Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google Web Search
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2007   #1
Elisabeth

Elisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to beholdElisabeth is a splendid one to behold
Google's Site: Command Broken

Apparently "site:domain.com" is dratically underreporting results for several large sites, including SEW, and marking them as pages within the "Supplemental index" - when they are not.

While google is currently working on fixing the site: command, we're currently trying to figure out how widespread the problem is.
Elisabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #2
KevinSource

KevinSource is on a distinguished road
I am aware of at least one site in my niche industry that is experiencing the same problem. While most pages are showing supplemental using the "site:" command, the pages are still ranking for relevant search terms. This site, however, is not nearly as large as SEW. So, I'm not convinced it is specific to very large sites.

To clarify, the number of pages being displayed using the "site:" command is limited to 260, while there are actually far more, thousands of pages indexed

Last edited by KevinSource : 03-02-2007 at 10:07 PM. Reason: additon to post
KevinSource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #3
natasha499

natasha499 is on a distinguished road
Google is realy acting weird..

I have found that google is dropping pages dramatically.. This is reflected in Traffic and site: reporting. Wish I knew what was going on. Pages are just being dropped , what were doing fine before.

Pages that have a high PR and have Good inbound links are being dropped.
Pages that do not have traffic and no inbound links are still in the search engine.

Last edited by natasha499 : 03-05-2007 at 05:24 PM.
natasha499 is offline   Reply With Quote