Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Yahoo! > Yahoo Search Marketing (PPC Ads)
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2007   #1
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Panamania - They Are All Going Quality

Panama is adding a Quality Score Feb. 5. Read all about it here.

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 01-23-2007 at 08:03 PM.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007   #2
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I am also waiting on a return call from the Director of Public Relations to ask a few questions. Any suggestions before she calls?
Old 01-24-2007   #3
Mel66
Oversees: Google AdWords

Mel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud ofMel66 has much to be proud of
Yeah: when does Yahoo plan to complete the circle and offer Site Exclusion? I had heard it would be "soon," but can someone be more specific?

QS *can* be a step in the right direction, but we need more control from the advertiser side.

Added: I now see that you've already talked to them. My question still stands though.
Mel66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #4
AussieWebmaster

I would hate being director of PR - you are going to get a bunch of tough questions and sometimes some technical ones you have no idea about but have to maintain the company line...
Gaude Lydia Paez was well versed in Panama when I spoke with her last night and has a great understanding on ther mechanics of PPC.
I updated the article in the blog to include some Q&A.... and I think she read that and this so add questions and maybe we can get some more answers.

Last edited by AussieWebmaster : 01-24-2007 at 10:16 AM.
Old 01-24-2007   #5
AussieWebmaster

There is some interesting discussions going on about this move... I like Loren Baker's details....
Old 01-24-2007   #6
AussieWebmaster

This is the email sent to advertisers:

With new features like ad testing, geo-targeting and fast ad
activation, the new Sponsored Search system gives you more ways to
connect with customers searching for what you sell.

On February 5, 2007, we are introducing a new ranking model in the
U.S. that considers an ad's quality and bid amount. The new model is
designed to help you spend less time in bidding wars and more time
creating the most relevant, effective ads, which can help drive
better results for your business.

Here's a quick summary of this important change:

- Both bid amount and ad quality will determine an ad's rank in
search results beginning February 5, 2007.

- This will replace the current method, in which ads in search
results are ranked by bid amount only (bid-to-position).

- This is designed to allow you to focus less on competitive bidding
practices and more on the quality of your ads.

- By improving the quality of your ads and making them more relevant
to users, you may be rewarded with a better ranking and/or a lower
cost for your ads.

What is "Ad Quality"?
Ad quality is determined by:

1. The ad's historical performance--its click-through rate relative
to competitors and normalized for position.

2. The ad's expected performance--determined by various relevance
factors considered by Yahoo!'s ranking algorithms, relative to other
ads displayed at the same time.

Overall ad quality is displayed in graphical form by the quality
index.

Other Important Things to Know:

- We recommend that you review your current max bids. Keep in mind
you may be charged up to this amount. Learn More:
http://ysm.yahoo-email.com/a/tBFtwB8...NAvojUgZn/pan6

- Standard match type ads will no longer receive priority placement
over Advanced match type ads. Learn More:
http://ysm.yahoo-email.com/a/tBFtwB8...NAvojUgZn/pan7

- Fewer Sponsored Search results may now appear at the very top of
the page for certain search terms. Learn More:
http://ysm.yahoo-email.com/a/tBFtwB8...NAvojUgZn/pan8

Once you've upgraded to the new Sponsored Search system, you'll be
able to gain an understanding of your ad's overall quality by looking
at its quality index. If you would like to upgrade now, please submit
your request to our Online Reservation Page, and we will try to
accommodate your request.
http://ysm.yahoo-email.com/a/tBFtwB8...NAvojUgZn/pan9

To learn more about the quality index, the new approach to ad ranking
and helpful tips, please use the link below.
http://ysm.yahoo-email.com/a/tBFtwB8...AvojUgZn/pan10
Old 01-24-2007   #7
PPC

PPC will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieWebmaster
There is some interesting discussions going on about this move... I like Loren Baker's details....
From that link..."Yahoo Search Marketing’s ‘Quality Ranking’ could look at these factors as being the most important...
* Conversion data"

If Yahoo (or Google for that matter) takes into consideration conversion rates, that would be completely unfair. What if one advertiser decides a conversion is signing up for a free newsletter while another decides a conversion is making a sale of a product that costs $1000? Clearly one conversion is worth much more than the other. Its not the search engines job to monitor conversion rates of competing advertisers. Do you think it would be correct for the network showing the Super Bowl to charge IBM a lot more for their advertisements of corporate servers compared to an ad for Bud Light because the beer ad has a higher conversion rate with the audience? Of course not, thats absurd. But thats basically what search engines will be doing if they start ranking based on conversion. Who is to say that conversion data is working on everyone's end (including the SE) anyway?

If this does go into effect, you can bet that I will make sure that our conversion codes kicks in on every visit to the landing page and I'll just end up using a separate 3rd party software to track conversions. 100% conversion! Minimum bids for all terms!
PPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007   #8
AussieWebmaster

I would have kept that info a little closer to the vest... now everyone will do it and it will be worthless....
Go ahead Yahoo change it!!!
Old 01-24-2007   #9
PPC

I wonder if its going to be "ad quality" or "ad/keyword quality". For example, we have terms in the same ad groups with vastly different CTR. Say we have a bunch of high performing keywords with great CTR and total impressions of 1000 per day. These highly targeted terms account for 90% of spend, clicks, sales, conversions, etc for this ad group. Also, in this ad group we have a few, very general terms with low CTR that generate only minimal spend, clicks, sales, etc. but are still worth having ads on. Maybe these terms have 25,000 impressions per day. My question is whether "ad quality" for the top performing terms is going to be dragged down by the few general terms with very low CTR but much higher impressions? Its going to take tons of re-organizing if that is the case. I really hope they do it similar to Google.
Old 01-24-2007   #10
PPC

Quote:
I would have kept that info a little closer to the vest... now everyone will do it and it will be worthless....
Go ahead Yahoo change it!!!
Yeah, Yahoo will be amazed at the success of the new platform... everyone is converting at 100%!!!
Old 01-25-2007   #11
Wilko
Wilko

Wilko is on a distinguished road
Yahoo! have only left the door open with regards to incorporating conversion into the relevancy score, in their words "the features may also be determined in accordance with other factors such as historical click-through and conversion data"

They'd have to be stupid to use conversion data, as one guy has already stated people classify many different results as a conversion and Yahoo! would not be able to get the big players to set up Yahoo! conversion tracking as most big spenders have their own search analytics tools.

Realistically, I can't see them using conversion, it makes for a fairer playing field if they don't
Wilko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007   #12
AussieWebmaster

This system is crying out to be abused....
Old 01-25-2007   #13
PPC

Quote:
This system is crying out to be abused....
True, both Google and Yahoo have left the door open for it. But realistically, it won't work and I think they will realize this.