Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2007   #1
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Google to Share Content Network URLs

From the New York Times and JenSense, via Search Engine Land:

http://searchengineland.com/070226-093349.php

It's about time. This is huge news for those of us already in the content network, and those who opted out due to lack of control. Congrats to Google on being ahead of the pack yet again.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #2
Toure
The PPCBlogger

Toure has a spectacular aura aboutToure has a spectacular aura about
WA-HEY!!

Finally. Yahoo next?!
Toure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #3
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Make no doubt about it, this is a watershed event in SEM.

Many of us have been waiting for this news for nearly two years. Oddly I have not seen or heard the cry from many marketing professionals asking for this change.

This seemingly simple change has two very large ramifications:

#1 Like MP3 put music in the control of the consumer, Google has put the long tail in control of the advertiser and there will be NO turning back. Other engines MUST follow or fade away.

#2 Click Fraud was never the main issue in my view. Poor quality, or Junk Clicks were. Finally truly good content sites will be rewarded with our advertising dollars and junk click farms will be punished.

There are just a ton of other side effects that will have lasting impact on the way advertisers do business with the SE's.

Sebastian dare I summon thou a second time in two years? Come out of the shadows.. or have you fallen to the garbitrage dark side?

Peer reviewed advertising networks HERE WE COME!

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel66
From the New York Times and JenSense, via Search Engine Land:

http://searchengineland.com/070226-093349.php

It's about time. This is huge news for those of us already in the content network, and those who opted out due to lack of control. Congrats to Google on being ahead of the pack yet again.

Melissa
Guess our article on it just missed your eye: http://blog.searchenginewatch.com/blog/070226-111057

AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #5
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
I think you and I were writing at the same time, Frank! I meant to come back and edit my post but I guess I never did. Too busy imagining all the garbitrage sites I can exclude from Adwords...

Melissa
Old 02-27-2007   #6
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Quote:
I think you and I were writing at the same time, Frank! I meant to come back and edit my post but I guess I never did. Too busy imagining all the garbitrage sites I can exclude from Adwords...

Melissa
Not a problem... see you in NYC for SES?
Old 02-27-2007   #7
Mel66

No, unfortunately -- I'll be in sunny FL on vacation that week.

I'll be at SMX, and hopefully SES San Jose.

Melissa
Old 02-27-2007   #8
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
No, unfortunately -- I'll be in sunny FL on vacation that week.

I'll be at SMX, and hopefully SES San Jose.

Melissa
SMX NYC or Seattle.... Danny needs to do these on weekends and I would go to all of them....
Old 02-27-2007   #9
Mel66

Seattle. Sorry, I keep forgetting there are multiple SMX's!

I am glad they're during the week. A show in Detroit would be cool though.

Melissa
Old 02-27-2007   #10
Jeff Martin

Jeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really niceJeff Martin is just really nice
A new degree of transparency is much welcome. Finally a way for advertisers to have more control over their content network advertising through the Adwords console. Let's hope it doesnt take too long to roll it out and for it to have an effective means to spot MFA and other sites that burn through marketing capital and a logical means to drop them from the campaigns.
Old 02-27-2007   #11
flyingrose
flyingrose

flyingrose has a spectacular aura aboutflyingrose has a spectacular aura aboutflyingrose has a spectacular aura about
Great...fix content and replace it with junk search traffic?

I'm trying really hard not to be a cynic. Honest I am. Google finally decides to share a list of their content partners right after they start killing us with junk traffic on search? I influence decisions in hundreds of Google Adwords accounts and every one of them is opted out of the content network because of bad traffic and negative ROIs.

Unless Google allows us to opt out of the junk traffic they're now showing search ads on almost all of those Google Adwords accounts will soon also be opted out of the Google search partner network. That is a VERY painful decision none of us wants to make. We do not want to give up the quality search partner traffic. We do not want to cut traffic, clicks, and sales that deeply. The current risk of enormous spending spikes caused by this junk traffic plus expanded broad match is simply too high.

Please, Google, give us a break here! We love our PPC ads with you. Our clients love the business you drive. We want to spend MORE with you but for traffic that is profitable. Businesses simply can NOT afford to pay for traffic that isn't self-supporting.
flyingrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007   #12
AussieWebmaster

Interesting.... we get great conversion from the content network... but it took us some time and a lot of ab testing with keywords/ads and bids.

The search partners have been a little wacky lately and this will save us the expense of going through it all again.