeit, i cant remember what the url's where, so il take your word for it, and sorry.

you've gotta admit though, it did look like a 'come look at my site' kinda post, and they annoy me!

Might as well try and answer your question then. IMO the search engines will not like this type of link farm. Although im not one of these that believe reciprocal linking is dead, i think this type of linking is frowned upon and also easily detected by the search engines.

Ive never tried any of these programs tho, so this only an opinion, but id stay away.

Hope this helps, and sorry bout the earlier confusion.

Xy
Xyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #6
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
To put it simply, that "Standard" package probably will cause some problems; the "Full" package will definitely blow any site out of SE indexes.

Been there, done that, got the "I've been banned" tee shirt.
jimbeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #7
belizeit

No Apologies necessary

My bad, sorry for the confusion. After rereading it did seem a little suspect. Enough on that.

Thanks for the reply. I have been searching Google for specific warnings against these schemes, but haven't located any. Even if we try it, I really see the only benefit for the owner of the network, who would receive all the links, while each member would only receive one. In other words, this is 99% good for the network and 1% for the linkers. Still it is free, so we have to look at risk. Is there a risk that membrs to the network would be penalized?

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 03-27-2007   #8
Robert_Charlton

Robert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud ofRobert_Charlton has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by belizeit
I have been searching Google for specific warnings against these schemes, but haven't located any.... Is there a risk that membrs to the network would be penalized?
This will probably glow in fluorescent colors on Google's web map.

You're responsible for whom you link to. In this case, you'd be linking into a neighborhood of unknown quality, which links (apparently indiscriminately) to sites of unknown quality whose only common interest is to artificially boost their rankings on Google.

(If you're going to try to do this, there are certainly less obvious was of going about it).

Google Webmaster Guidelines
http://www.google.com/support/webmas...y?answer=35769

Quote:
Originally Posted by Google Quality guidelines - basic principles
Don't participate in link schemes designed to increase your site's ranking or PageRank. In particular, avoid links to web spammers or "bad neighborhoods" on the web, as your own ranking may be affected adversely by those links.
Robert_Charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #9
caugas
Trance/Dance Music makes the world move faster

caugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the roughcaugas is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by beu
"discreet" tells me something is not on the up and up!

I would stay away from any linking schemes! If linking schemes worked and there were no consenquences, I might re-consider. However this is not the case. The reason why Google and other search engines pay attention to links and more so link quality is becuase the internet was create to link and interconnect for relevant and informative purposes. If you had recipical links from one site to another, and mass linking everywhere it would dilute the internets effectiveness. Just my opinion.
caugas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #10
belizeit

looking for case studies

Anyone know of case studies showing that these linking schemes don't work and actually can cause banishment on Google?

I mean a comment like "stay away from linking schemes" is easy to say, but where is the evidence that they don't work?
Old 03-28-2007   #11
cnvi

cnvi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
With the Full Cross Link Program we establish reciprocal links from your website, the Central Network and other websites in our network.
This doesn't state if editorial discretion is being maintained but lets presume the "full package" forces you to link to sites that you have not reviewed. That's full duplex link exchange and should be avoided because the search engines state in their patents that they want you to make links with editorial discretion (that means you approve or reject each link request as it comes in).

A link exchange request should be no longer than a couple of sentences.

Example:

We operate a cooking site (URL) and thought a link exchange would be useful for your recipes site (URL). Would you like to link exchange? if so reply or visit my add link form: (URL)

Anything longer than that is likely to be ignored by the majority of busy site operators who don't want to waste time reading multi-paragraph run on sentences.

Many times the length of the link exchange request is directly associated with the irrelevancy of the link exchange to begin with. A relevant link exchange request can be communicated to the other party in just a couple of well written personalized sentences.
cnvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007   #12
jimbeetle

jimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud ofjimbeetle has much to be proud of
Quote:
Anyone know of case studies showing that these linking schemes don't work and actually can cause banishment on Google?
There aren't any case studies, it's common knowledge and experience. Did you read my post above?

Quote:
Been there, done that, got the "I've been banned" tee shirt.
(Emphasis added.)

The "program" you're talking about is simply a rehash of a lot of linking schemes prevalent in the late '90s early '00s. A couple of those were much better thought out (at the time), than the one proposed to you now, and were run by very respected and knowledgeable folks.

They resulted in hundreds of sites were wiped out of Google and other SEs in one fell swoop.

These schemes are very easy to suss out. Every time I look at a site that's been banned by Yahoo all it usually takes is a quick glance at the backlinks to ascertain why: linking schemes just like the one proposed. If one can see it in a couple of minutes with the naked eye, imagine how easily the SEs can find it. As Robert Charlton said:

Quote:
This will probably glow in fluorescent colors on Google's web map.
Old 03-28-2007   #13
jimbeetle

Quote:
Many times the length of the link exchange request is directly associated with the irrelevancy of the link exchange to begin with.
He, he, he. Love it. That' got to be the link building quote of the year.
Old 03-28-2007   #14
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
That is a t-shirt quote if I ever saw one!
beu is offline   Reply With Quote