Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2007   #1
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
Anybody have an extra $10?

It looks like Google has just determined that $10 CPC's are the new baseline for advertising on Adwords.

Is this a Glitch AWR? Cause I think just about every Adwords advertiser is gong back re-evaluating Yahoo and MSN. Suddenly all their click fraud doesnt look so bad.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #2
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
You beat me to it Discovery.

We are getting totally hammered by this - over 300 of our keywords now have a $10 minimum bid. This is more than a 10-fold increase over what we were paying before. And these are our top keywords - both in clicks and conversions. It's killing us. There's no way we can pay $10 per click on a product with an average sale of $25.

We came through the last QS update relatively unscathed, so this really makes no sense to me.

I really hope this is just a glitch. I can't understand why keywords that were getting good CTRs and conversions a day or two ago have now been deemed Low Quality.

At least it's not just me. I was beginning to take it personally.

Who else is being asked to pony up the big bucks?

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #3
wasatch27

wasatch27 is on a distinguished road
So far I've seen no changes in our accounts.
wasatch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #4
wes

wes is on a distinguished road
It is happening to one of our large accounts as we type...30 min ago it had 285 keywords "inactive for search" - now there are 313 (and counting)
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #5
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Wow, this is not good news. How do I run a report to see all terms we have that are not displaying due to high minimum bids?
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #6
wes

wes is on a distinguished road
Use your Tools in the Campaign Management tab, Advanced Search and Editing, Find and Edit Keywords, then uncheck the boxes for active and paused and run the search on all campaigns.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #7
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
scooped the scooper - sorry Mel.

It has affected our TOP keyword terms. Ones that have very nice CTR and great conversions. Basically these terms are what helped offset some of the other expensive terms or terms that had lower conversions. If we take these top producing terms out of the equation then you can kiss the financial feasibility of adwords goodbye.

Discovery
Old 02-16-2007   #8
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
I am seeing this on (at least) one of my campaigns. Just talked to a rep at Google who told me that he would look into this and get back to me. Also, I could tell that this was the first he had heard of anything like this today.
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #9
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Just returning my desk for a few moments between a bunch of scheduled meetings which continue into the afternoon - and have not yet had time to fully absorb this thread.

Just wanted to jump in, though, and say that what is occurring for some of you is not related to next week's announced Quality Score updates - and is being looked into as a priority.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #10
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
A quick update to my post above.

Here's the message I received when I pinged the tech folks, which basically confirms that what some of you are seeing is a tech issue that will be addressed as quickly as possible.

Quote:
Thanks for all of the reports. This is a technical issue - we've now identified the problem and expect to have this resolved soon. Please note that this is unrelated to the Quality Score update that we plan to release next week.
So, I hope you'll accept my apology for the upset this has caused - but please don't mistake this for the Quality Score update to come.

AWR
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007   #11
Mel66

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC
How do I run a report to see all terms we have that are not displaying due to high minimum bids?
FYI, you can also run a Keyword Report from the Reports tab. Click on "Filter Your Results" and use the drop down menus to select keyword status "inactive for search." That will give you a report that you can view in the interface, or export to Excel. Using this great feature I was able to quickly discover that we had 300+ KWs with $10 minimums...

I am glad this is a technical glitch, but boy are we getting killed today. The sooner this is fixed, the better. I'm just glad our CEO hasn't noticed - yet...

Melissa
Old 02-16-2007   #12
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

This is a crusher.

All our top terms have been disabled. This just goes to show you have to be diversified. You cant just play on Google. We're leaning hard on other sources, but we didnt figure out what was going on until too late in the morning to save the day. Our clients are PO'd and we have a loss for the day.

This has got to be pretty wide spread as I have fielded over 12 phone calls this morning from past and current clients asking if I knew what was going on. They are all in different industries, different locations and have a variety of spend levels.

I can only be thankful that the CPC increase was a silly amount otherwise I may have upped many bids and deleted a ton of keywords. I wonder just how many people did raise bids and delete keywords...

That will have an impact on everyones ranking over the next few days some for better some for worse.

I sure hope this is corrected today or it may be a long weekend.

Discovery
Old 02-16-2007   #13
limoshawn

limoshawn is on a distinguished road
we did delete

We started deleting the inactive keywords early, spent most of the evening re-submitting, most are back up but what a long day.
The worst of it is that there is no suitable alternative to Google.
limoshawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007   #14
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

We are hanging in Limbo here AWR.

over 3000 top performing keyword terms moved up to $10. min bids. No word about what why or how. It's been over 24 hours…a lifetime of internet sales.

How many of your customers are losing big time? Content partners must be going wild with all the people who raised bids in a desperate attempt to gain traffic on their top keywords.

Lets put this into perspective. How would Google's board like to lose all profits for a day and have no indication if tomorrow will be any better?

This is a disaster

Discovery
Old 02-17-2007   #15
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Some more info:

Google adwords blog Feb 14th 2007:
Quote:
Now, Avichal from the Ads Quality team, has an update on upcoming changes to the system.....
"snipped junk on how to improve quality score"
As a result of this update, you may notice that the minimum bids increase for some of your keywords and decrease for others. To better understand the impact of this change, we suggest that you implement the Quality Score column. This will allow you to better monitor whether your minimum bids increase or decrease based on our changes. If you find that the minimum bids for any of your keywords increase, making your keyword inactive for search, please consider optimizing your campaign instead of raising your maximum CPC to the minimum bid. We recommend changes such as choosing a keyword that is more specific to the product or service that you offer or editing your ad text to make it more relevant to the keyword before you simply raise your minimum bid. By improving your quality we hope to provide the highest quality ads to our users while also providing you with the highest quality leads to maintain great ROI.
Now they do say that the Q score update is next week and that this $10 bid issue has nothing to do with the update. However, there is not one post about this "technical glitch" on the adwords blog. No explaination nothing. Why have they put this one under wraps? I thought that the blog was the place to go to find critical info about whats happening on Adwords?

SEL has some comments and links to the issue

Will google be refunding the spike in ad spend for many advertisers?
Old 02-17-2007   #16
shilly
SMM

shilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the roughshilly is a jewel in the rough
A comment on TheSEMzone also suggests it is temporary, but I am not 100% sure. In addition to the solutions already posted, I noticed ANY deviations from the keyword to the adtext effects the min cpc dramatically. Keywords with apostrophe's, plurals, misspellings, etc... you are going to have to pay more for if they are not exactly written like that in your ad.
shilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007   #17
Mel66

Well, now I'm really sorry I checked the forum on a Sunday - my day is ruined! I figured (hoped?) the glitch would have been fixed sometime Friday and I'd read good news here. Now it appears that we've lost at least 2 days of sales.

I'm not gonna log into my Adwords account and ruin my day further. Google, this is a huge problem and the lack of info is not a good thing either.

(I was going to call it something other than "problem" but decided professional decorum was best.)

Melissa
Old 02-18-2007   #18
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

I turned off two major campaigns at Google on Friday afternoon and loaded up on other networks in protest. Guess what? I still received a ton of clicks and was charged both Saturday and Today. Not one campaign has been on for over 48 hours and I have people from Google in my sites right now, Sunday night.

Although I'm fuming, I'm actually interested in how we can pull off a good end of the month without using Google. Perhaps this is a good fire drill. I may not turn on the campaigns regardless of when they fix "the technical issue".

Discovery
Old 02-19-2007   #19
sem4u
Digital Marketer

sem4u is on a distinguished road
I have checked a couple of accounts this morning and things seem to be back to normal, but who knows what will happen the rest of this week?
sem4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007   #20
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough
ouch

ouch! Hope you guys dont have too many headaches after all that! Where could one find info on googles quality score, which as I uderstand, is relased next week?
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote