Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2007   #1
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
Yahoo Ad Ranking Model Issues?

Today's the day, as any search marketer not living under a rock for the past few months knows. Yahoo's flipping the switch on its new ad ranking model, so that bid price is no longer the sole factor in determining ad positions. The new ad quality algorithm makes Yahoo more Googley, which they say will improve overall ad quality, and critics say will make Yahoo more money by forcing advertisers to overpay.

The truth, as always, is likely found somewhere in the middle. If all goes well, the new algorithm will improve ad quality, by making it harder for low-quality sites that are engaging in arbitrage to rank well. (That's not to say there are not quality sites that add value that are engaged in arbitrage -- I'm talking about the "made for AdSense" sites that are not adding anything but a middleman). In the short-term, it will also annoy many marketers that have grown used to having a purely bid-based alternative to Google.

We've already heard about the many issues with the transition and the roll-out of the new Panama interface. The new ranking model is bound to bring out a whole new round of concerns and complaints. Yahoo gives advertisers some tips on its Yahoo Search Marketing Blog. We'd love to hear about your experience, your complaints, and any tips for your peers here in the forum.
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #2
leftoverjoe
Paid Search Manager

leftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura about
Not that everyone has the time for this...but at least this switch forces you to re-examine your ads and possibly refresh them for the utmost relevancy. I think that a system like this is why us SEMs have jobs. It's not necessarily easy to just take any old campaign and decrease CPC while increasing conversions and positions.

That said, it will definitely take time to get all of our clients campaigns adjusted to the new system. I have always disliked Yahoo's click index, and I hope that this new model improves on that basic system, because it always seemed so darn abitrary.

I will post again after I have some experience with the new ranking setup.
leftoverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #3
David Wallace

David Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to beholdDavid Wallace is a splendid one to behold
What we have done is to take what is working well over at Google as far as how Ad Groups are set up, targeted list of key phrases, ad creative, etc., and duplicate that over at Yahoo. We figure if it is working at Google, it should have equal chance at working with Yahoo's new ranking model.
David Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #4
leftoverjoe
Paid Search Manager

leftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura aboutleftoverjoe has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace
We figure if it is working at Google, it should have equal chance at working with Yahoo's new ranking model.
That sounds like a good way to do it...and generally that's what we have done so far too. The main issue with that is Yahoo's traffic. That's one thing that is hard to account for. Your relevancy, ad quality, and landing page quality may work to get your click index rating high, but you can never be sure that the same traffic that made your Google campaign successful will be in Yahoo, looking for, or doing, the same things.

It's always tricky to find that balance of the correct audience targeting, and who is searching for what, where. David, you've definitely got the right idea though, and that's what I am recommending to all of our clients until we can think of something better.

Cheers.
leftoverjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #5
Kevin Newcomb

Kevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really niceKevin Newcomb is just really nice
I've heard from a few people that importing csv files exported from Google will not always import into Yahoo's system. Have you guys been successful in doing this? Was it as simple as it should be?
Kevin Newcomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007   #6
ackmnmn
martyw

ackmnmn is on a distinguished road
Ad Relevancy Laugh

The irony is in Yahoo’s blanket fix-it recommendation, the “keyword insertion” option. Because that solution has been so highly recommended lots of PPC buyers are doing it in the title.

A Yahoo search for “music production school” returns a SERP with 3 advertisers sporting “Music Production School” as the title. How funny is that: a play for ad relevancy has, at least temporarily, caused ads from different companies to be nearly indistinguishable and generic! LAUGH!

Last edited by ackmnmn : 02-05-2007 at 03:37 PM. Reason: typo
ackmnmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #7
Gianluigi

Gianluigi is on a distinguished road
Is anyone of you experiences changes in the # of conversions? (after the new ranking model and transition to panama)
Gianluigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #8
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Conversions and conversion rate are down for my account. We also seem to be dealing with some competitors that are abusing the system (i.e.: multiple ads at seperate domains, bidding on competitor terms, etc.).
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007   #9
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Our conversion % is actually up. But it's too early to draw a lot of conclusions, IMHO.

Melissa
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote