Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2007   #1
myrateplan

myrateplan is on a distinguished road
Search Engine Impact of Removed Pages

We are going to remove several pages from our site that are currently indexed by Google, probably doing a 301 redirect to another page on our site.

Two questions:

1. When the Google spider visits our site subsequent to this, what will it see? Put another way, will these pages eventually drop out of the Google directory?

2. When the spider from another search engine, where the pages are not currently indexed, visits our site, will it still see those pages?

The goal here is for these pages to no longer be indexed as I believe we are being penalized in some search engines for content that is somewhat similar. Is the 301 redirect enough, or should we also add 'no robots' type text to it to keep it from being indexed? Or is there another way this should be handled (i.e., just completely delete the pages and show our site's "Page not Found" message)

Thanks
myrateplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007   #2
radhika
Follow up Autoresponder Pro

radhika is on a distinguished road
301 redirection tells the search engines that it is permanent. So they will drop your old urls eventually and update their database with new urls.

New search engines (who never crawled before) will see your new pages.

301 is best than 404 error pages. Reg. robots.txt, I think no need to include all urls in it for exclusion. 301 tells the search engines that old url replaced by the new one.
radhika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007   #3
searcher

searcher is on a distinguished road
Unhappy 301 vs 401 vs 'This page has moved'

real beginner here. Coding the least favorite thing to do. Have about 30 OLD pages that need to be ...something... I initially just deleted content and pictures, left the menu ( a SSI ) and stated "This page has moved, please use menu to your left..." Now I'm thinking this may be consisdered duplicate content - ???

Can someone please advise SIMPLEST, EASIEST way to fix this problem?

signed:
chief, cook & bottle washer.
searcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007   #4
sumiruna

sumiruna is on a distinguished road
Consequences of new urls - penalties, page ranking?

<301 redirection tells the search engines that it is permanent. So they will drop your old urls eventually and update their database with new urls.

301 is best than 404 error pages. Reg. robots.txt, I think no need to include all urls in it for exclusion. 301 tells the search engines that old url replaced by the new one.>

Hi,

My company is doing the same thing - we are doing a site overhaul and intending to rename some pages with new, more SEF urls and relink these new pages to the new site, and cut loose the old pages. However, the content will not change much at all.

1) with the 301 redirect, will we be penalized by search engines for dupe content?

2) With our new urls, will we lose our page rank for those pages? How long will it take for the newly url-ed pages to gain search traction?

Our old pages were ranked pretty high, but we want to get an additional leg up over our competition using the new SEF urls.

3) How long will it take for the orphaned pages to drop out of site?

Thanks for your help!
sumiruna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #5
jeallen1055
Internet Marketing Guy

jeallen1055 is on a distinguished road
The impact of 301 redirects

I have just gone through this and feel I can speak with some authority here:

1) with the 301 redirect, will we be penalized by search engines for dupe content?

>> No, there is no duplicate. 301 says the old page no longer exisits, the new page replaces it.

2) With our new urls, will we lose our page rank for those pages? How long will it take for the newly url-ed pages to gain search traction?

>> Yes and no. If page ranks already exists for the new pages, you won't loose it, but by the same token if they never existed before they have no ranking. -- The 301 ensures that any links that exist will now point to the newer page so the rank should (assuming similar content) rise to meet the rank of the old pages. I am not sure anyone can tell you how long this will take as there are many factors involved. I would guess 3 weeks to 3 months depending on how heavily your site is trafficked and linked. Some people use 302 redirects and leave the old pages in place until the new pages gain ranking. Then do the 301. The issue here could be an issues with having duplicate content in the interim.

In my case there were three generations of web pages on a site that I inherited. When I did the 301s (over 200 pages) from the old pages to the new, most of the "new" pages already existed and had some ranking.

3) How long will it take for the orphaned pages to drop out of site?

>>The pages cease to exist to the outside world the moment you put the 301 in effect. When you put this into your .htaccess file (assuming Apache) and type in the old URL, you will immediately be redirected to the new pages and as such, you can delete the old pages from your site. The search engines will begin to log this change as your site is spiderred. Spiders that spider yoru site will only crawl links to the pages you have links to. If the spider tries to crawl an old redirected page, it will only find the new page (redirectes must be handled as "server side" redirects, as "client side" redirects are not seen by spiders).

Hope this helps.

Last edited by jeallen1055 : 03-19-2007 at 11:55 AM.
jeallen1055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #6
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrateplan
We are going to remove several pages from our site that are currently indexed by Google, probably doing a 301 redirect to another page on our site.

Two questions:

1. When the Google spider visits our site subsequent to this, what will it see? Put another way, will these pages eventually drop out of the Google directory?

2. When the spider from another search engine, where the pages are not currently indexed, visits our site, will it still see those pages?

The goal here is for these pages to no longer be indexed as I believe we are being penalized in some search engines for content that is somewhat similar. Is the 301 redirect enough, or should we also add 'no robots' type text to it to keep it from being indexed? Or is there another way this should be handled (i.e., just completely delete the pages and show our site's "Page not Found" message)

Thanks

They will eventually fall out of the index but, if another site links to the 301 URL (ie a blog) it will take longer.

It will not "see" the old pages but will index either the source URL or the target URL depending on the level of the two pages.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007   #7
beu

beu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to allbeu is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by radhika
301 redirection tells the search engines that it is permanent. So they will drop your old urls eventually and update their database with new urls.

301 is best than 404 error pages. Reg. robots.txt, I think no need to include all urls in it for exclusion. 301 tells the search engines that old url replaced by the new one.
If you disallow these URLs via a robots.txt you will be blocking the engines from seeing the page has moved.
beu is offline   Reply With Quote