Search Engine Watch
SEO News

Go Back   Search Engine Watch Forums > Search Engine Marketing Strategies > Search Engine Optimization
FAQ Members List Calendar Forum Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2006   #1
uhuh

uhuh is on a distinguished road
I have a top keyword #1 position, I am wondering how i got it

yeh i made a web page about 4 or 5 years ago and the ntotally forgot about it,so the other day im searching and find it listed #1 in almost every search engine. i havnt a clue about seo or whatever,im just a beginner.

im wondering how did this happen since nothing is on the site except /index of. im also wondering if there is a way to capitalize from being first for a common keyword. if i put up a new site now,will it have an effect on the ranking? also if i do put up a new site how long before the new title/description shows up in searches.

anyway,thanks in advance
uhuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006   #2
BuckfastMonk
test, test, test, test, test, test, change. test, test, test, test, test, change

BuckfastMonk will become famous soon enough
. . .

What is your domain name and what terms are being ranked highly?
BuckfastMonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007   #3
evilgreenmonkey

evilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud ofevilgreenmonkey has much to be proud of
A 5 year old site can carry a lot of trust - think how many website concepts stick around for more then a year. All it usually takes is one page of content and a few inbound links to get some form of ranking when the search term isn't commercially competitive, especially if the domain registrant, host and website haven't changed much over the years.

Things you can do:
  1. Think of a large company that would most benefit from traffic on the search term you're ranking on and sell the domain (quick income)
  2. If you're getting good click-through traffic, stick up some AdSense or affiliate links in a way which does not make the site seem too spammy (regular income)
  3. Create a new site for the domain and integrate advertising (slow income although could be the most profitable)

Oh, and remember that any changes to the page title, meta data and content could actually lose your ranking, so be careful and think long and hard before making any tweaks.
evilgreenmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #4
Marcia

Marcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond reputeMarcia has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think I'd make any major changes, I've learned my lesson about "fixing when it ain't broke." I think EGM's idea of putting up Adsense is a real good one, and then little by little building out the site content on the topic.
Marcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #5
AussieWebmaster
Forums Editor, SearchEngineWatch

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
I would use a few analytic tools to get a feel for why you are at the top.... try checking your inbound links... where they are from... what the text link says... etc.

Maybe there is a DMOZ listing from way back.... maybe the domain name helps... you lucked out on title tags and content... it is a very uncompetitive area or somehow you got lucky.
AussieWebmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #6
Discovery
Jerry Nordstrom

Discovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud ofDiscovery has much to be proud of
I have found this to be true for our sites. I have a large number of sites that have been active for over 6 years. All have excellent rankings and we have done very little in the way of monitoring and implementing the latest SEO techniques.

I have also had brand spanking new websites go to the top of the rankings with no complex Optimization. Simply good content, links and effective titles.

In my view if I were starting a new business which required a website I would seek to purchase a domain name that has aged for 3-5 years and avoid going through hard core SEO on a newer site.

Not dissing SEO, just saying that this may be the fastest path to solid rankings.

Discovery
Discovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007   #7
AussieWebmaster

AussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant futureAussieWebmaster has a brilliant future
Domain names are like good red wine... they get better with age
Old 01-02-2007   #8
glengara

glengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud ofglengara has much to be proud of
*I think EGM's idea of putting up Adsense is a real good one*

I'd be a bit wary, suspect the page may be in a kind of catch 22 situation, any attempt to monetize or sudden increase in size will lose it its' position.

FWIW, lately I've noticed a number of "dropped in G" posts from formerly well ranked informational sites that had simply added AS....
glengara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #9
vayapues
10 kinds of people in the world. Those who know binary numbers, and those who don't

vayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nicevayapues is just really nice
I recently purchased a website from a competitor that was just such a case. I had to be very careful in how I contacted him, because he had no idea how well his site was doing, and had long forgotten it even existed.

I, myself had been watching the site for nine years, and wondered why no one ever updated it. After tracking down who owned it, I sent him an offer to buy it for $500.

Because of the age of the site, and the fact that it is educational in nature, several hundred teachers had linked their classroom websites to it, giving it a pretty strong PR, and rank.

That site makes many times more than that each month now that I have put adsense on it.

Last edited by vayapues : 01-03-2007 at 02:15 PM.
vayapues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007   #10
AussieWebmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vayapues
I recently purchased a website from a competitor that was just such a case. I had to be very careful in how I contacted him, because he had no idea how well his site was doing, and had long forgotten it even existed.

I, myself had been watching the site for nine years, and wondered why no one ever updated it. After tracking down who owned it, I sent him an offer to buy it for $500.

Because of the age of the site, and the fact that it is educational in nature, several hundred teachers had linked their classroom websites to it, giving it a pretty strong PR, and rank.

That site makes many times more than that each month now that I have put adsense on it.
Nice buy..... they are getting harder to find!
Old 01-04-2007   #11
RichyP
UK Freelance SEO & Web Developer living downunder in Australia

RichyP is on a distinguished road
Picking an old domain is not always a winner. If the domain has had little in the way of content added over the years then it can be hard to get re-indexing going. Also be sure to check out the history of the domain. WayBackMachine is a good start to see what kind of content has been published under that name and you can easily spot some of the tell tale signs of bad neighbourhood linking and dodgy content.
RichyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007   #12
Chatmaster
The BIG lion of SEO

Chatmaster is on a distinguished road
If you at least gave us a keyword and domain to go with it would have been easier to give a factual reply. So here goes some general replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuh
yeh i made a web page about 4 or 5 years ago and the ntotally forgot about it,so the other day im searching and find it listed #1 in almost every search engine. I havnt a clue about seo or whatever,im just a beginner.
Domain age plays a role, although a very small one it can help in non competitive keywords. It is also possible as stated in previous replies that you have obtained some natural back links to go with it however your words of, nothing is on the site makes me doubt that.

The fact that you are mentioning only one keyword, tells me that you have a choice domain name that matches the keyword, and this might be the reason for ranking so well. Perhaps analyze your logs to see what other keywords you rank for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by uhuh
im wondering how did this happen since nothing is on the site except /index of. im also wondering if there is a way to capitalize from being first for a common keyword. if i put up a new site now,will it have an effect on the ranking?
I would not suggest that you mess around with the site to much, especially with site structure. You can add internal links and pages and modify certain sections of the site, but because you haven't worked on the site for such a long time, the odds are you are ranking well based on factors that are in place already. You have very few back links (I assume) so you have no security in place to work on if you drop rankings. If you do make changes document them in detail and make little changes at a time so you can pinpoint reasons if it drops in the ranks.

Last edited by Chatmaster : 01-04-2007 at 03:29 AM.
Chatmaster is offline   Reply With Quote