Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engines & Directories > Google > Google AdWords
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2004   #1
sebastian
Deep in the trenches

sebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nice
ALERT: Google Adwords down for some folks

Currently Google Adwords is down for many folks trying to change creative for many of their "adgroups"

I spoke with Google Atlanta today and they said engineers are aware of the problem.

For me, this has been going on for over 2 days. I cannot change any of my creative for adgroups and i spend well over $500/day with the program.

quite troubling - it's like being held financially hostage without having the ability to change information - so if anyone else experiences this, Head's Up!

cheers

christian "sebastion"
sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #2
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
I have had the same problem here and I was told it was identifie on the 7th. Engineers have not been able to fix the problem so far and have had to move and reset one account so far for me.

I strongly believe that we should not pay for any clicks in the time frame where we do not have access and if they have to reset our accounts (and earned CTR) then I expect to be compensated for that too.

Errors can happen - we all have to accept that. Thats not the problem to me, the problem is that ...

1) When an access error like this happen they should pause those campaigns by deault. Off course, that could hurt Googles earnings bad but now I feel they are just passing on the problem to us - the advertisers. Thats simply not fair.

2) It took me over 24 hours to get any response from Google on this issue from when I first noticed it. I was left completely in the dark and alone to explain to my clients about the problem. Why does it have to take this long in emergency situations like this and why am I not getting more help from Google in explaining the problem to my clients? You leave me to guess and I may not guess right

Please Google, explain why this episode turned out this bad and what you intend to do to prevent it from happening again . You are not making our job trying to promote your product any easier ...
Mikkel deMib Svendsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #3
sebastian
Deep in the trenches

sebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nicesebastian is just really nice
I agree 100%

When i bring this up to my reps they are very aloof with their responses.

I have learned that google reps really do not know anything. they are sales people with no better access to the systems than we have as clients.

It seems they can query some low-level engineers, but basically, i have found them useless and difficult to communicate with...

o well, the approach they seem to take is "sorry, if you don't like it, don't advertise" ...bad business, but typical of "too big" business attitude.

here's the number of my reps office: 770.551.8177 and her name is amanda. perhaps she can point you to the right people for you to talk to.... although, unless you are a 'premium' adwords customer, you may be forced to deal with "email-only"

...which is also lame.

hey google rep - are ya listenin'
Old 09-10-2004   #4
AdWordsRep
AdWords Customer Advocate

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Hi all,

Just a few thoughts in response to this thread.

Quote:
Currently Google Adwords is down for many folks trying to change creative for many of their "adgroups"
This is not really correct. AdWords is decidedly not down. However, it is true that in a very few cases, advertisers have had access problems, getting into particular areas of their accounts. The number of affected advertisers is a very tiny percentage of all advertisers, judging by the number of emails and phone calls on the subject.

With that said, if you are one of the few affected, please accept my sincere apology, on behalf of AdWords. I can assure you that this in fact being worked on, as a real priority. Since only a very few accounts are affected, if you are one of them, you could in fact assist in tracking the problem down by writing to us from within your account and providing details.

Quote:
I cannot change any of my creative for adgroups and i spend well over $500/day with the program.
Since I haven't been able to personally work in a single account that is having this issue, I can not really confirm the following. However, I understand that you should still be able to pause the affected campaigns from the Campaign Summary page.

Quote:
When an access error like this happen they should pause those campaigns by deault. Off course, that could hurt Googles earnings bad but now I feel they are just passing on the problem to us - the advertisers. Thats simply not fair.
I agree 100% with Mikkel deMib Svendsen's quote in principle - but it presupposes that the AdWords system has a way to automatically pin-point the tiny number of affected campaigns or Ad Groups amongst the many hundreds of thousands live in the system. This is not the case, however.

Quote:
I have learned that google reps really do not know anything. they are sales people with no better access to the systems than we have as clients...
Well, since I am one of them - and I share the spirit in which they work - I can't really agree with that, sebastian. But I do certainly apologize for the frustration behind your statement.

Quote:
hey google rep - are ya listenin'
Absolutely, yes.

Please be aware, though, that it is usually many hours between my visits to SEW. In all honesty, I'm typically here, off-and-on, for about an hour out of a 12 hour day.

So - again - I hope you will accept our regrets for a difficult situation, and please be assured that this issue really is being addressed as a priority, by folks that actually do care that things aren't working right.

AWR

Last edited by AdWordsRep : 09-10-2004 at 07:56 PM.
AdWordsRep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2004   #5
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

Mikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud ofMikkel deMib Svendsen has much to be proud of
Quote:
However, I understand that you should still be able to pause the affected campaigns from the Campaign Summary page.
No, that is exactly one of the problems with this bug - you can't even pause campaigns. It's just running wild
Old 09-10-2004   #6
AdWordsRep

AdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud ofAdWordsRep has much to be proud of
Quote:
No, that is exactly one of the problems with this bug - you can't even pause campaigns.
Understood.

However, please be sure to try from both the Campaign page itself, and the Campaign Summary page as well.

AWR
Old 09-10-2004   #7
Mikkel deMib Svendsen

I've been all around this for 2 days. Trust me, there is no way I can do anything to those campaigns. I can't get in at any level, I can't pause or anything.

I have this particular account handled by my local premium level rep by now, but even at this level it took me 36 hours to get any response. With an account running wild thats just not acceptable to the clients I service.

You should have an emergency number to call in cases like this to force full pause of campaigns that mess up. This should be easy for Google and would give advertisers a lot more tust. Kind of like the number my bank have given me to call if my credit cards get stolen - with one call (24/7) they can block them all in minutes.
Old 09-10-2004   #8
AdWordsRep

Quote:
You should have an emergency number to call in cases like this to force full pause of campaigns that mess up. This should be easy for Google and would give advertisers a lot more tust. Kind of like the number my bank have given me to call if my credit cards get stolen - with one call (24/7) they can block them all in minutes.
A good point, Mikkel deMib Svendsen, which I've just pasted into the Advertiser Feedback summary that I send out every Friday - to a large number of interested people who actually read it.

AWR
Old 09-10-2004   #9
sebastian
Deep in the trenches

Hi all,

Just a few thoughts in response to this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdWordsRep
This is not really correct. AdWords is decidedly not down. However, it is true that in a very few cases, advertisers have had access problems, getting into particular areas of their accounts. The number of affected advertisers is a very tiny percentage of all advertisers, judging by the number of emails and phone calls on the subject.
AWR
I am sorry, and this is not a flame, but this is the arrogance of Google that i allude to. if theapp is not working for *some* people, that means there is a flaw in the coding or hardware. when i can't manipulate my ads correctly, that means i am "down". when you are one of the "small number of advertisers" it hurts.

Quote:
With that said, if you are one of the few affected, please accept my sincere apology, on behalf of AdWords. I can assure you that this in fact being worked on, as a real priority. Since only a very few accounts are affected, if you are one of them, you could in fact assist in tracking the problem down by writing to us from within your account and providing details.
AWR
Again, here is a big problem at Google. Not only am i already burning up valuable resources trying in vain to manipulate my ads, but i also burn up more time researching forums to find others with the same problem and perhaps some helpful feedback ...i burn up time trying to get hold of my reps ...which is futile more than half the time ...and i burn up additional time trying to get this point across to you. -- now you want me to burn up additonal time researching each adgroup affected, and then document the entire scenerio per account? ....PUHlease AdWordsRep.

This response only fuels my frustration and proves that many of the goole reps do not have real-world, in-the-trenches experience. if this was the case, you'd realize, like the rest of the webmasters and internet marketing professionals here, that your solution is not feasible; furthermore, why put the work on the customer? the problem is at Google. Why can't google just give the client a free day of clicks? ...especially clients like us that have spent waaay over a million dollars with the company.

small things like that go a long way.

Quote:
Since I haven't been able to personally work in a single account that is having this issue, I can not really confirm the following. However, I understand that you should still be able to pause the affected campaigns from the Campaign Summary page.
AWR
You still do not get it and i am sorry to appear aggressive, but i don't want to PAUSE anything ...just chage some CPCs and creative copy. Again, the blame lies with Google, not us. We did nothing wrong. And again, Google should simply comp us for our troubles and due to our longterm relationship with the company.

- noting you say discounts this point.

Quote:
I agree 100% with Mikkel deMib Svendsen's quote in principle - but it presupposes that the AdWords system has a way to automatically pin-point the tiny number of affected campaigns or Ad Groups amongst the many hundreds of thousands live in the system. This is not the case, however.
AWR
Pinpoint? what else do you need besides a unhappy customer and proof that the system is currently broken for that customer?

my reps admitted it ...google knows it's a problem right now.

that's all the "indentification" necessary.

I again apologize if this sounds "attacking" but we are a dynamic company with thousands of keywords and we need to move swiftly and efficiently. When Google has a problem, it always seems like the hassles are offloaded to the client.

Google should:

1) admit the problem. your post danced all around it yet it is 100% confirmed.

2) offer clients affected free clicks until a resolution is in effect ...especially, if they are good clients

3) if my site was down and i never 'paused' my campaign, google would still expect to be paid for clicks. when google is dfaulty, i expect to NOT pay for clicks. i find this a very similar parallel.

ok, going to enjoy my friday.

thanks

christian "sebastion"