Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2007   #1
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Google Testing Yellow Part II

For a few weeks now Google has been testing yellow ad backgrounds for ppc. The yellow ads went away for about 10 days but now they seem to have come back and just in time for pollen season!

It kinda makes you wonder if there is a connection... ok maybe not.

Either way here is a shot:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/beusseryatlanta/
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007   #2
ExposureTim
TimDineen

ExposureTim will become famous soon enough
I've been seeing plenty of yellow.

I think it'll stick as it "highlights" the ads less and is easier on the eyes than the blue.

And it'll turn into good $$ for Google - that can't be evil could it?
ExposureTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #3
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Yup, there has been several reports in the past month about Google testing yellow for the top sponsored results.

more at:
http://www.jensense.com/archives/200...adwords_3.html
http://www.seroundtable.com/archives/012813.html
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #4
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExposureTim
I've been seeing plenty of yellow.

I think it'll stick as it "highlights" the ads less and is easier on the eyes than the blue.

And it'll turn into good $$ for Google - that can't be evil could it?
Hmmm... I wonder if "geo" has anything to do with the yellow ads, views here in Atlanta, GA USA have been few and far between.
Old 03-27-2007   #5
ExposureTim
TimDineen

I started seeing yellow on Friday here. I haven't seen blue since (on this same PC). All search results are yellow now.

Note: On my work PC I still see blue, so I don't think it's geo -related.
Old 03-27-2007   #6
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExposureTim
I started seeing yellow on Friday here. I haven't seen blue since (on this same PC). All search results are yellow now.

Note: On my work PC I still see blue, so I don't think it's geo -related.
Still seeing blue in Manhattan
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007   #7
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
Still seeing blue in Manhattan
As you know, there is a good chance Aussie's results are also from Atlanta via Baltimore. I wonder what percentage of West Coast ads are yellow? Interesting....
Old 04-02-2007   #8
psurplus

psurplus is on a distinguished road
Im on the west coast and I have not seen any yellow backgrounds to my knowledge. Unless my job is that boring (it really isnt) I have only noticed the blue for both IE7 and Firefox.
psurplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007   #9
ExposureTim
TimDineen

I think they just randomly distribute these tests and continue to do so based on cookie. I've (still) been seeing the test yellow consistently 100% of the time since the first time 1+1/2 weeks ago.

It's not geo- or server- based - I assume this because otherwise I'd also see it in IE too or over at the work PC. I see it only in Firefox (not IE) thus I believe I just got lucky and randomly picked up the yellow-tester cookie.
Old 04-02-2007   #10
ExposureTim
TimDineen

Does anyone need to see a screenshot? I have seen several so I haven't bothered posting any yet. I can do so if you want to see.
Old 04-03-2007   #11
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
No mellow yellow

I'm in New York and I see blue. If I "travel" to Chicago to do a search (using the URL below) I still see blue. Guess I could edit the URL to "travel" to other places in search of the elusive yellow
http://www.google.com/search?q=ivf&gr=US-IL&gcs=Chicago
abbottsys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2007   #12
beu

Quote:
Originally Posted by abbottsys
I'm in New York and I see blue. If I "travel" to Chicago to do a search (using the URL below) I still see blue. Guess I could edit the URL to "travel" to other places in search of the elusive yellow
http://www.google.com/search?q=ivf&gr=US-IL&gcs=Chicago
No matter the URL, chances are you are hitting the same DC.
Old 04-05-2007   #13
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

abbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud ofabbottsys has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by beu
No matter the URL, chances are you are hitting the same DC.
Quite possible. So you think the DCs are "color coded"? That should be a pretty easy thing to test.
Old 04-05-2007   #14
webkidsan

webkidsan is on a distinguished road
I am sure you know all about it ...

First, we thought it was time for a new look: after months of testing, we decided to switch the background color of the top ads from blue to yellow.

Second, we've modified what counts as a click in this box to be consistent with what counts as a click for the ads on the right hand side. Instead of clicking anywhere in the box, users now need to click on the link in the top line of an ad in order to be taken to an advertiser's site.
webkidsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007   #15
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
I am sure you know all about it ...

First, we thought it was time for a new look: after months of testing, we decided to switch the background color of the top ads from blue to yellow.

Second, we've modified what counts as a click in this box to be consistent with what counts as a click for the ads on the right hand side. Instead of clicking anywhere in the box, users now need to click on the link in the top line of an ad in order to be taken to an advertiser's site.
Looks as if webkidsan is quoting the Inside AdWords blog, which posted about these changes today.

Thanks for that!

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007   #16
abbottsys
Oversees AdWords

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
Looks as if webkidsan is quoting the Inside AdWords blog, which posted about these changes today...
Yes, I saw that, and it's now fully deployed. Even when I can do a London search from New York I see yellow
http://www.google.com/search?q=ferti...ENG&gcs=London
Old 04-09-2007   #17
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I saw pink a few minutes ago.... or maybe my colors are off... joking... I am seeing pink
Old 04-09-2007   #18
Brent

Brent is on a distinguished road
Seems like they're still testing.

I'm getting Yellow on my ads (in Melbourne, Australia).

No pink yet.

It'll be interesting to see if Yahoo follows this time.

Check out this post by Matt Cutts on the topic:
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ie7-promo-page/
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007   #19
beu

explanation maybe?

A colleague just passed this along to me as the Official Google explanation:

Promoted Ads Color and Clickability Changes

Over the past few years, the sponsored links above the search results have been displayed in a box with a blue background that a user can click on in order to reach an advertiser's landing page. We've now made two changes to the way that we display these ads to improve the experience of our users and advertisers.

1) The background color has changed from blue to yellow

2) Users will need to click the link in the top line of the ad in order to go to the advertiser's website.

Together, these changes help decrease the likelihood that a user will unintentionally click on an ad, while making our highest quality ads more visible.

Seems like a good idea for both users and advertisers "highlighted ads" if you will? Any thoughts? Is yellow the new blue?
Old 04-13-2007   #20
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by beu
A colleague just passed this along to me as the Official Google explanation:

Promoted Ads Color and Clickability Changes

Over the past few years, the sponsored links above the search results have been displayed in a box with a blue background that a user can click on in order to reach an advertiser's landing page. We've now made two changes to the way that we display these ads to improve the experience of our users and advertisers.

1) The background color has changed from blue to yellow

2) Users will need to click the link in the top line of the ad in order to go to the advertiser's website.

Together, these changes help decrease the likelihood that a user will unintentionally click on an ad, while making our highest quality ads more visible.

Seems like a good idea for both users and advertisers "highlighted ads" if you will? Any thoughts? Is yellow the new blue?
good grab.... nice to see them testing ways to improve our experience or help our bottomline.... then maybe it is good for them too...