Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > General Search Issues > Search Industry Growth & Trends
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2007   #1
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
Search Marketing Is...

A recent thread on the Web Analytics Forum on Yahoo Groups asked members to provide an explanation for what they do that would be suitable for a 6-year-old.

Suggestions include:
Web analytics is like the speedometer on your car
Web analytics is making Web sites better
Web analytics is like being a detective, or a spy

Do search marketers have a similar problem explaining their jobs?

I know I've seen this discussion before, but it may be worth bringing it up again, if only to force everyone to step back and think about what they're doing in a clear, simple way.

So here's the question: How do you explain what you do to your children, nieces/nephews, or assorted adult acquaintances that have no idea what "SEM" or "SEO" stand for?
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #2
leftoverjoe
Paid Search Manager

leftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura about
SageRock uses the following slogan -

'We're the people that get people to your site.'

That keeps it pretty simple, I think.
leftoverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2007   #3
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
I like that. Short, sweet, and to the point.

It seems like this topic is on other people's minds lately, at least partially as a result of all the Rocket Science/B.S. assaults on SEO, etc. Karl Ribas over at Search Marketing Gurus has a post about Using Analogies to Explain the Benefits of SEO, where he says: "Developing a website without a search engine marketing strategy in mind is the equivalent of opening a store on some back country road." He goes on to expand the analogy for SEO and search advertising.

It's not quite at the level of a six-year-old, but it's a good analogy nonetheless.
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007   #4
ReachLocalBusDev

ReachLocalBusDev is on a distinguished road
What do we do?

Simple is definitely the way to go.

We have said things like "You go to Google right? You have done a search and seen those people at the top and on the right? We get businesses there..." That usually results in an "OH!!!"

As for analogies, when selling this we use something like the convenience store in the desert. We work with small/mid-sized companies that are ususally only targeting local customers. In that case we say something like this: "Imagine you have 25,000 people outside of our business, all local customers, looking for you. They can't see you b/c you don't have the lights on. We turn them on."

Have a great day!

Last edited by ReachLocalBusDev : 02-14-2007 at 11:51 AM.
ReachLocalBusDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007   #5
copywriter39
copywriter39

copywriter39 is on a distinguished road
I think SEO is about connecting businesses with a specific market that is actively looking online for a product or service. Search engine marketing is about getting the attention of this same group.
copywriter39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007   #6
Jexley

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftoverjoe
SageRock uses the following slogan -

'We're the people that get people to your site.'

That keeps it pretty simple, I think.
I dig that one as it's the one closest to the one I use for my oldest kid and his friends: "You know how there's websites? I help people find 'em."

I like the one about "You know on Google? Yeah, I do that."