Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Member's Lounge > Beta Test
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2004   #1
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
New Search Engine Watch Blog

We've opened up a new blog for Search Engine Watch. You can check it out here. Comments welcomed!
dannysullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004   #2
Nick W

Nick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the roughNick W is a jewel in the rough
Funny url there Danny, you couldnt install it in the root dir?

Good luck with it!

Nick
Nick W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004   #3
I, Brian
Whitehat on...Whitehat off...Whitehat on...Whitehat off...

I, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of lightI, Brian is a glorious beacon of light
Ah, so you are trying to compete with Aaron's SEObook.com blog?

Looks interesting - I've actually started reading a few SEO-related blogs on a regular basis. Will keep it book-marked.
I, Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004   #4
dannysullivan
Editor, SearchEngineLand.com (Info, Great Columns & Daily Recap Of Search News!)

dannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud ofdannysullivan has much to be proud of
Right now, the blog is running on a separate server from searchenginewatch.com itself. It will be moved over down the line, so having the /blog/ will make more sense. In particular, they need to be in the same place so the category archives for our paid members will write into the proper location. Or at least, that's the plan!

As for the other blogs like Aaron's, the more the merrier. That's why we run a blog roll. I read a ton of different search blogs, and it's interesting that while sometimes the same topic may be on all of them, it's more often that they all have many posts that don't overlap at all.
Old 09-17-2004   #5
pleeker
www.SmallBusinessSEM.com

pleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the roughpleeker is a jewel in the rough
Good stuff Danny / Chris / Elisabeth / Gary / et al. Look forward to reading it, nice addition to the SEW stable.
pleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #6
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>Comments welcomed!

I like it, I really do! But I have to admit that in your place I'd have a hard time deciding what goes into the blog and what goes into the newsletters that go out. Blogs do have a different feel, tone and style usually, though, so I imagine one will just supplant the other with different tone and perspective.

>>Ah, so you are trying to compete with Aaron's SEObook.com blog?

Nooooo, he is trying to compete with marciahoo.com which is also in beta.

Last edited by Marcia : 09-19-2004 at 10:24 PM.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004   #7
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
I like the content, makes for great reading! I wish it looked more like a blog site. It's almost hard to differentiate between the regular web site and the blog site.
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #8
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
>>I wish it looked more like a blog site. It's almost hard to differentiate between the regular web site and the blog site.

Sometimes I think a lot of blog sites look too much like cookie-cutter blog sites, like they're all created from the same CSS template.

Do you think a blog that's part of a bigger site should look "different" from the rest of the site, or should it look like the rest of the site does? How about the branding issue?
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #9
seobook
I'm blogging this

seobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to allseobook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
Ah, so you are trying to compete with Aaron's SEObook.com blog?
sounds like a plug...oh wait, its for me. great remark
Quote:
Originally Posted by I, Brian
Looks interesting - I've actually started reading a few SEO-related blogs on a regular basis. Will keep it book-marked.
Gary finds tons of news and regularly published it into the forums in a blog like style. couple that with other breaking news stories that Danny and the rest of the crew covers and a blog is an obvious good call
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia
Nooooo, he is trying to compete with marciahoo.com which is also in beta.
fun logo on that site
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero
I like the content, makes for great reading! I wish it looked more like a blog site. It's almost hard to differentiate between the regular web site and the blog site.
blog software is just a (usually simple) content management system. this site has a powerful brand and I can not see any reason why they would want to drastically change the layout and whatnot.
Old 09-20-2004   #10
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by seobook
Gary finds tons of news and regularly published it into the forums in a blog like style. couple that with other breaking news stories that Danny and the rest of the crew covers and a blog is an obvious good call
Yea, you'll see much more of Gary's finds over there from now on, since some of them may fit better in the blog/headline format anyway.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #11
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
Yea, this is a great idea. Many of Gary's posts here were very excellent news related items. But after reading them, I was like - hmmm...wow that is interesting news. But I had no comment. So many of those posts fit well in a blog setting, as opposed to a forum setting. Great work Gary and all those at SEW - awesome resource!
rustybrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #12
rustybrick

rustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud ofrustybrick has much to be proud of
May I ask, why no commenting at the blog? Was this addressed?

Danny, I know your an avid reader of Jeremy's blog, where he once posted an entry named Jonathon Schwartz: One Way Blogger.

Just asking, don't really care either way - but I am just curious if this is temporary or what?
Old 09-20-2004   #13
hiero
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score? --Vince Lombardi

hiero is on a distinguished road
Quote:
>>
Sometimes I think a lot of blog sites look too much like cookie-cutter blog sites, like they're all created from the same CSS template.
Agreed
Quote:
>>
Do you think a blog that's part of a bigger site should look "different" from the rest of the site, or should it look like the rest of the site does?
Yep, and I don't think that SEW needs to go that far from it's present design, but to differentiate to make it known that you're reading a blog in my opinion would be better.

Quote:
>>
How about the branding issue?
Again. it doesn't need a totally new look but differentiate from the present look slightly. Why not create a brand within a brand?

Last edited by hiero : 09-20-2004 at 12:18 PM.
hiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004   #14
dannysullivan

Quote:
May I ask, why no commenting at the blog? Was this addressed?
Yes, it's in the Welcome post. Basically, we've got the forums. The forums seem the right place for comments to go. For one thing, we know comments can be prone to spam. So sending people to the forums means we only have to watch one place for comment spam, rather than two.

More important, sending people to comment in the forums helps ensure the discussion, while kicked off perhaps by a blog comment, doesn't only stay limited to blog readers. Others in the forums can also discuss the issue.

Also, many times we'll no doubt blog stuff already being discussed. So, trying to avoid duplication. In fact, if you look at a number of things put out there today, I've actually called out places where the topic is being discussed already.

I am planning to add a "How Can I Comment" page to better explain this, because I know some blog readers expect comments to be offered (though not every blog does do this, of course). Hope to get that going later this week.

Quote:
Yep, and I don't think that SEW needs to go that far from it's present design, but to differentiate to make it known that your reading a blog in my opinion would be better.
I did want to keep the look similar to the rest of the site to help avoid confusing people. What we might do is bring in the calendar style of navigating posts that's very common, to better help say "Blog!" I had that in there originally but left it out to keep things simple for the launch. But other blog features, such as trackbacks and permalinks, I hope will help say this message to people.
Old 09-21-2004   #15
orion

orion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to beholdorion is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

Great idea!

Orion
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #16
strategicrankings
Seolid.com - Ranking Websites First - since 1999

strategicrankings will become famous soon enough
SEW blog

Why isn't there a link to the SEW blog in the left hand menu? Or am i not seeing it?

didn't even find the link in the site map.

Last edited by strategicrankings : 09-23-2004 at 02:56 AM.
strategicrankings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004   #17
dannysullivan

I need to finish off one last thing to the navigation links you see on the blog, hopefully later today or tomorrow. Once that's done, then you'll see the new nav shortly follow to the forums and the SEW site itself.
Old 09-28-2004   #18
DaveN

DaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to allDaveN is a name known to all
is there any where on the internet that spammers can find a whitelist of bloggs

DaveN
DaveN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004   #19
rustybrick

With MT blogs, you can see if they are using MT Blacklist by just adding to the main blog URL /blacklist.txt.

If they don't have it and comments are allowed, its pretty much a free for all.

Danny, I like the new side navigation bar on the main SEW site.