Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > SEM Related Organizations & Events
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2007   #1
DP76248

DP76248 is on a distinguished road
Help me make the most of SES NY 2007

Hello, all.

First, I would just like to briefly thank every person who actively participates in this forum. I have been lurking here for quite some time and I have learned a lot thanks to the generous people here who share their time.

Next month's SES in New York will be the first conference I have ever attended related to SEO/SEM/Web Development. I am looking forward to being totally inundated with valuable information!

I am a small business owner who wears MANY, MANY hats. Years ago I constructed our e-commerce website and I have been maintaining it ever since. However, over the years as we have grown, I have been unable to give our website the attention it deserves since I've been so busy running day to day operations (payroll, ap, purchasing, etc...) As a result, our website is long overdue for a complete overhaul. We will most likely be seeking professional services for all new graphics, web design and e-commerce development, seo, ppc consulting, analytics, the whole nine yards...

I am not trying to learn how to do all of these things on my own, I just want to be brought up to speed with what is going on with these respective technologies. I want to ensure that I am making an informed decision when we choose who to do business with for this website re-design project.

My question is this:

When there are multiple sessions taking place concurrently that I would like to attend, am I able to request all of the documentation that is handed out to those who attend for the sessions that I choose not to attend? I called Incisive's registration dept by phone, but they simply stated that no downloads are available, and I'd just have to ask (and hope) in person if they'd be willing to give me this documentation.

Is this true?

I know this is a common problem, in particular for first time attendees. There are several conflicts within the different tracks where I wish I could be in more than one place at a time. I read other threads that mentioned that RustyBrick has some pretty comprehensive coverage of many sessions at SES events. I looked through the archives at the seroundtable blog to see how well they covered the Chicago event and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of work they put into getting all this info out to others. I'm just curious if I could request the actual materials and/or powerpoint presentations for the sessions? If I pay for a platinum passport, it seems I should be entitled to this information.

Sorry the post is so long, just trying to make my questions clear.

Thanks,

Derek
DP76248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #2
ExposureTim
TimDineen

ExposureTim will become famous soon enough
Welcome.

I'll be brief, but yes... you get a copy of all documentation and access to download anything that isn't pre-printed from all sessions.

It's a common problem for small shops or in-house solo SEOs/SEMs that we can't be in more than one place at a time. You'll just have to try to pick what can most affect your business immediately - or try to pick sessions where there isn't a wealth of information available elsewhere, like here on this website, already.

Myself, I've already selected which sessions I'd like to attend (often more than one at a time) and I'll be comparing that list to the sessions that the folks at SEroundtable.com will be covering. They'll be doing "live" blogging of many sessions so reading their material later, if they cover a particular session, is better than missing it completely.

You'll learn a ton - and enjoy it too!
ExposureTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007   #3
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Derek,

Welcome!

All platinum passport holders are given a special passcode that is normally located in the front of the very comprehensive book in your conference handout bag which gives you access to about 85 - 90% of the speaker's PowerPoint presentations (for example - Google as a rule never includes theirs so if you see something to note during one of their presentations, jot it down, also if you ask them, they will NOT email you a presentation as this is against their policy). There are smaller handounts which make choosing session classes easier with an 'At a Glance' guide as well as speaker bios and exhibitor information.

The main conference guide is the really thick one and in here along with the passcode, you may find copies of handouts referenced during the session, copies of the PowerPoints and places to take notes, but again, being a longtime speaker myself, I can attest to the fact that what is in the book is not always what is in the speaker's final draft of PowerPoint as you will easily see if you happen to pass by the Speaker's ready room, and most of us are busy banging away on our presentations before our sessions, a lot of us never make the cuttoff date to have our presentations in the book, but I do know that conference management makes a good effort to save the most up to date version that is loaded on the conference laptops to include in the online portfolio of presentations.

RustyBrick gives some great coverage of the event over at Search Engine Roundtable and I'm sure will also be covered and commented on over at SearchEngineLand. Some really great coverage will also be done by the folks over at SEOMoz and a lot of our own forum moderators will be providing coverage here as well so you will be able to find multiple viewpoints and interpretations of the various sessions. Make sure you check back here to find the tags to look for - most likely it will be something like 'SESNY2007' that most posts will be labelled with so that you will be able to search and find a lot of additional coverage.

I'm in charge of the party schedule so be sure to look me up - just ask anyone passing by if they've seen me, I pretty much know most of the conference attendees by now.

Good luck and enjoy the conference!

Joe

Last edited by Joseph Morin : 03-21-2007 at 09:08 PM.
Joseph Morin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #4
DP76248

Thanks guys!

That is the answer I was hoping for. How does the download work? Are the downloads available on the searchenginestrategies website after the conference or do I need to bring a laptop to download them in person?

Derek
Old 03-22-2007   #5
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
They're on the web site. You just need the passcode and you can download them when you get back to the office after the show. It usually takes a couple days to get them on there, so they're not available during the show.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #6
DP76248

Thanks Melissa.
Old 03-22-2007   #7
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough
. . .

What about all us who can't make it
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #8
ExposureTim
TimDineen

ExposureTim will become famous soon enough
Sorry you can't make it Ryan... but that doesn't stop you from buying a pass and getting the downloads?

I've always felt that these conferences should video record the sessions and sell the tapes. I'd know I'd pay nearly full price to have access to all of the videos...

And for those who do attend it'd be great as we'd be able to later view important sessions we couldn't physically be at.

Seriously, I'd pay full price for the knowledge, but flying across country and staying in a hotel for a week (dollars that don't go to the conference planners anyway) is too time consuming and costly for many to do more than once per year (or longer, or ever).

Flying to Seattle for a two-day conference in June?? I just can't justify losing all that travel time, flight expense, lost productivity etc. But I'll by those videos!

Please? I hope the right people are listening.
ExposureTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007   #9
Joseph Morin

Joseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of lightJoseph Morin is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, I can't even begin to explain how much you are missing out on all of the 'real content' given out during social circles at the bar or mingling around the conference. I've actually incorporated conferences and networking all over the globe as part of my career because the benefit has been so high.

I attended 18 conferences last year and they more than paid for themselves in terms of what I got out of them and to be honest, with the exception of a few sessions - the only sessions I really went to were the ones I spoke at.
Old 03-23-2007   #10
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Morin
I attended 18 conferences last year
I am tired just reading that statement!

Seriously, you are right, the networking is one of the most valuable parts of the conferences, and it can't be bought on tape. But the travel can get costly - economically, physically, and mentally.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007   #11
Joseph Morin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
But the travel can get costly - economically, physically, and mentally.

Melissa
Jeez - tell me about it! and those trips don't include the additional normal run of the mill travel to meet clients or attend meetings etc.!

Still - I have found that the benefits of the conference circuit truly outweighs the cost. (stated while my overnight bag is still unpacked from my return from a conference on Monday and trying to juggle my calendar for 2 trips planned next week)

Old 03-23-2007   #12
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough
. . .

18? Ok, I am now officially jealous

Tim, like your video idea, I would second that for sure.
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote