Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2007   #1
IgorMordkovich
Member Since 2003 ... new name.

IgorMordkovich is on a distinguished road
PR Release and SEO ... Where to publish first?

I am interested in hearing an opinion from other SEO folks here.

If you have a Press release you want to put out with hopes that it will be mentioned on other news websites etc (not necessarily republished) ... for SEO benefit, would you first put it on the company website to be crawled and only then submit to PRWeb or not?

You see if it was just content, then yes, common sense it to have your content appear on your site first ... but this is a PR release. I want to hear your opinion.

Note .... article has links pointing back to the company's site. If we don't put it on our site, SEs might give more weight to the link thinking that it's an editorial about the company and not "pushed" by the company. Your thoughts?
IgorMordkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007   #2
awolski

awolski is on a distinguished road
Subscribe into PRWeb
awolski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007   #3
spidergirl

spidergirl is on a distinguished road
For SEO benefit and newsites pick up, I would submit your optimized press release to the newswires. You will want the Press Release you submit to the newswires to have keyword rich content and link with keyword rich anchor text to your website in them for maximum benefit.

Besides submitting to PR Web, I would also recommend PR Leap. I found that PR Leap was crawled quicker and ranked better in Google. Its also a bit cheaper. Submitting to both definitley has value.

Having your Press Releases on your Website in flat HTML, probably won't get your release picked up by newssites, it really depends if your site is frequented by the media. But I would recommend placing them in your site's press room to provide the search engines with additional content to rank your Website with the SERPs.

Hope this helps
spidergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #4
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough
. . .

Depending on your product/site, prweb has the potential to generate lots of links to your site but bear in mind, google likes to see consistancy in your links building. I have always used prweb with a mature site
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007   #5
lizcamps
Online Marketing Manager at Yodle.com

lizcamps is on a distinguished road
I've heard URLWire recommended for Link Pop (quasi-PR style)

Hi, I don't work for Eric Ward nor have I used his services yet, but I've heard him well-recommended by big SEO gurus as the "king of links" and "link Moses", etc. He has a service called URLWire http://www.urlwire.com/ which seems on some kind of par - although the distribution may be less than PRWeb which of course is a great service, in his case the contacts may be more receptive because he's spent the last few years building his link/PR contacts network

Again, I'm not affiliated with him nor do I know him personally... just passing along what I hear from the SEO podcasts and blogs out there.

I'm interested to hear of others' experiences with PRWeb (a must), PR Leap (haven't tried yet), and URLWire (haven't tried yet)

Thanks,
Liz
lizcamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #6
egain

egain is on a distinguished road
IMO depends on the purpose of the release, is it a purely distribution based release or is the primary purpose from an SEO perspective.

Services such as PRNewswire and Newswire provide a far more targetted channel to specific demographics than the cheaper alternatives, however unless your willing to pay top-wack, the SEO benefit (on a keyword level) is less. This however should be kept in mind with both the offline/online distribution of using such a service.

As regards PR as an SEO tool, I personally write a "scaled down" release for release, which links through to a more full-scale release on site, released simulataneousy, in order to reduce any "duplicate content" issues that could arise between the onsite release and distribution release.
egain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #7
EricWard-LinkMensch
EricWard.com

EricWard-LinkMensch has a spectacular aura aboutEricWard-LinkMensch has a spectacular aura about
Quick note regarding URLwire.com

Thanks Liz for the mention. Although URLwire is my own company, I am very harsh with regards to my recomendations as to when it makes sense to pay to announce a site on it. URLwire only makes sense --and I can't say this strongly enough--URLwire only makes sense if your announcement is specifically about a web site and if the news itself is about the content on that site. In other words, the site itself *is* the news. If your news is about anything other than the content available on the site, URLwire isn't helpful. That's because URLwire readers are people who write about and link to web content.

I also serve as an online marketing strategist for many companies, and in that role I regularly steer people to PRweb, Businesswire, as well as niche wire services. The key is recognizing what tools, services, and methods are appropriate for whatever it is you are announcing, and understanding what the potential outcomes can be. From an SEO standpoint, press releases have the potential to be helpful, but the reality is that press release spam is rampant. I receive at least 20 unsolicited and pointless press releases every day from well meaning public relations folks who just don't understand how to utilize the online opportunities properly.

Every announcement needs its own approach to dissemination, link building, publicity, etc., based on the news itself. Spending a bunch of money to optimize a press release so it might hang in the Google news results for a few days is ultimately meaningless unless 1). Your intended audience is looking for you there, and 2). You do something with traffic once it's on your site.

Likewize with the the so-called SMPR (Social Media Press Release), which at the end of the day is really just a fancy way to ease the process of potential sharing of the news. The natural evolution of the old "email this to a friend" approach. Now it's "Digg this", or "Tag this" or "Socialize this". This is all cool and fun, but let's be honest. If your announcement is crap to begin with, then nobody is gonna share it, or if they do, they just shared crap. Big deal.

I've been disseminating news for others in the online world for 14 years, and while much has changed, the one thing that hasn't is that your news has a logical destination and interest potential. Your objective is to identify and reach those destinations in a way that does no harm, leaves no bad taste, and offends very few (at least not purposely), and along the way sparks some useful links.

You do this using a sharp pencil, not a drum of red paint.

Then again I am a bit old fashioned...

Eric
EricWard-LinkMensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007   #8
The PR Guy

The PR Guy is a jewel in the roughThe PR Guy is a jewel in the roughThe PR Guy is a jewel in the roughThe PR Guy is a jewel in the rough
Press Release SEO

Here are some tips and some best practices for what to do with an optimized press release:

1. Before you send it out on a wire service or post it on your web site, consider emailing your press release to select reporters and bloggers. You will increase your odds of generating publicity if you give an "advance" copy of your news to key opinion leaders.

2. Yes, use PRWeb, Business Wire or one of the other press release distribution services. They are "news sources" for Google News, Yahoo News, or the other major news search engines. About five minutes after your press release goes out over these wire services, you will see it appear in the news search engines -- along with anyone else searching for your key news search terms.

3. Yes, archive your press release on your web site. But, be patient. It may take days, weeks, or months, before Google, Yahoo and the other "regular" search engines index your new page and start showing it in their search results. Still, you want you add content to your web site -- even if it takes some time for it to be found, so this is a worthwhile step to take.

4. Finally, you should realize that "news search terms" can often differ from regular "web search terms." In other words, the users of Google News don't always use the same keywords as the users of Google. To get a sense of this, go to Google Trends (a free tool) which can be found at www.google.com/trends. Then, type in the terms you are thinking of using. The Google Trends chart at the top will show you the regular web search trends and the chart underneath that will show you the news search trends. Sometimes, they move in parallel. Sometimes, they don't. And sometimes there isn't enough news search volume even for a popular web search term. So, try to pick terms that are used both in web search and news search for your press release -- which will be found quickly in news search engines and eventually by regular web search engines.
The PR Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #9
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

. . .

Nice respone guys. pr guy, how could one appear in the google news?
Old 02-03-2007   #10
The PR Guy

The PR Guy is a jewel in the roughThe PR Guy is a jewel in the roughThe PR Guy is a jewel in the roughThe PR Guy is a jewel in the rough
Google News

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmcmaster
Nice respone guys. pr guy, how could one appear in the google news?
Google News is the most ecumenical news search engine. It seems to include more than half a dozen press release distribution services in its 4,500+ news sources. So, sending out your press release on virtually any of them will get it into Google News.

This includes (in alphabetical order) the five largest press release distribution services: Business Wire, Market Wire, PrimeNewswire, PR Newswire, and PRWeb. This will cost you between $40 at the low end and $1,815 at the high end (for an 800-word multimedia release with 1 photo).

We've used all these wire services over the past four years -- and, generally, we've found that you get what you pay for.

So, if all you want is Google News, then go for an inexpensive wire service. If you also want Yahoo! News, AOL News, Yahoo! Finance, Google Finance, and AOL Money & Finance, news services, financial information providers, databases, online services, Web portals, and media covering more than 150 industries -- then go for a premium wire service.

And don't forget Eric Ward's URLwire, the only service devoted just to announcing new web content. Site announcements via URLwiire are crawled immediately by all major search engines.

No promotional fee was payed for this plug.

Eric created URLwire because mass wire services are not selective about what they announce and who they send it to, and cannot reach the key online contacts who specifically write about, review, and link to new web content. Since I now write for the Search Engine Watch Blog, I appreciate his quality over quantity approach.
The PR Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007   #11
BuckfastMonk

. . .

Excellent, thanks for your detailed and prompt response