Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2007   #1
tonystai

tonystai is on a distinguished road
Are Directory Submissions a better backlink?

I have a question that I would like to have expert opinions on.

I wrote a software application called directorysitesubmitter.com during the middle of last year.

Generally sales were OK but not great. I wrote the application after the google updates which was devaluing reciprocal links (I had lots of them on my money site) and thought that there would be a rush to do directory submissions by webmasters.

My question, is whether directory submissions are going to continue to be a viable backlink in the eyes of the search engines in 2007?

The reason that I ask is that I'm trying to decide whether I should work on any significant enhancements to the software for 2007 or should I put my focus elsewhere.

Along those same lines, are there any guesses as to other link strategies for 2007 that are going to become hot or go extinct?

Thanks much,

Tony Stai

Last edited by Chris_D : 01-02-2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: removed anchor text active tracked link
tonystai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #2
debraM

debraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nice
Quote:
My question, is whether directory submissions are going to continue to be a viable backlink in the eyes of the search engines in 2007? The reason that I ask is that I'm trying to decide whether I should work on any significant enhancements to the software for 2007 or should I put my focus elsewhere.
You can make a good argument either way on the future of directories, especially if they’re general directories. I believe niche and topically focused directories will continue to do well especially if they’re human reviewed and rated.

Have you had a chance to survey your customers and ask for operational input on your tool? You might be able to boost your sales from "OK" to great by asking what they want and then giving it to them. Make them happy and they'll happily refer your tool to others.

Quote:
Along those same lines, are there any guesses as to other link strategies for 2007 that are going to become hot or go extinct?
Three guesses for what will work:

1. I believe the development of the corporate blog and corporate wiki will continue to grow as businesses look for new and innovate ways to capture attention and build reputation on the Web.

2. Article writing will also be another homerun tactic provided it’s done as a way to attract media and consumer attention instead of being fodder for an article directory.

3. Create a media center for your site and don’t forget the RSS. All sites should sport a little orange button if they want to spread the word.

As for going extinct – there’s no dinosaurs in linking – yet! Nothing really dies in cyberland, it just goes round and round and comes back with a new name!

debraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #3
mtb167
SEO New Kid

mtb167 is on a distinguished road
In my opinion directory links are already devalued for the large part. Here is why.

When you go to a directory and submit your link, often times there are multiple pages within any given category. normally only the first of those pages holds any weight in Google, or has any page rank.

unless you're on the ground floor of a new free directory, i don't think the links are really worth much anymore. They're good for getting indexed, but not ranking for competitive terms
mtb167 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #4
debraM

debraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nicedebraM is just really nice
Smile

Quote:
unless you're on the ground floor of a new free directory, i don't think the links are really worth much anymore. They're good for getting indexed, but not ranking for competitive terms
Interesting... while I agree with the "getting indexed" comment, I have a different view on the rest.
I like to secure links from the old, long established directories over new ones, it makes sense to me they'd convey more "trust" in the eyes of the search engines.
Old 01-04-2007   #5
mtb167
SEO New Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by debraM
Interesting... while I agree with the "getting indexed" comment, I have a different view on the rest.
I like to secure links from the old, long established directories over new ones, it makes sense to me they'd convey more "trust" in the eyes of the search engines.

I understand where you're coming from, but my point is that many of the older directories bury your link 3, 4, 10 pages into a category.

And I'm not talking about:
Internet > Site promotion > Search Engine Optimization > Link Building

I'm talking about:
Link building page1 > Link building page2 > ... > Link Building page10

Link building page 10 carries very little weight regardless, and often times, isn't even indexed.
Old 01-04-2007   #6
debraM

Very true mtb! And I believe you should take that into consideration before you make/pay for the submission into a Directory, but also consider this:

Older directories tend to have a good portion of their pages indexed, so the likelihood they'll get those deep or new pages crawled will probably be pretty high. Eventually they'll be added, show and accumulate some weight.

Will they carry a lot of linking/ranking weight? Doubtful they would for a long long time, but hey - you have to start somewhere.

IMO, it's not a good idea to depend on Directory links (or any one type) to be the basis of your link marketing program, they should be part of a much bigger picture. While a great and relatively easy resource for decent, one-way indexed links, most Directory links aren't pillars of strength in the overall ranking game. Use when needed but don't use as a sole source.

Old 01-04-2007   #7
mtb167
SEO New Kid

Cheers to that
Old 01-04-2007   #8
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
It is worth the time to submit to all the free ones.... remember there is 'supposedly' no bad impact from inbound links... yeah right.

We have had good improved SERPs when using the free directories.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #9
debraM

That's good to hear Frank! I keep an eye on a couple of resources that list free, paid and recip directories and like this one for it's clean interface:

http://www.web-directories.ws/General/Free/

Old 01-04-2007   #10
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Yeah that is decent.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #11
mtb167
SEO New Kid

I have been using a submission service lately. They hit the big names and the old names, and are cheap.

I just find directory submissions to be very very tedious, especially for the return.
Old 01-06-2007   #12
Justilien
Link Columnist - SearchEngineWatch

Justilien is a jewel in the roughJustilien is a jewel in the roughJustilien is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
I just find directory submissions to be very very tedious, especially for the return.
Yes they can be very tedious and time consuming. If you want a better return focus on vertical, niche and local directories. I use Google to find the ones that are currently ranking for each industry I work in. If the directory is ranking you know it is probably in good standing in Google and will pass trust more quickly. Plus it has a better chance to drive quality traffic.
Justilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007   #13
cnvi

cnvi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
My question, is whether directory submissions are going to continue to be a viable backlink in the eyes of the search engines in 2007?
I think directory submissions have value when the directory the webmasters is submitting to is useful and benefits the web in general. Assuming your software is valuable by saving webmasters time, I would urge you to continue to develop your software with features that better the web.

Also something to think about.. because you questioned "will directory submissions be valuable to SEs...". I presume you are aassociating directory submission with how those links affect search engines.

What about the traffic from those links??? If your software helps webmasters build traffic from the use of the software, who cares what the search engines think of it? I can answer that because I just visited your website.. your own promotional verbiage states "Directory Submission is the Key to Strengthening Your Google PR!". Not necessarily..

I would urge you to refine your marketing strategy (and your software) to focus on the value the software provides in terms of building traffic and saving time, as opposed to marketing your product as a PR building tool.

It's my humble opinion that in heinsight, Google probably wishes they had never let the PR cat out of the bag because so many webmasters focus on that number instead of what is going to benefit their end users. If Google is going to continue to publish PR changes less frequently, it's safe to predict they may eventually remove PR from their toolbar, and then with your current marketing angle, your software could be viewed as useless.

I would suggest you re-evaluate your software (and your marketing strategy) based on what most benefits the webmasters who intend to use the software to manage directory submission. IE, it saves time and it helps them build traffic.
cnvi is offline   Reply With Quote