Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2007   #1
RichardTwickenham

RichardTwickenham is on a distinguished road
Optimising each page for different keywords

I am about to set up a new website which will be offering several quite different products and services all targeted at small businesses, and I hope the purchasers of one service will be tempted to buy some of the other services on offer. It seems to me that I will need to optimise the individual pages of the web site for the key words that are appropriate for the product or service on that particular page, but when I spoke with a website designer about this, she said that this would not work, and it was better to optimise the whole site for the same keywords. I am a little doubtful if this approach would work either, as there would be too many keywords I would be trying to target.

I would really appreciate some guidance on this.

RichardTwickenham
RichardTwickenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #2
Karri
Karri

Karri is on a distinguished road
You're right and she's wrong. Dead wrong

Every page of your site should, as you said, be optimized according to its unique content shooting for about 2-3 key phrases per page. If you were to optimize the entire site all for the same handful of phrases you would be missing out on all kids of opportunities to rank for more specific (and higher converting) phrases relevant to each product/service you offer.

Karri
Karri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007   #3
dedmond29

dedmond29 is on a distinguished road
If you are using a formal project outline for the website design/development - make sure to list "independent management of HTML titles, Meta data and headings" as a requirement. A lot of CMS systems and web design/dev projects for e-commerce sites automatically pull these values from a specific record in the system, or if it's purely a dynamic site, use a universal template for the bulk of the material outside of the "main content" section of the site. As a result, HTML Titles and Meta information is usually "programmed in" to the project.

If you can't get independent control of these properties, establish an agreed upon process for how the titles are generated (based on product info, database values etc). Let me know if this makes sense and hope it helps.
dedmond29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #4
RichardTwickenham

You have put my mind at rest

Karri,

Thanks very much for setting the record straight. I certainly won't be choosing that web developer.

Also thanks to dedmond29 for the tip. I am currently writing the design specification, and I wouldn't have thought about specifying control of these page elements unless you had mentioned it. I could imagine it would be very dificult to get back control of them if the site after the site had been written.

RichardTwickenham
Old 03-02-2007   #5
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough
not difficult

If you have the budget you could easily get an seo type module developed on the free lance networks. This will allow you or whoever is running the site to cotrol all important on page elements easily.

I have seen these modules sell for less that $200 so don't be under the illusion that this type of module is difficult or expensive. Just bear this in mind
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #6
egain

egain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karri
You're right and she's wrong. Dead wrong

Every page of your site should, as you said, be optimized according to its unique content shooting for about 2-3 key phrases per page. If you were to optimize the entire site all for the same handful of phrases you would be missing out on all kids of opportunities to rank for more specific (and higher converting) phrases relevant to each product/service you offer.

Karri
Not sure I completely agree with that. Yes optimised the site for a wide range of keywords I agree- however it is possible to do this whilst still keeping a "theme" going for core keyphrases (ie the handful)
egain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007   #7
ctab

ctab is on a distinguished road
Each Page

Yes optimise each page - HTML or XHTML - long tailed URL's - but it is not just about that. It's directing the search term to the correct landing page that really matters. What I do is submit to the Directories - use the correct section of those Directories and list the actual page url that I want to be found -or submit the precise search term (text) into those Directories or blogs and the rest seems to follow naturally.
ctab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007   #8
infonote

infonote is on a distinguished road
You have to optimize everything to be ahead of your competitors.

A shop does not optimize only one shelf but all of them. Operations management optimizises the layout in the "offline" world.
infonote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2007   #9
egain

egain is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by infonote
You have to optimize everything to be ahead of your competitors.

A shop does not optimize only one shelf but all of them. Operations management optimizises the layout in the "offline" world.
Wouldnt agree with that analogy. At the end of the day, if you advertise in a newspaper or get a four page spread, you dont advertise all your products.

It should be more about working towards increasing ROI and focussing optimisation on phrases as a result

Last edited by egain : 03-04-2007 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Cut short in my prime ... continuation thereof
egain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #10
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Each page should have its own handful of keywords... even if they are only subtlely different
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007   #11
ctab

How many are you saying - because in my book twice in tags.
Old 03-05-2007   #12
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

. . .

Its not a matter of how many keywords should I have. Optimise your pages for your users
Old 03-05-2007   #13
ctab

Agreed - I was more concerned that by saying that you could make subtle changes that he would be keyword stuffing.
You can have hundreds of different keywords that find your site. Just do not over use them in your keyword tags. Twice is plenty.
Old 03-05-2007   #14
BuckfastMonk

Old 03-05-2007   #15
RichardTwickenham

Thanks everyone for your advice. From reading the posts the general consensus seems to be:

Each page should be optimised separately

If there are some terms which are applicable to the whole site then sprinkle them throughout the site

Don't over-do any keywords - keep the number down to sensible numbers (no keyword stuffing)

Submit the actual page(s) to the directories (I presume this is refering to Yahoo's directory or similar) along with the appropriate keywords
Old 03-05-2007   #16
BuckfastMonk

. . .

Quote:
Each page should be optimised separately
Yes, SE's rank web pages, not web sites

Quote:
If there are some terms which are applicable to the whole site then sprinkle them throughout the site
Only if it is relevant

Quote:
Don't over-do any keywords - keep the number down to sensible numbers (no keyword stuffing)
Simply write for your users. Think of how an article appears in a newspaper!

Quote:
Submit the actual page(s) to the directories (I presume this is refering to Yahoo's directory or similar) along with the appropriate keywords
There are thousands of directories out there, alot of them are pure garbage. Here is a great post aaron wall on web directories